• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klizan and Trump

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    No idea what you are talking about...
    I think that's probably right.

Now: Martin Klizan seems as much of a jackass as John McEnroe or Donald Trump-- if in fact McEnroe and Trump are jackasses.

In his most recent match with Nicholas Mahut, Klizan succeeded in creating a distraction by performing a weird somersault along the baseline when the match got extremely tight. This led to his immediate saving of two match points. The contest went to a third set.

I put on my dark robe, convinced that I had just witnessed poor sportsmanship. I turned off the TV and don't even know who won but hope it was Mahut.

In addition Klizan was extremely theatrical and kept drawing the wrong kind of attention to himself.

And he is a grunter/screamer. Could not his coach tell him he can get the same muscle loosening from prolonged exhalation by pursing his mouth like Donald Trump? He then wouldn't have to yell.

I thought the big pooh-bahs were going to grandfather Azarenka and Sharapova and phase such shrieking out. Or was that only in the W.T.A. ?

Lastly, Klizan is left-handed.
    Last edited by bottle; 02-13-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bottle View Post
      I think that's probably right.

Now: Martin Klizan seems as much of a jackass as John McEnroe or Donald Trump-- if in fact McEnroe and Trump are jackasses.

In his most recent match with Nicholas Mahut, Klizan succeeded in creating a distraction by performing a weird somersault along the baseline when the match got extremely tight. This led to his immediate saving of two match points. The contest went to a third set.

I put on my dark robe, convinced that I had just witnessed poor sportsmanship. I turned off the TV and don't even know who won but hope it was Mahut.

In addition Klizan was extremely theatrical and kept drawing the wrong kind of attention to himself.

And he is a grunter/screamer. Could not his coach tell him he can get the same muscle loosening from prolonged exhalation by pursing his mouth like Donald Trump? He then wouldn't have to yell.

I thought the big pooh-bahs were going to grandfather Azarenka and Sharapova and phase such shrieking out. Or was that only in the W.T.A. ?

Lastly, Klizan is left-handed.
      Klizan won. Sorry.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

• Watching Theim play Nadal in Argentina Open, I think he could be a future French Open winner in his career.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Watching Theim play Nadal in Argentina Open, I think he could be a future French Open winner in his career.
          Thiem played well and deserved his win. He really thumps the ball at times and is a great shot maker.

Nadal is still shadow of his former self. He seems to have lost his nerve.
          Stotty

Comment

• The Frankenroe Monster

Finally a voice of sanity! Yes, it makes sense that McEnroe probably modeled on Nastase. But who is really to blame for the creation of the Frankenroe Monster?

There's plenty of blame to go around. First there's Frankenroe himself. Then there are the aiding and abetting, blood thirsty fans. Guys like Stotty, who I would not have expected to be so injudicious. But, I think the main culprits are the various governing bodies of tennis. If they would have come down on this guy when he was twenty with severe fines, punishments and suspensions we wouldn't still be having this discussion about his comportment thirty-five years later.

This proves, once again, for the 100th Trillion time that money will cause the disavowal of morality faster than anything else. That said, the unwillingness of the tour to sanction Frankenroe represents perhaps the greatest moral failure in the history of professional tennis.

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
            I agree with the spirit of the post above and most of the details. Having been a fan both before and after the Rude Era, I can only look back in wonder at the horrible behavior that was countenanced by the tennis establishment purely for the sake of filthy lucre.

I would not, however, lay the blame straight on McEnroe. Instead I would introduce the Rude Era with its pied piper, Illie Nastase. He, it seems to me, was the first to make shouting, clowning, and mimicry of his opponent standard fare. McEnroe's time really came as Illie's was ending. The money was growing at a tremendous rate. This incentivized big ego attention grabbing on the player's part and tolerance on the tournament director's. IMHO.

Comment

• Still Feeling the "Bern..."

Just as I expected Boone's Farm bottle. You've been drinking that Kommie Kool-Aid up there in your native Vermont stomping grounds. That Paradise of the unreconstructed Hippie. But you're wasting your vote.

Here's why: Hillary will be indicted for global dishonesty and placed under house arrest in a 6' X 6' cell beneath the state department for the duration of her life. Bernie will back into the nomination as the DNC quivers and quakes. Trump will then wipe the floor with Bernie in the general, as "angry, old white men," like me turn out at the polls for the first time in decades--thus assuring our final day in the sun before soon thereafter spending eternity in Purgatory.

