2016 Australian Open Tennis Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
    This is so true. Roger has played the biggest part in taking Novaks game to its current unprecedented level. What Novak did to Roger out there was, one could sense the constant rush Roger was feeling. It was much different than what Nadal did to Roger in Nadals win vs him. I think to that Boris has played a big part in shaping Novaks attitude out there on the court vs Roger. I used to get the sense that the overwhelming crowd love for Roger really bothered Novak, and he would get surly out there in periods of the match when things were not going his way. No more, seems to be totally comfortable with what is coming when he plays Roger.
    Novak is very comfortable in his own skin these days. No wonder, with such a wonderful wife and family...not to mention his tennis support team. Becker knows all about stadium situations and how to deal with stuff....this may have been Becker's biggest contribution: big match tennis.

Another interesting thing watching the Djokovic/Federer replay, which they are showing all the time now, is when they trade heavy hitting forehand to forehand blows, Djokovic is quicker to prepare and gets into a stronger stance more often than Federer, who became increasingly more open-stanced under the barrage. Djokovic preparation is so quick and clean. You would think Djokovic style of take back would take fractionally longer, but this didn't seem to be the case.
    Last edited by stotty; 01-29-2016, 06:24 AM.
    Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Novak is very comfortable in his own skin these days. No wonder, with such a wonderful wife and family...not to mention his tennis support team. Becker knows all about stadium situations and how to deal with stuff....this may have been Becker's biggest contribution: big match tennis.

Another interesting thing watching the Djokovic/Federer replay, which they are showing all the time now, is when they trade heavy hitting forehand to forehand blows, Djokovic is quicker to prepare and gets into a stronger stance more often than Federer, who became increasingly more open-stanced under the barrage. Djokovic preparation is so quick and clean. You would think Djokovic style of take back would take fractionally longer, but this didn't seem to be the case.
      I think you are correct about the forehand to forehand exchanges. No surprise, I much prefer Roger's forehand technique wise, but Novak's positioning, footwork, core movement, is about as good as it gets.

Comment

• Anyone heard from lobndropshot? He's gone quiet.

I'm concerned he may have gone for a swim somewhere in Melbourne and been eaten by a shark....
        Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

I'm glad someone mentioned Becker. In my opinion, one of the most overlooked factors in Djokovic's rise to dominance is his coach, Boris Becker. I know many people don't look too highly on Becker due to his personal issues as well as what many people consider his arrogance and ego. But Becker was able to give Djokovic a champions mentality and make him believe he's the best.

Djokovic walks around much like Becker did, larger than life, shoulders back and chest puffed out. Becker is a tennis legend and one of my idols growing up, not to mention, a highly intelligent and articulate human being. I highly recommend his autobiography "Boris Becker: The Player". Wisely written, candid, fascinating, thought-provoking. I have two copies, one in english and one in german (Don't ask why I ordered a German version. Ich bin nicht fließend Deutsch...notch )

Becker has given Djokovic a mental edge. Now when Djokovic starts serving and volleying at Wimbledon like Boom Boom did, I'll be delighted. But I won't hold my breath for that. Djokovic seems to be doing just fine with his game right now.

Props to BB for his incredible work.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

• The Legs…the Racquet go hand in hand

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            This is only due to the fact that there is a six year age difference in the legs. Federer has lost that explosion and he relies on intuition. As the rallies get longer…as they get deeper past the third set Federer finds himself struggling to stay up with his younger opponent.

Novak Djokovic is uncanny in his own right of course. He is the best baseline player in the game today. But as Fred Stolle noted…I would dearly love to see Novak outfitted with a wooden racquet. Novak himself tried one and wondered where his forehand went.

All of this post Federer prime time revelation begs the question about why he didn't switch equipment about five years earlier. More Bjorn Borg syndrome?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Sympathy?

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
              Cmon, Stotty. Just a little sympathy for the Canadian. Don't you remember what it is like to try to play with a pulled groin?!

don
              There is very little room for sympathy in the game of tennis. At least that used to be the case. Now there are potty breaks, injury timeouts…stalling between points. Incessant towelling off. Prolonged rest periods on the changeover. All kinds of "sympathy" built into the fiasco.

The fact of the matter just might be that one of Milos' biggest weaknesses is his inability to stay uninjured. This may be due to his body type. Moving that big lug of a frame around trying to play like a labrador retriever has taken it's toll. He will be much better off pursuing the serve and volley and getting to the net at the first opportunity.

Think about the hips…you as a chiropractor should be able to expound upon this aspect of his "physicality". I don't like that word.

Murray beat him up…as well as the cumulative effect of the pounding that he took from Wawrinka and company. He couldn't sustain it over the course of a fortnight three out of five.

