2016 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros…Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thiem

The bottom half of the draw has panned out weaker than it should have. There is nothing to stand in the way of a Murray/Wawrinka semi. The top half is a little more interesting. Ferrer v Berdych could be a close one. Agut is no push over. I hope Gulbis and Thiem meet up in the quarters as that could interesting if Gulbis were to fulfil just a fraction of his promise, which has rarely done to date.

But Thiem could be the one to watch. You just get the impression he is bursting to burst through. I hope so. I like him. I like him a lot. I can see him getting much better too.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      The bottom half of the draw has panned out weaker than it should have. There is nothing to stand in the way of a Murray/Wawrinka semi. The top half is a little more interesting. Ferrer v Berdych could be a close one. Agut is no push over. I hope Gulbis and Thiem meet up in the quarters as that could interesting if Gulbis were to fulfil just a fraction of his promise, which has rarely done to date.

But Thiem could be the one to watch. You just get the impression he is bursting to burst through. I hope so. I like him. I like him a lot. I can see him getting much better too.
      Agree strongly about Them. He seems on the verge of busting through at a Slam and clay appears to be his strongest surface. He is very likeable also. Regarding Gasquet forehand grip, it looks eastern to me. The heal of his hand looks like it is on bevel 3. He does have an unusual, not particularly efficient wind up on it and as you said, wrist position preparation.

Comment

A Rainy Day in Gay Paris...

Rain, rain…go away. Come again another day.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Complete deluge in Paris. First time in 16 years a full day has been cancelled due to rain at French Open. Commentators and fans can now begin the obligatory demand for a roof, which Roland Garros will be building...just not this year

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Well at least the rain could produce a few twists. It's a hackers paradise out there now. Could this be another year where events conspire against Djokovic to win the French Open?
            Last edited by stotty; 05-31-2016, 02:58 AM.
            Stotty

Comment

Build an ark

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Switch to water polo...

Comment

The Rain in Paris…falls squarely on Roland Garros

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  Build an ark

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  It's been an incredibly boring tournament so far. Even the rain is more exciting than the play. Don't believe me…ask my wife. Build an ark…or watch some clay court tennis when it was still tennis.

Here's a little something for you ultimate tennis aficionados. 1984…the Orwellian year. The 1984 French Open Final between Ivan Lendl and none other than "The Great John McEnroe". The greatest French Open Final ever!!! Look out! He's going to the net! He must be out of his mind!

McEnroe has switched to a mid-sized graphite Dunlop tennis racquet and the advantage is just enough to equalize things between himself and the great Czech Ivan Lendl. It's not that McEnroe was a terrible clay court tennis player…he was sensational even on clay. He didn't devote himself to the dirt…that's all. Back in the day you either were or you weren't a clay court player. Most American weren't.

But take a look and keep an open mind. It's tough these days…it's almost as if your mind has been made up for you. Strange days…even stranger than 1984. 1984 was a culmination point (Orwell) as was 2001 (Kubrick). Have fun! Enjoy the ride!
                  Last edited by don_budge; 05-31-2016, 11:10 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

This 2016 French Open reminds me of 1996 Wimbledon. Loads of rain but when it all cleared, my boy Richard Krajicek won it in a dominating performance. Perhaps this a sign for Berdych.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

SABR? McEnroe style...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      This 2016 French Open reminds me of 1996 Wimbledon. Loads of rain but when it all cleared, my boy Richard Krajicek won it in a dominating performance. Perhaps this a sign for Berdych.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Yes…there seem to be a number of similarities between the 1996 Wimbledon Championships and the 2016 French Open. Perhaps Tomas Berdych will resurrect himself as the Champion of Dirt.

But here is a look at the draw of the 1984 French Open Championships. 32 American men in the draw…including klacr's and mine little buddy Aaron Krickstein. A rare five set loss for Aaron against the great Polish player Wojcek Fibak 10-8 in the fifth. McEnroe beats four of the Americans including Jimmy Connors in the semis on his way to the final against that tennis stud of yesteryear…Ivan Lendl.

But watch this match in between the rain drops in Paris. You can see how tennis has "evolved" in the past 32 years. McEnroe was simply brilliant for two sets. Then he became annoyed with the camera's surrounding the court. Talk about losing concentration and losing sight of the prize.

Talk about returning serve and going to the net behind the return…what do they call that in 2016…SABR or something like that. Johnny Boy was doing it back in '84. Amazing.

Last edited by don_budge; 06-01-2016, 02:22 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        Yes…there seem to be a number of similarities between the 1996 Wimbledon Championships and the 2016 French Open. Perhaps Tomas Berdych will resurrect himself as the Champion of Dirt.

But here is a look at the draw of the 1984 French Open Championships. 32 American men in the draw…including klacr's and mine little buddy Aaron Krickstein. A rare five set loss for Aaron against the great Polish player Wojcek Fibak 10-8 in the fifth. McEnroe beats four of the Americans including Jimmy Connors in the semis on his way to the final against that tennis stud of yesteryear…Ivan Lendl.

But watch this match in between the rain drops in Paris. You can see how tennis has "evolved" in the past 32 years. McEnroe was simply brilliant for two sets. Then he became annoyed with the camera's surrounding the court. Talk about losing concentration and losing sight of the prize.

Talk about returning serve and going to the net behind the return…what do they call that in 2016…SABR or something like that. Johnny Boy was doing it back in '84. Amazing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ten...brilliant.html

A great game and Mac's one and only chance to win the French went by the way. Shame, he was tantalisingly close.

The air is damp and the conditions are slow at the 2016 Roland Garros today. Even Djokovic simply had to tough it out with Agut in the end. Murray should be fine in these conditions, not that I want him to be, Gasket can have it for all I care.

Not much fun this year. The event is down a number of players and all the key matches have been stop-start affairs.
                        Stotty

Comment

Thiem wins in 4. Now for Goffin - a tough nut to crack...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Thiem wins in 4. Now for Goffin - a tough nut to crack...
                            Thiem should win easy....
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              Thiem should win easy....
                              I've got to agree with Phil. Goffin could be a tough nut to crack. Thiem may have the edge but Goffin is a pretty complete player and he fights with the attitude of someone trying to make up for being a little shorter than everyone else; quite the competitor. Won't be too many giggles on that court.

don

Comment

Berdych blasts Ferrer

Slow and heavy favored Berdych vs. Ferrer. Berdych hits the ball hard enough he can power through the heavy conditions, penetrate the court and still dictate. All other players today had to slug the ball and grind it out. He played his best match of the season against a French Open finalist and a clay court expert. And this is the SECOND time this year Berdych has beaten Ferrer on clay...and has not lost a set.
                                Berdych has the potential.....the power and the passion.
                                Bring on Djokovic!!! Game On!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKPNnk-JhE

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7776 users online. 3 members and 7773 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X