Now, since it is a fact that over half of the presidents in U.S. history have left office with low approval ratings, why not have a president who will make us laugh and entertain us as he undermines, angers and disillusions us?

Obama is a perfect example of a president who has greatly disappointed and under performed, but can't compensate for his failures in governance with a good stand up comedy routine. Ditto the Bushes (X2). I'm tired of this pedestrian sort of boring, failed president.

This will be Trump's saving grace. If he disappoints the majority of us--as very well could happen--he will, at least, keep us in stitches. Every day we will wake up and say, "What will President Trump do or say today that I can't afford to miss? Who will he insult? Who won't he insult? Will he water board Hillary? Or maybe McEnroe?"

This is the kind of interesting and compelling president that I want to see in office and all over my TV screen 24/7 for the next eight years. The "Dear Leader" I've been waiting for my entire life. A combination of statesman, stand-up comic and general raconteur.

Now, some say that Trump is a xenophobic nativist. I don't see it that way. All of those seemingly condemnatory statements he makes about Mexicans--including Jeb Bush's undocumented wife--OTMs, Muslims, and Africa-Americans are just jokes he is trying out. He's just wants to make us laugh. Happy Americans are Americans more likely to vote. And pull the lever for the source of that laughter.

He's totally benign.

And I for one am laughing my ass off! I count the days until Inauguration Day 2017.

Originally posted by bottle View Post
              What gives you the arrogance to assume that John McEnroe is my hero? It is the parts of his game that I can (and have!) utilized in my own game that interest me. Miguel de Cervantes and Michel de Montaigne are my heroes. Besides, I don't think most of the people in this thread are really discussing McEnroe but rather Donald Trump. And furthermore, angry etiquette speeches whether from Donald Trump or anyone else suck worse than John McEnroe's worst behavior while in his youth out on the court (and on the Plowshares tour, too). You guys should get long poles with feathers on them and go to church in Salem and tickle anyone who is falling asleep. And then use the feathers to irritate everyone else. But don't forget to wear black hats and long black robes. Say hello to Donald for me.

Comment

• I found this BBC program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki53vWYLrMs

Make up your own mind....
                Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-13-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  Watching Theim play Nadal in Argentina Open, I think he could be a future French Open winner in his career.
                  Austrian French Open Champ. Move over Muster!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

• Not so fast, he only beat in 3 tough sets a fully out of form Nadal...
                    Takes more than that to win RG...

Comment

• I am not saying Theim is now the favorite for the FO. I just think his age, endurance, and strokes look like a future FO winner to me maybe in the next 5 years or so.

Comment

• Just remember Nadal was 19 when he won his first RG.

Comment

• Good guy/Bad guy…in politics and theatre it is Protagonist and Antagonist

Originally posted by JeffMac View Post
                          ...as "angry, old white men," like me turn out at the polls for the first time in decades...

And I for one am laughing my ass off! I count the days until Inauguration Day 2017.
                          That's great JeffMac. Angry, old white man. So that makes at least three of you. I'm outnumbered…in the minority. That doesn't necessarily make me wrong. I've learned this much from all of the angry, old white guys that I have known all of my life. Before everyone got all perfectly prim and correct. Politically correct. I'm so thankful I am none of that. But you're laughing your ass off at everyone…especially me and John McEnroe.

How is it that you have any ass left at all? But don't worry your vote doesn't count anyways. My father got a bit miffed at me when I told him his vote didn't count either. None of your votes count. The fix is in. What a parade, what a charade…each election gets stranger and weirder than the one before it. It's the power of information. You are being manipulated…be it the BBC or CNN. It's labelling all the way…all of the time.

Take your pick…there really isn't any. Which leads me to the question…what did McEnroe do that was so bad…so wrong? How did he draw so much of your ire? If you can phantom the level of deceit and treachery in the good old American election process and everything that implies…logically this is where your anger should be directed. Pathological losers! Metaphors aside.

But back to John McEnroe. Here's a nice match at the Garden pitting none other than "Holier than Thou" Arthur Ashe against John McEnroe. Arthur gives Ilie Nastase a lecture on behavior after Nasty handed him his ass in the finals of the 1972 U. S. Open. The other scapegoat.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cmEH0y0fA0)

It was totally uncalled for…but Ashe was biting a bullet that was much too big for one man. I really liked and respected Arthur in spite of his holier than thou attitude…nobody is perfect. Ashe in general was a credit to his race…the human race no less. Nobody is perfect…except for you know who.

