No announcement yet.

2016 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros…Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federer's consecutive grand slam participation streak ends at 65. The new leader is Feliciano Lopez with 56 consecutive appearances. Love the serve and volley.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Stepanek is once more giving Murray a run for his money! Nightime comes to save him. He wins the first two sets and now he can recuperate overnight after losing the third and trailing in the fourth. Great drop shots and lobs!

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        Where does it go from here? Culmination point…post Roger Federer

We are due for a post Federer culmination point. I'm not certain how old you are nickw but you certainly need to have been cognizant before the year 1984 rolled around to fully understand the position that the sport of tennis is in at the present.
        I'm the same age as Stepanek don_budge, so you're right that it's difficult for me to appreciate the 1984 culmination point you talk about. For sure though, it's easy to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the game being too fast was perceived as a problem! I remember the Ivanisevic/Rafter final so well, the people's Monday, a wild crowd, and also what I love the most about this game... pure drama and excitement because of the wonderful scoring system! I couldn't care less that the average rally was around 1.5 shots, the drama was incredible, could Goran finally do it, the 125/1 wildcard outsider. Match points came and went at 8-7 final set, deuce, ad in, deuce, ad out, finally he did it, one of the most memorable Grand Slam victories in history for me.

And tonight, there's Stepanek doing his stuff, driving Murray crazy with his almost extinct style of play. Reminded me a bit of the Santoro/Safin match-up, the Frenchman being another player I was very sorry to see retire.

Where does tennis go from here, is this another culmination point as you describe it? I don't know the answer, and would struggle to put a good guess in, but it will be interesting to see.

Comment

The Stepanek Saga...

Originally posted by nickw View Post
          I'm the same age as Stepanek don_budge, so you're right that it's difficult for me to appreciate the 1984 culmination point you talk about. For sure though, it's easy to forget that it wasn't that long ago that the game being too fast was perceived as a problem! I remember the Ivanisevic/Rafter final so well, the people's Monday, a wild crowd, and also what I love the most about this game... pure drama and excitement because of the wonderful scoring system! I couldn't care less that the average rally was around 1.5 shots, the drama was incredible, could Goran finally do it, the 125/1 wildcard outsider. Match points came and went at 8-7 final set, deuce, ad in, deuce, ad out, finally he did it, one of the most memorable Grand Slam victories in history for me.

And tonight, there's Stepanek doing his stuff, driving Murray crazy with his almost extinct style of play. Reminded me a bit of the Santoro/Safin match-up, the Frenchman being another player I was very sorry to see retire.

Where does tennis go from here, is this another culmination point as you describe it? I don't know the answer, and would struggle to put a good guess in, but it will be interesting to see.
          Yeah…that Radek Stepanek is something else…isn't he?
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Cliffhanger! Stepanek lost 5-7 in the 5th. Murray was yelling and screaming. Stepanek's game was superior and more fun to watch. Shame...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Cliffhanger! Stepanek lost 5-7 in the 5th. Murray was yelling and screaming. Stepanek's game was superior and more fun to watch. Shame...
              I just cannot watch Murray anymore. His angst simply becomes unbearable to watch for me...excruciating actually.
              Stotty

Comment

TV seems to focus in on his frustrated grimaces every time he loses a point.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  TV seems to focus in on his frustrated grimaces every time he loses a point.
                  The cameraman doesn't have to focus too much. It's not as if he has to wait for it. Murray spends half the match grimacing.
                  Stotty

Comment

Sad for Stepanek. Crowd loved him. As they should. French enjoy style.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Murray struggles again, this time against a qualifier, and barely wins in the 5th set.

Comment

Murray looked downright shaky in the 2nd and 3rd set under the pressure from his opponent. Credit to Bourgue for hanging in there. Ranked 164 in the world, the guy was playing like top 10....but Murray reeled him back down to Earth.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

McEnroe enlightens viewers that back in his day there were no toilet breaks, and that he never took one in his career. When did this change of rule steal in?
                          Stotty

Comment

I have to say I am missing Federer right now. A grand slam simply isn't the same without him.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              I have to say I am missing Federer right now. A grand slam simply isn't the same without him.
                              Amen

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Ditto! Maybe Thiem will beat Nadal.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8082 users online. 9 members and 8073 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X