Sympathy? Not much.
              Last edited by don_budge; 01-30-2016, 02:13 AM.
              don_budge

Comment

• Barely a word about the "Women"...

Watching Serena against Angelique Kerber. It's a hideous display on a number of levels. They've split sets. Two apiece in the third.
                don_budge

Comment

• Amen...

Originally posted by bman View Post
                  My cursory observations:

Roger's strategy to start the match was: Grind.

What separates Novak from Roger is the depth of his shots.

Roger needs to stop running around so many backhands. His forehand is not big anymore and his backhand is way steadier than it used to be.

The only thing that seemed to work a little is the slice backhand wide and short to get him off the court, and also just the slice in general.

Novak loves it when Roger gives him pace. Fed should slice at least 50% of backhands.

Roger needs to stop donating return points by running into the alley to slap forehand errors on the ad side (second serves).

A little more serve and volley would have been nice.
                  Very good. At least 50%.
                  don_budge

Comment

• There is a God...

Serena loses.
                    don_budge

Comment

• Kurber a player who was able to practice in almost total solitude a couple of weeks ago (only my wife and I were watching. Is about to have a lot change. Well done Angelique!

Comment

• Kerber...

Amazing win for Kerber. A number pundits have put Serena's loss to her unforced errors. I didn't see the match live as I had to work but, watching the replay, I think Kerber played really well. She was aggressive but also defended extremely well. She stuck to her tactics throughout - a must when playing someone with superior firepower.

I think Serena did make some terrible errors. But the occasion got to her. I know it is going to sound ridiculous but I really don't think she is a great match player. She wins most of the time because she is streets ahead of everyone else. But if someone can muster the game to keep things tight, and have belief, this is what can happen on the really big occasions. Serena gets really, really tight.

A nerveless performance from Kerber...thoroughly deserved to win.
                        Last edited by stotty; 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM.
                        Stotty

Comment

• Great win for Kerber.

She has a nice defensive game and plays high percentage tennis. I guess you could say she has great "Kerb appeal"

Extremely happy that she won. A new face, even if momentarily for women's tennis. Never a bad thing. First German since Steffi Graf. I am pumped but trying to "Kerb my enthusiasm"

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          Last edited by klacr; 01-30-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• If only Federer...

If only Roger Federer had come out of the box serving bullets instead of electing to receive and never let up…there may have been a chance for something other than this.

It's Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray in the finals of the 2016 Australian Open. I don't know…I am a loss of words. Two human backboards. Yawn.

Novak pretty much owns Andy psychologically speaking. He's beaten him 10 of the last 11 times they have met…what do you expect. He's in his head. A number of the last beatings have been going away as in bagel sets…near bagels. Andy loses everything in the end of his matches with Novak…most importantly he loses belief. But it is debatable if he has this belief in the beginning…before they take the court. He must ask himself an existential question…do I believe that I can beat Novak at his best? If he cannot answer emphatically yes then you will see the result of this very shortly.
                            Last edited by don_budge; 01-31-2016, 01:03 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

• Ease Up Novak!!!

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              If only Roger Federer had come out of the box serving bullets instead of electing to receive and never let up…there may have been a chance for something other than this.

It's Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray in the finals of the 2016 Australian Open. I don't know…I am a loss of words. Two human backboards. Yawn.

Novak pretty much owns Andy psychologically speaking. He's beaten him 10 of the last 11 times they have met…what do you expect. He's in his head. A number of the last beatings have been going away as in bagel sets…near bagels. Andy loses everything in the end of his matches with Novak…most importantly he loses belief. But it is debatable if he has this belief in the beginning…before they take the court. He must ask himself an existential question…do I believe that I can beat Novak at his best? If he cannot answer emphatically yes then you will see the result of this very shortly.
                              Uh oh…it's 5-0 Djokovic. Please don't quit Andy. Not in front of the world. Maybe Novak wilt ease up on the peddle to make it look like something.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM.
                              don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                Uh oh…it's 5-0 Djokovic. Please don't quit Andy. Not in front of the world. Maybe Novak with ease up on the peddle to make it look like something.
                                Never ease up! If Novak wants to hit and giggle, he can play after the match. Time to put his foot down and press the gas even harder. Stop the bleeding and cause more bleeding. It's the only thing that will make tennis players understand how they can't play against Novak. If Andy makes a match of this, the tennis community will still believe that staying on the baseline and rallying has a chance against Novak, which they don't. It's good for tennis if Novak destroys Andy, then and only then might they realize that a new style, a new game is what it will take, because staying on baseline and getting it back just ain't cutting it. Tennis needs to wake up. Not gonna beat a guy playing the same way as he does if he is better at you in all those categories.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7823 users online. 4 members and 7819 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X