• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
    thank you.

Tine Scheuer-Larsen
    Yaroslavl Shvedova
    Julian Reister

The other ones listed were not officially sanctioned world tour events or fed/davis cup.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

• McEnroe vs. Scanlon...

Head to head records for players in men's professional tennis. View rivalry results and stats for matches on the ATP Tour.

John McEnroe versus Bill Scanlon career head to head…9-3.

Scanlon's overall record…career 298-258. He played McEnroe tough. He had more motivation than vice versa.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• John McEnroe and Peter McNamara…1982

Peter Fleming and John McEnroe versus Peter McNamara and Peter McNamee. The two Australians are using Prince racquets and the two Americans are using standard sized wood racquets in the 1982 Wimbledon men's doubles final. Look at match point and how futile it is to play at such a disadvantage. Roger Federer for years gave up approximately 10 square inches to his opponents. Imagine giving up 40 from traditional wood to the Prince…in doubles multiply that by two.

In 1981 John McEnroe has switched racquets. He has left his beloved Wilson Pro Staff in favor of the ultra traditional Dunlop Maxply Fort. The rest of the tennis world is going oversized yet he takes a half step backwards, if anything, in switching to the Maxply which has the reputation of being the most difficult of racquets to play. The most difficult, that is, unless you are an absolute Maestro of the game. It's a magic wand as McEnroe says in his autobiography.

Here at the 1982 Seiko Open in Japan it is none other than John McEnroe versus Peter McNamara in the finals. McEnroe using the specially custom made Dunlop Maxply Fort that he has switched to sometime after his 1980 Wimbledon Final against Bjorn Borg and McNamara is using a Prince 110 something or other…it may even be the "Woodie".

You can see the difference in attitude from the fresh faced John McEnroe of 1978 in Maui and the annoyed and irritated John McEnroe of 1982. Something has changed.

The last all wood tennis racquet Wimbledon Final was the final of 1981. None other than the greatest tennis rivalry of the Open era…Bjorn Borg versus John McEnroe. McEnroe is using his newly designed Dunlop Maxply. Borg will lose this final to McEnroe and go on to retire shortly. He leaves the tour at the height of the racquet heist only to return years later with the same Donnay wooden tennis racquet in a futile, albeit mysterious comeback attempt. He comes back using the traditional wood racquet while the tennis world has moved on to oversized graphite. Was he making some kind of statement. McEnroe on the other hand has switched to an even more difficult racquet to play than his Wilson…he is going in the opposite direction of the tennis world.

The deep philosophic question is "why"? Is it because of some ultra deep faithfulness to the traditional game? I believe that this is the case and the proof is irrefutable.

McEnroe goes on to rule the "new" tennis world ever so briefly. In 1984 he has arguably one of the greatest years ever in professional tennis. Certainly it is the greatest of the Open era. 1984 was the year that the game completely transitioned from the traditional wooden racquet era to the modern graphite oversized. McEnroe never won a single Grand Slam title after that. The game had passed him by because of the style that he played. The new game took the artistic and subtle nuances that the McEnroe game was based on and took on a power emphasis. His nerves and his psyche were virtually at the breaking point and the strain was beginning to show. He unraveled right in the public eye which may have been particularly troublesome for such a shy and sensitive personality.

His outbursts usually were due to perceived cheating and incompetence on the part of officials. I know one thing…when he was playing against opponents that used oversized racquets against him and he was using traditional wood…he felt that he was being cheated in the most obvious way. Being the "professional" that he was…he was obligated to keep his mouth shut about the "fix" and he was paid a kings ransom to do so. He was like a Don Quixote figure…futilely waving his "magic wands" at the "windmill graphite monstrosities" of the future.
        Last edited by don_budge; 02-25-2016, 01:57 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Nobility or Stupidity?

budge...you continually wax romantico about the McEnroes, Borgs or Scanlons--or whoever--who were hesitant to go from wimpy little wood to bigger, powerful graphite in the 80's. This may be reflective of some sort of paean to someone's subjective sense of nobility and artistry. But, in my opinion, it has always been, and still seems to be a sign of mishuganance.

