No announcement yet.

2016 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros…Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, this is how I like to dance (Hope gets so mad, after all of those lessons).

Comment

Good forThiem. Was not easy against Goffin. Thiem is often a slow starter, gets better as he goes along. Since he really whacks the ball, he often has a higher amount of unforced errors than his opponent, but compensates with more winners. Don't think he is ready yet fot Djokovic, but he is catching up...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        Good forThiem. Was not easy against Goffin. Thiem is often a slow starter, gets better as he goes along. Since he really whacks the ball, he often has a higher amount of unforced errors than his opponent, but compensates with more winners. Don't think he is ready yet fot Djokovic, but he is catching up...
        Like I said, it was easy....in the end.

At least Thiem has a shout against Djokovic whereas Goffin would have been certain fodder. I think one thing that gives Thiem a decent shout, aside from his firepower, is his fiery second serve. I saw it a Wimbledon last year. It really jumps and veers.
        Last edited by stotty; 06-02-2016, 12:04 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Glad to see Sam Stosur doing well. Like her game.

Comment

Good grief, Murray vs Djokovic again. First time I won't watch a Roland Garros final.
            On a positive note, Thiem will be ranked 7 Monday.

Comment

Good grief, Murray vs Djokovic again. First time I won't watch a Roland Garros final.
              On a positive note, Thiem will be ranked 7 Monday.
              Yes not the best match up. I may watch the first set and see how it goes.

Interesting, as you mentioned already, the prevalence of the drop shot this year. Murray and Djokovic have been playing it to death. Drop shots could play a big part in the final for Murray. If he plays them judiciously, he could lure Djokovic out of the lateral rhythm he likes so much. It will also lure him into the forecourt where he often looks like a fish out of water and vulnerable.

All the players are playing drop shots with considerable success. As don_budge has noted many times, bringing players to the net is actually a good tactic if done astutely as plenty of players seem uncomfortable in the forecourt.

Many players seem to be using the same pattern of play when seeking to execute drop shots, kind of like a 1-2 pattern...a slightly angled cross court backhand followed by a backhand drop shot down the line. The pattern is becoming increasingly common. I watched it many times this week I almost get to of my chair and start running before the drop shot is struck.

I think Novak goes in as strong favourite but Murray has a decent chance if he can keep control of his emotions and play astutely...cat and mouse style. He's good at that.
              Stotty

Comment

Djokovic and Murray....Again. Credit to Murray for making it this far. His first two matches were not ideal as they went 5 sets. Djokovic has to handle his nerves. One of these men will win the french open for the first time...and Djokovic knows a fourth loss in the finals would be crushing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Nerves

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  Djokovic and Murray....Again. Credit to Murray for making it this far. His first two matches were not ideal as they went 5 sets. Djokovic has to handle his nerves. One of these men will win the french open for the first time...and Djokovic knows a fourth loss in the finals would be crushing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Yes nerves. Nerves are the one thing that could greatly effect the outcome...for both men. Murray will be nervous as hell. So will Novak. After all, Novak is standing on the very edge of greatness. The stakes are incredible high for Novak.

Novak has always been that bit better under pressure than Murray. Murray is full of angst in big matches and this has often contributed to his undoing in many peoples eyes. But the stakes are higher for Novak...way higher in my view. It could make the match a tad more interesting than their usual encounters. I may even watch...
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    Yes nerves. Nerves are the one thing that could greatly effect the outcome...for both men. Murray will be nervous as hell. So will Novak. After all, Novak is standing on the very edge of greatness. The stakes are incredible high for Novak.

Novak has always been that bit better under pressure than Murray. Murray is full of angst in big matches and this has often contributed to his undoing in many peoples eyes. But the stakes are higher for Novak...way higher in my view. It could make the match a tad more interesting than their usual encounters. I may even watch...
                    Agree, way higher for Novak. Novak a big favorite at 1/3.
                    Last edited by stroke; 06-04-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Good play by Muguruza in beating Serena...

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        Agree, way higher for Novak. Novak a big favorite at 1/3.
                        I think Murray has a lot at his disposal tactically to go out and win the match. He has the bigger repertoire. The problem is Novak can negate so many tactics if he finds a very good length, which he often does in five set matches. It's critical that Murray starts well. It's even more critical that he serves well and that his second serve has enough zip on it to stop Novak starting rallies with the upper hand.

What doesn't come across with Murray so well on TV is how he can change pace and mix things up. He's skilful and smart in how he does it. The thing is he won't win the match by yelling and shouting at his box. He can only win it by being calm and intelligent.

I still think Djokovic will win in four, but this could be their most interesting encounter to date. I am expecting Djokovic to step up to the plate. He has a great team around him who will be making sure he does just that. I hope Djokovic wins. He deserves a career slam. He's been outstanding the last couple of years.
                        Stotty

Comment

I hope Novak does it as well. I also think he deserves all 4, such a tough achievement. He may have 1 more shot after this year, that is probably about it.

Comment

Congratulations to Novak! He deserved to finally win Roland Garros.

Comment

Congratulations to Novak! He deserved to finally win Roland Garros.
                              He certainly did, Phil. He really found his groove after that first set and, other than a few nerves at the end, it was one way traffic.
                              Stotty

Comment

Interesting what Federer and Rusedski said about Djokovic, that his movement is often the lynchpin to him playing well. Federer said that once Djokovic starts moving well and gets into a groove he becomes very hard to beat. He starts to track down everything and can play great shots at even at full stretch.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7813 users online. 4 members and 7809 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X