This is 1978 vintage McEnroe…and Ashe. McEnroe is probably 19 or so and Ashe is on that slippery downward slide off of the charts at 35 years old. It also perfect good guy/bad guy stuff. What a great matchup in the world of tennis. Ashe takes the first set in a tie-breaker after being gifted a game that McEnroe was serving for the set at 5-4, 40-love. He double faults three times in a row! Not a peep out of the "evil" teen. Of course "evil" being in the eye of the beholder.

He's a perfectionist. He has an idea…and it is a noble one. He is going to be the number one tennis player in the world. But he's a rebel in the eyes of some even though he is a traditionalist in that he plays with a wooden racquet until it is no longer possible to do so when he is still holding onto his idea. Arther is playing with some kind of metal composite. Is he cheating? Is he playing with it because he is trying to take advantage of something in the hopes it will give him an advantage over his opponent? It's only a question. A rhetorical question.

See Don Budge in the crowd. The real one…not don_budge, the scoundrel of the TennisPlayer.net forum. Look at that serve and volley technique and tactics. Check out the serving tactics. The Kid is a genius. Ashe is no slouch either. I am Serious.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 02-14-2016, 06:19 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            Look at that serve and volley technique and tactics. Check out the serving tactics. The Kid is a genius. I am Serious.
                            That is undisputed...

Comment

• John McEnroe wins over Arthur Ashe…6-7, 6-3, 7-5

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              He's a perfectionist. He has an idea…and it is a noble one. He is going to be the number one tennis player in the world. But he's a rebel in the eyes of some even though he is a traditionalist in that he plays with a wooden racquet until it is no longer possible to do so when he is still holding onto his idea. Arther is playing with some kind of metal composite. Is he cheating? Is he playing with it because he is trying to take advantage of something in the hopes it will give him an advantage over his opponent? It's only a question. A rhetorical question.

See Don Budge in the crowd. The real one…not don_budge, the scoundrel of the TennisPlayer.net forum. Look at that serve and volley technique and tactics. Check out the serving tactics. The Kid is a genius. Ashe is no slouch either. I am Serious.
                              It's a great match. The 35 year old Ashe mixes up the pace and does a good bit of serve and volley himself. He uses the lob to great effect but he just couldn't quite get the horse in the barn. John McEnroe wins 6-7, 6-3, 7-5. John maintains his cool in a very tough situation. Not a peep about line calls…a couple of stares, a couple of looks but nothing pathological. His idea hasn't been corrupted yet. He's on track and this was a huge match for him on the path to the number one player in the world.

John was behind 4-1 in the third set. He had double match point against him as he served at 4-5 to stay in the match. There was something brilliant about him and I am certain that Arthur Ashe knew it on this day at Madison Square Garden. There was no bellyaching…just wonderful serve and volley tennis. I would say that both players never once stayed back on their serve…first or second. This was the classic game that John was brought up to play…like every other single tennis player at this point in time. Sure there were the clay court players from Europe and South America but it had always been this way…traditionally speaking.

Case exhibit #2. The first being the match at the U. S. Open qualifying in 1976 witnessed by yours truly…don_quixote.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 02-14-2016, 07:30 AM.
                              don_budge

Comment

• The Saint's Documentary…In Living Color

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                                I found this BBC program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki53vWYLrMs

Make up your own mind....
                                Yeah…make up your own mind as the BBC hands you one of the most negative hit piece documentaries ever developed on any single human being…since Adolf Hitler. The BBC, like its American counterpart CNN, barely can be qualified as news. The bias and the skew is so pronounced that any person with the least ability to discern takes whatever they broadcast with a grain of salt. Certainly they try to unravel the spin.

I wonder what a documentary of your worst and most embarrassing moments in life would look like. I know I wouldn't like for mine to be aired in public. Mine would be considerably longer than McEnroe's if you included my love life travesties as well. Oh well…I never did claim to be a Saint. Did I?

Dolly Llama's, Church Lady's, Saints…Pathetic Losers. Holier than thou…perfect lives. Pointing their fingers…Look out, that's the BAD guy!
                                Last edited by don_budge; 02-14-2016, 08:26 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7772 users online. 2 members and 7770 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X