X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Awesome interview…

…awesome match. My hero…Roberta Vinci.
    Seems the crowd over there were as delighted as those at my club.

A great interview...natural...off the cuff. My wife is Italian. She loved it.
    Stotty

Comment

True "Sportsmanship"

Watch the interviews with Leander Paes (with Hingis) and Roberta Vinci to see two "journeyman" pros who really understand the true meaning of "sportsmanship".

Paes/Hingis:

Vinci:

They love the sport. They fight like hell. And they respect their opponents.

don

Just wish someone would really point out how well Vinci executed a classic agressive go-to-the-net (not necessarily s&v) strategy to keep pressure on Serena at the end of that match. She played beautifully! Instead, all the questions seem to go to how you felt about being the "spoiler" for Serena's calendar Grand Slam. Seems to me, they are kind of missing the point.

Comment

Thank you Lord…spared the Serena William "Grand Slam" party

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
        And they respect their opponents.

don

Just wish someone would really point out how well Vinci executed a classic agressive go-to-the-net (not necessarily s&v) strategy to keep pressure on Serena at the end of that match. She played beautifully! Instead, all the questions seem to go to how you felt about being the "spoiler" for Serena's calendar Grand Slam. Seems to me, they are kind of missing the point.
        Serena has never once ever shown any genuine respect for any of her opponents. Forgive me if I celebrate with great joy in not hearing her mockery of sportsmanship and having to listen to her winner's speech for winning one of the most coveted accomplishments in all of sports…The Grand Slam. My friend and real life hero Don Budge being the first to accomplish such a monolith…Serena would make a mockery of that feat. Mr. Budge's picture should be in the dictionary under the word sportsmanship.

Here…watch the highlights. Listen to the fake screaming at strategic points in the match. They get louder and louder. Look at some of the wild body gesturing after some of the shots…it's ridiculous and it sends a terrible message to anybody involved in the sport.

But as for Roberta Vinci…enough cannot be said as to how she stood up in the face of this bully and stared her down right to the end. In the third set at 3 all (8:56) in the video highlights, the "girls" played the point of the match. Serena's screams are bordering on the hysterical but Roberta keeps her cool and on the fifteenth ball of the rally she gets a short ball into the middle of the court where she wisely played a patented slice up the line to the William's "nervous and shaky" forehand. Her wisdom paid off as she played the next ball short and out of reach for the now struggling Williams. Vinci's reaction to this point is just priceless as for the first time in the match she gestures to the New York throng…"Show me some love!"…and they did. Williams flags another nervous forehand long for the key break in the match.

Of course…I never missed anything about the tactics or strategy of Vinci. Mats Wilander was all over it too. He said that it was great for women's tennis that Serena was defeated by the Italian lady and what's more that there were two Italian ladies in the finale. He discussed at length the Vinci slice backhand as he summed up the match.

I loved the way that Vinci served out the match. It was textbook. She went right for the kill when she had her opponent in her sights. She served out at love. Williams gave an almost begrudging handshake at the net as she towered over the diminutive Vinci…not a hint of graciousness. No kiss-kiss on the cheeks. Williams unceremoniously packed up her stuff and trudged off the court. Vinci went on to give one of the most inspiring interviews that I have ever heard from a tennis player. Her genuineness in stark contrast to the fake that we have come to bear from Serena. I more than anything wanted to see what Serena had to say in defeat. There was just a bit of her press conference. It wasn't pretty.

It didn't seem to me that the New York crowd was all that displeased with the results. I don't think Williams is so popular there. It was September 11th in New York yesterday…they've witnessed bigger tragedies. I say good riddance.
        Last edited by don_budge; 09-13-2015, 01:03 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Well, I was wrong: Federer in 3! Great serving, great variation. He is playing tennis the way it should be played and is a joy to watch in action. Now, I just hope he wins the final...

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            The last decade has been all about been about Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. Murray isn't up there with the other three when it comes to slams, but at least he's had a considerable impact on the 1000 events. No other player has had an impact.

When you think about it, we might as well have had challenge rounds over the last decade, where the fab four go straight to the quarters and rest of the pack play for a place to meet them.

Or the fab four might just as well have broken off from the tour and started a head-to-head series like the good old days. It feels like the game has gone full circle in that regard. In the 50's Gonzales, Hoad, Segura, Sedgman became too good for the rest.

Federer and Djokovic are playing well but sometimes it just feels like there just aren't the quality of players to give them a game. Federer will be able to play until he's 40 at this rate.

I think Wawrinka must have a chance if he has one of his purple days. But I think Phil might be right...Federer in four. I don't think Cilic has anything to trouble Djokovic...not really.

Time will tell...will it be the same old, same old final...or will there be an upset?

Serena lost. Everyone in the club where I work is delighted. It seems everyone is glad when she loses.
            Well, normal service prevails. Djokovic v Federer in the finals. No surprises then.

Still the Novak/Roger finals are always the best. The machine versus the artist. I wonder if Roger will come up with the goods this time? I wonder if we will see different tactics? I think Roger has become a better player as standards have risen as he's been forced to start employing tactics. In days gone by he just outplayed everyone. Roger has so much in his arsenal when you think about it. He has the widest array of tools out there.

I didn't see Federer's semi with Wawrinka but I did watch Novak demolish Cilic. Novak maybe coming into top form just at the right time...as always.