If wood was so precious to them, and graphite so aesthetically repulsive, they all should have quit in their mid-twenties like that other Faux Existentialist-your countryman Borg. (I remain unconvinced that this is why he quit, by the way. The guy has always had mental problems. Or call it burn-out, or whatever. Same thing).

Professional tennis is your job, your business. The goal is to win money! And make a living! That's job one. Anyone engaging in this endeavor owes it to himself and his family to do anything permitted by the rules in order to do just that.

I'm a writer. I make money doing it. From 1978 to 1983 I produced thirteen typewriter versions of a 175 page book--Two-Handed Tennis--to get it to publishable quality. That looks like torture to me now! Why would I want to go back and work on a typewriter again? It would cost me money!

That--to me--would be akin to these eighties players sticking with wood when everybody else was starting to blow them away with better equipment. Which is the reason that ninety-five percent (or more) of them were completely happy to make the change. They didn't need any prompting. Why? They were pragmatic businessmen. They prefered winning over losing. They exhibited common sense. They preferred financial solvency over relative poverty. They didn't permit themselves the self-indulgent luxury to go about flailing at windmills.

Duh!!

Now let's talk about Borg--and you. I haven't personally attacked you for three or four days and so I'm feeling eager and excited to get back on the horse. I beat my dog and still felt hollow and incomplete. So here goes. It's your turn now.

Do you recall my offer to work with you, through psychotherapy, in addressing your anomie, alienation, and depression? And yours, and Borg's, real problem--Recurrent Faux Existential Crisis. This malady goes by different names in different parts of the developed world. Sometimes we psychologists call it Recreational Existential Crisis. Or Hobbyist Recreational Existential Crisis. I've even hear it referred to as Rich Man's Existential Crisis.

We're talking mainly about the U.S. Northern Europe, Australia, and Japan. Mexicans don't have this syndrome. They don't have the time. They're too busy working for $2.50 an hour. They have to survive--first!! (Like smart, normal 80's tennis players).

Some intellectually inclined wealthy people--like you and Borg--revel in seeking mysery. It enables them to see themselves as deep, senstive and complex. They love this Idealized Image. It allows them to align themselves with actual noble poor, and intellectual people who have real reasons to be miserable. Mostly poverty. The Russian writers that you like so much are in this category.

It has a little bit in common with the old, classic identification of those in the industrialized nations with the "noble savage."

But let's be clear. This Hobby Existential Crisis Syndrome has nothing in common with the classic Early Twentieth Century Existentialism of Sartre, Beckett or Kiekegaard.

So cut it out already!! I can't have you sniveling, whining, moping or crying when we walk into that room for the Borg interview. He knows me because there are umpteen pictures of him in my first book. I can't have my reputation sullied through a guilt by association phenomenon.

O.K.? Thanks.

Let me know when you want to formalize our relationship. I have been your de facto therapist for some time now. But like the smart pratical people I extol here, I too need to make a living. So here's how this works. We continue to work daily through our computers. You need to deposit 1000 Kronerbobs in my PayPal account every week.

Comment

• The Forgotten Genius of Bill Scanlon

budge, and his ladies fair. Just wanted you all to know that I haven't forogtten about my promise to produce the Bill Scanlon Manifesto. But it's way to big to post. So now it's a full-length article that I shall submit to the editorial board in the customary fashion.

The working title is: The Forgotten Genius of Bill Scanlon. There are also two subtitles: 1) The Multiple Ways in Which Scanlon Was Better Than McEnroe and 2) The One Way in Which McEnroe Was Superior to Scanlon--and 99% of the Rest of the Pack. And Why.

I can only hope that you do not think it is in the "bottom third."

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/playe...nroe/S017/M047

John McEnroe versus Bill Scanlon career head to head…9-3.

Scanlon's overall record…career 298-258. He played McEnroe tough. He had more motivation than vice versa.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/playe...x-atp-win-loss

Comment

• "Big" Difference...

