2015 U. S. Open…ATP 2000…Flushing Meadows, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Sadly, there was this moment in the quarterfinals...
    Serena after an incredible backhand winner yells "Yes Bitch Yes" while pumping her fist in direction of her opponent Roberta Vinci

https://youtu.be/RsiZB9oEN40

Serena supporters will say she was talking to herself for some motivation. But thats is some pretty intense and negative self talk.

Wonder what we would do or say if Nick Kyrgios did the same thing?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    To me, it is not sadly, it was just Serena doing what she does and being who she is. I was not aware of that moment, I cannot watch her matches with her maniacal screaming and on court histrionics, not to mention almost enabling commentators covering her matches.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      To me, it is not sadly, it was just Serena doing what she does and being who she is. I was not aware of that moment, I cannot watch her matches with her maniacal screaming and on court histrionics
      Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Sadly, there was this moment in the quarterfinals...
      Serena after an incredible backhand winner yells "Yes Bitch Yes" while pumping her fist in direction of her opponent Roberta Vinci

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      If Serena had won I would be calling it the "Damn Slam".
      I have never known a player like Serena who oozes of a personality that virtually everyone you meet dislikes. The negative feelings she evokes in relatively mild mannered people is quite incredible.
      Stotty

Comment

I distrust the mild mannered people.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
          I have never known a player like Serena who oozes of a personality that virtually everyone you meet dislikes. The negative feelings she evokes in relatively mild mannered people is quite incredible.
          One thing I have observed, she is ok when everything is going her way. Otherwise, not so much. I'm not sure that is really a positive though.

Comment

I think you're wrong. I think she's just fine, with a kind of serenity that evokes not only her name but Buddha. P.S. Her critics suck.
            Last edited by bottle; 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              To me, it is not sadly, it was just Serena doing what she does and being who she is. I was not aware of that moment, I cannot watch her matches with her maniacal screaming and on court histrionics, not to mention almost enabling commentators covering her matches.
              True. Her lack of graciousness is all too well documented. More surprising, was her inability to handle the situation on the court. She wins that match 9 out of 10 times against her. She was so uptight, nervous, and her lethargic footwork was incredible. Couldn't handle the stage..

EVERYONE needs a dose of humility once in a while, and she received it in spades. Lets see how this plays out. Early indications are, she is, and will always be, the same old Serena.

Comment

2015 U. S. Open Men's Singles Final…Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic

As for the U. S. Open. We shall see what we shall see. Three our of five is a different story. If Federer can keep finishing the "foreplay" in record speed he might have a chance to be around at the end…to get to the finals. But this is the challenge…as he said in his post match interview. He has to get to the finals to have a shot at the title. That's from the horse's mouth…and what a stud that horse is.
                I wrote this after the Roger Federer win in Cincinnati. I have written many things over the past four years...and it is drawing to a close. The end of the line. Roger Federer is in decline. Roger said in his post match interview after beating Novak Djokovic a couple of weeks ago that his goal was to get to the finals of the U. S. Open. Not to win it...but to get to the finals.

As everything that this tennis player does on the tennis court and in preparation to go onto the tennis court...it was sheer brilliance. I wonder if he knew how brilliant it was at the time. I wonder if he remembers now that he has achieved his goal. By making the finals he has made good on his goal and everything on top of this is gravy. He can go for broke and let it all hang out. One could say that he has nothing to lose at this point in the tournament.

He has sped through the draw in perhaps unprecedented speed and now it is time. Foreplay aside...this is the real thing. The final act. Roger Federer vs. Novak Djokovic.

Maintaining pressure on your opponent. Perfect service motions enabling the player to dominate his serve and giving him the opportunity to put pressure on his opponents. Roger went to work immediately…putting enormous pressure on the Djokovic serve while holding his own like greased lightning. Novak's service games were taking an average of over four minutes and Roger was completing his in under two. There's the game…maintaining pressure on your opponent. Keep the pressure up and the opponent is going to have to crack and crack he did…in the tie-break.

Amazing that the whole tennis planet starts to salivate because of some rather standard net play and net approaches. The serving was the key…it was the gold standard once again. Federer used to be a serve and volleyer…he hasn't discovered anything. He may have found something that had been lost. The same might be said for his slice backhand…that was also instrumental in his victory yesterday, if not as obvious. It was the closest thing we are going to see to Classic Tennis…the same could be said of his match with Andy Murray.
                Yep...I wrote this too. Here’s the thing. Pressure? It’s been all one-sided. It’s been all Roger Federer every step of the way. He never missed a beat since that final two weeks ago. He did everything he could to give himself a shot at this match tonight. Each match at the U. S. Open Roger took it up a notch and played well enough to pass through the tournament without the loss of a set. Remarkable stuff...if you ask me.