I have a feeling we will see some half volley returns from Roger in the final.
            Stotty

Comment

Opening salvo…Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              I didn't see Federer's semi with Wawrinka but I did watch Novak demolish Cilic. Novak maybe coming into top form just at the right time...as always.
              Marin Cilic was playing on a bad ankle…horror of horrors when playing Novak Djokovic. He was helpless. Wawrinka was in top form.
              don_budge

Comment

Federer playing well, but more importantly, he's playing smarter.
                He finally seems to be talking like a true attacking player and serve and volleyer. He's discussed the cumulative pressure he is implementing on opponents and thetactical optons he has in doing so. The 2005-2007 Federer was a better player, but the 2015 Federer is much smarter. And that's a beautiful thing. He needs to be if he wants a chance at Djokovic.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 09-12-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

What a great final it should be. Djokovic is slight favorite per oddsmakers at 8/11, Fed at 11/10. LicensedCoach has spot on pointed out Fed had been here a lot in the last 3 plus years, knocking on the door and just short. He has me going again, I think he is going to do it this time.

Serena in her post match interview(after Vinci match), on US Open site, is in vintage form, the very essence of Serena. She never surprises of disappoints.

Comment

Federer Volleying

Federer volleyed beautifully - some great low volleys. federer may not get down as low as Edberg on the low volleys but yesterday his feel on them was amazing. The serve and volley took away Stan's block slice return. Just great to watch.

Comment

Savoring a replay…a Grand Slam saved

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                      Serena in her post match interview(after Vinci match), on US Open site, is in vintage form, the very essence of Serena. She never surprises of disappoints.
                      No she doesn't. She never surprises or disappoints. I watched a replay of the third set just now. It makes me so happy to see her lose. There has never been a single player in the history of the game that has ever had this effect on me. Fafa Nadal is even a distant second.

Rewatching her behavior and psyche tactic screaming and body gesturing…it's nauseating. Seeing her robbed of the Slam was the best thing that I have seen in months. Her performance in the interview was vintage. No credit to her opponent…just a couple of mumbled snide remarks.

The Italian Vinci on the other hand was just a joy. It will be such a pleasure to watch these two play in the final. I actually will watch the LADIES final of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time in well over a year. It scares me as to how close we were to watching a "Williams" celebration of a Grand Slam.

That point where Vinci takes the ball in the middle of the court and slices wisely down the line really sticks out…especially the sight of Serena futilely running clear across the court in a futile effort to track it down. The reaction of Vinci is just so clearly spontaneous and refreshing.

In her interview with Mats and Barbara she said that when she was sitting there preparing to serve it out at 5-4 she told herself that she would lose that game and it would be 5-5 and then she could just…you know…relax and go out and play. Roberta was like a breath of fresh air on the New York skyline. Proving once again…there is a God. Thank you Lord.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 09-12-2015, 05:36 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by EdWeiss View Post
                        Federer volleyed beautifully - some great low volleys. federer may not get down as low as Edberg on the low volleys but yesterday his feel on them was amazing. The serve and volley took away Stan's block slice return. Just great to watch.
                        Federer's volleys are getting better all the time. But you are right, he never really gets down to low volleys as he might, especially on the forehand wing...never seems gets as near to eye level as someone like Edberg.

Klacr thinks Federer was a better player in 2005 to 2007 but plays smarter now. I think Federer is a better player now than he was back then...and he's playing smarter. Federer says the same of himself. Yet he isn't winning the slams.

He has just one player to wrestle with right now. The last two slams they played were Wimbledon. Roger lost twice in his own backyard. Tomorrow he's on Novak's best surface.

The pundits over here are erring towards Roger yet again because his play and form have been so stunning. Wawrinka and Murray say Federer is serving better than ever...they should know.

I still think Roger's net game needs to be at it's very best to win...so let's hope he gets down a little lower to those volleys.
                        Stotty

Comment

Let's talk about the real winners....Pennetta and Vinci!

Great sportsmanship, all-court play and great smiles. I love these women. And Pennetta wins the US Open, then announces retirement. I know she's engaged to Fabio Fognini, but if that doesn't work out...Flavia, give me a call. I can learn Italian quickly if you insist.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

The Italian Ladies…U. S. Open Champions

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            Let's talk about the real winners....Pennetta and Vinci!

Great sportsmanship, all-court play and great smiles. I love these women. And Pennetta wins the US Open, then announces retirement. I know she's engaged to Fabio Fognini, but if that doesn't work out...Flavia, give me a call. I can learn Italian quickly if you insist.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Beautifully said. I love them too. I'm guessing Stotty does too. We all do. We got to see this instead of you know what…

Such a sweet scene to see these two embrace in their magic moment. Genuine heart felt emotion. Love…for your fellow man who just happens to be your competitor on a given day. These two grew up together.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 09-13-2015, 11:23 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              I love them too. I'm guessing Stotty does too. We all do. We got to see this instead of you know what…

Such a sweet scene to see these two embrace in their magic moment. Genuine heart felt emotion. Love…for your fellow man who just happens to be your competitor on a given day. These two grew up together.
                              Yes I do. A breath of fresh air. What a way to congratulate and console...an embrace.
                              Stotty

Comment

Sadly, there was this moment in the quarterfinals...
                                Serena after an incredible backhand winner yells "Yes Bitch Yes" while pumping her fist in direction of her opponent Roberta Vinci

https://youtu.be/RsiZB9oEN40

Serena supporters will say she was talking to herself for some motivation. But thats is some pretty intense and negative self talk.

Wonder what we would do or say if Nick Kyrgios did the same thing?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9887 users online. 5 members and 9882 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X