Yes. Le Qwa. Heckler in his latter years was much "bigger" than the Great One to whom I still communicate telepathically. Tim--God rest his soul-- spent too much time at the Soup Plantation.

I miss Vic. Is there one story you can provide us from your Travels with Vic? Anything. Did you get any traffic tickets? Did you eat at Der Wienerschnitzel? He loved their menu. Golf maybe? Church? He was quite religious. But, what am I doing nere? You tell us. Please. Thanks.

And by the way, I put my right hand on Tennis for the Future the other day. I looked skyward and whispered: "Do you remember Le Qwa?"

The following day I received the answer: "Yes, I do."

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              I met Mr. Braden and drove him in 2003. You met him at a convention in 1993. He didn't know me back then. No career in the NFL for me, I think this tennis thing is working out just fine.
              Confident it wasn't Tim Heckler. There's a "big" difference.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

• We Are Sympatico At Last...

bottle...Yes, Trump will be president not so much for anything he believes. I was guilty in trying to identify an actual policy position that some might care about. Truth be told, I was being too cute by half. His attitude, confidence and body language will do the trick.

It brings to mind that Sammel article: Locker Room Power. There was nothing new in there. But it was so profound.

We are ready for the anti-Obama. It's a classic example of a "political reaction formation."

I really like your Fatalism, with it's (sic) juicy patina of Nihilism. The latter is immensely more appealing and attractive than the dangerous Anarchism that drips like blood off the majority of posts of a certain someone else who tends to be somewhat active on this website. Too active actually.

What's his name? Help me.

The deal is that Nihilism contains the qixotic appeal of "oblivion" and an "oceanic experience." It explains the presence of "death cults" throughout history.

Anarchism, on the other hand, is scary. It brings to mind images of spoiled, rich punks wearing red head bands, rampaging through the streets of Long Island with Dunlop Fort racquets screaming, and breaking down the social order.

And so yes..the American Empire is in decline. And just like with Rome it will be due more to the enemy within--which was formerly the enemy without. Slow infiltration by involuntary sabateurs rather than stampeding foreign armies will eventually crack the coconut.

Bring on the night. "The Big Sleep"

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                I liked both of these interviews. Tennis player and other athlete interviews are predictably awful-- back then and now and forever-- so McEnroe and Scanlon here are remarkable exceptions.

As the result of the usual fare I have come to detest ballboys and ballgirls. They simply have been thanked too much. So let's put them in a rocket and send them to the Andromeda Galaxy, but eating them will be less expensive.

Now as to Trump: That last post of JeffMac is pretty great. (I loved the energy of it and therefore had to read it out loud. Try it, reader, I dare you.) But JeffMac brings up the pending presidency of Donald Trump, throws it in my face as it were.

But is Trump's election news? Of course he is going to win. Because his name is Trump. No other explanation is as good.

But who cares? The world had to end sometime, didn't it? We who still are alive will simply look for small amusements to pass the time-- which won't be long-- until the end of the Roman-- I mean American empire-- and with it the relegation of Earth...

Well, there won't be any historian around, but if there were, Doris Kearns Goodwin would write, "First there were Kochroaches. Then there were cockroaches."

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffMac View Post
                  Yes. Le Qwa. Heckler in his latter years was much "bigger" than the Great One to whom I still communicate telepathically. Tim--God rest his soul-- spent too much time at the Soup Plantation.

I miss Vic. Is there one story you can provide us from your Travels with Vic? Anything. Did you get any traffic tickets? Did you eat at Der Wienerschnitzel? He loved their menu. Golf maybe? Church? He was quite religious. But, what am I doing nere? You tell us. Please. Thanks.

And by the way, I put my right hand on Tennis for the Future the other day. I looked skyward and whispered: "Do you remember Le Qwa?"