The pressure that he has put on his opponents has been relentless. His new trademark tactic of taking the second serve on the second bounce has gotten into their heads and only serves to disorient them another degree...he’s using everything he can get his hands on these days. His serving? It’s been immaculate...has he lost it once? It’s still the gold standard.

The match with Stan Wawrinka defied the imagination. Stan himself could only acknowledge just how well Roger Federer is currently playing. He only took his hat off and had nothing but high praise. Deservedly so...he just ambushed Wawrinka. Wawrinka was in excellent form too...he had demolished a red hot Kevin Anderson in the quarterfinals himself. In short...coupled with Federer so impressively dominating his side of the draw and his run at the Western & Southern a couple of weeks ago...I better be careful here...he is the favorite tonight.

The stadium is playing fast according to Wawrinka. According to everyone. Federer’s attack has been relentless. Roger has reached his goal at the Open and now he can just go out and play the best tennis that he knows how to. Novak Djokovic for his part has played apparently flawlessly as well. He announced after his first match he was sending a message to the locker room with his “great play”. Roger did no such thing.

Novak appeared to play great against Marin Cilic but I saw Marin turn that ankle against Tsonga the round before and I am certain that he was at least a half a step slow against Novak. This doesn’t take anything away from Djokovic but it does have one subtle effect. Novak is left wondering just where he is at in terms of his level. The slightest bit of doubt. If the conditions are right today in New York...we will see the “Once and Future King” once more with a new and improved “Excalibur”.

Roger Federer is the “Living Proof” in my coaching paradigm. Tonight he is poised and ready. Everything will have to stack up perfectly for him. He gives away at least six years and so many trips around the planet. He's giving away a lot of miles every time he steps on the court with Djokovic. But his preparation has been immaculate for the last couple of years. This is the moment it was all pointing towards. We shall see what we shall see. It’s what we have all been waiting for.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

You're right: On to the men. But as to the other stuff, I have to say: What is it with people who overly admire Donald Trump and object to "political correctness" and yet are oblivious when Donald Trump starts talking about other people's manners? Who the hell does he think he is? A fairy impersonating Miss Manners or Emily Post? Give me an honest gay person any day who doesn't pretend to be something he or she isn't. An insistence on an athlete's perfect behavior at all times reveals a wish to be politically correct and the delusion that one is Emily Post.

How can I trust somebody who thinks it touching when two white Italian women embrace but goes right by two black women doing the same thing-- and it WAS touching, especially Serena's face, which was that of a little girl who loves her big sister.

People here criticize Serena Williams' behavior after she missed a calendar slam by a whisker? If I were an athletic director and you were a tennis coach in my program and you criticized one of our college players who showed frustration after just missing the NCAA singles championship you're gone, you're fired, sorry, no back pay either.

Comment

On to the men...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                    You're right: On to the men.
                    I'm always right.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 09-13-2015, 11:26 PM.
                    don_budge

Comment

To me it is pretty simple. Players like Vinci and Flavia are just nice, genuine people. A lot of folks just see it and get it.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
                        True. Her lack of graciousness is all too well documented. More surprising, was her inability to handle the situation on the court. She wins that match 9 out of 10 times against her. She was so uptight, nervous, and her lethargic footwork was incredible. Couldn't handle the stage..

EVERYONE needs a dose of humility once in a while, and she received it in spades. Lets see how this plays out. Early indications are, she is, and will always be, the same old Serena.
                        as usual, spot on

Comment

I spent a tenner today for a SKY day pass to watch the men's final...but it won't stop raining. Nearly bedtime here over the pond. At this rate I will have to wait until I wake up to know the result.

I wonder if playing later will slow the conditions up?

Feeling a bit miffed. Roll on that roof for next year...
                          Stotty

Comment

Zzzzzz….

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            I spent a tenner today for a SKY day pass to watch the men's final...but it won't stop raining. Nearly bedtime here over the pond. At this rate I will have to wait until I wake up to know the result.

I wonder if playing later will slow the conditions up?

Feeling a bit miffed. Roll on that roof for next year...
                            It came and it went. I never stirred…sound asleep. It was a great tournament. It's nearly over now.
                            don_budge

Comment

The Highlights…

It came and it went. I never stirred…sound asleep. It was a great tournament. It's nearly over now.
                              Here are the highlights. Federer did not look particularly sharp in the first set and he needed to be. He needed to get on top to stay on top. It was an uphill battle after that and if there is one player who is tough to play uphill against…it's Novak Djokovic.
                              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

Serena is playing injured.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8629 users online. 7 members and 8622 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X