I've told the story a few years back on this forum. May have to search for it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Here you go...Posted on October 6th 2014 at 01:37 PM

Subscribers and forum regulars,

I don't like to start threads close to when John Yandell publishes his new issues because I rather have the focus be on the great work of John and all the other contributors that make it possible, but I feel this thread is warranted.

I just received word that Vic Braden has passed away. First Welby Van Horn and now Vic Braden. One great tennis mind needed a companion up in heaven I guess. Vic's research, analysis and overall passion for teaching, learning and sharing the game was inspiring and infectious. I had the ultimate privilege of spending personal time with Mr. Braden. I picked him up at the airport to drive him to the Ferris State University campus. The ride normally lasts 50 minutes or so from Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids.

As Vic got in my car, a flood of information, stories, anecdotes and life advice was given to me. I was eating all of it up. I began seeing mile signs for our destination that was approaching. As each sign passed, the number began to shrink signaling we were getting closer to the end of our personal "drive time". So I took matters into my own hands and drove off the interstate onto a rural dirt road. A scenic route of sorts. The idea was not to show Mr. Braden the beauty of Western Michigan in the spring time, it was to prolong our time together. Every minute with Vic was more information for my brain to soak up and soak in. We finally arrived at our destination. After two hours! That decision to extend the drive, keep Mr. Braden hostage unbeknownst to him, and extract as much of his time and attention was truly a selfish move on my part. But it is one selfish maneuver I do not regret.

We kept in touch after his trip to Michigan. He offered me an opportunity to work with him and we exchanged numerous emails with one another offering advice and words of support for each other's latest projects.

I hope they get tennisplayer.net in heaven. I hope Vic reads this. I hope he enjoyed his time during that drive as much as I did. Tennis has lost a pioneer and a tennis fan.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Last edited by klacr; 02-26-2016, 05:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      thank you.

Tine Scheuer-Larsen
                      Yaroslavl Shvedova
                      Julian Reister

The other ones listed were not officially sanctioned world tour events or fed/davis cup.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Kind of off the theme of the thread, but the Shvedova match was against Errani in a year when Errani was #1 in the world in doubles and less than a year from when Errani achieved a #5 in the world in singles ranking.

don

Comment

• You're Too Nice!!

Thanks Kyle. That was very interesting. Really. I wish you were mean like Watcher, budge and bottle. It's hard to be snarky with you. Could you do something for me? Send me some mean emails attacking my character so that I can send you scathing responses.

I'm sad tonight because I have not be been attacked by either budge or bottle. budge and bottle. Sounds like a doubles team. And you're too kind.

Here you go...Posted on October 6th 2014 at 01:37 PM

Comment

• It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

As far as sending you scathing emails, not sure what that would ever accomplish in the purpose of my growth and understanding. I'm sure we all have different reasons for joining this forum, I have mine, and mine are not to incite, enrage or instigate fury, madness or disappointment but to learn more about tennis and become a better teacher. That's not to say that I don't have strong opinions on tennis and life, trust me, I have some wild ones, ones that would make even the most radical blush, but my opinions are secondary to my main goal and I choose to focus on what will make me better.

Everyone on this forum adds to the discussion and flavor of the dialogue. Much like a mirepoix aids in the aromatics of a great dish. If they were all like me it would be pretty boring and If I was like all of them, it would skew or sway the tone and also be pretty boring. I appreciate everyone on this forum for what they provide, not what they may take away. Even if what they provide may not coincide with my opinions, its always great to hear their passion in written form. Carry on.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

• I am a Kyle fan! Kyle for president! (I think a lot of the candidates could learn how to behave from Kyle...)
                            Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-27-2016, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I'm sad tonight because I have not be been attacked by either budge or bottle. budge and bottle. Sounds like a doubles team.
                              You shouldn't have placated me!

Comment

• Or like a 1761-established restaurant at the lower end of the killer mountain road where my friend Sandy and I used to sled in Garrison, New York, The Bird & Bottle (http://www.thebirdandbottleinn.com/).
                                Last edited by bottle; 02-27-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7826 users online. 4 members and 7822 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X