2017 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
    Agassi made a really impressive push in his 30's, but Fed has clearly set the bar pretty much by any standard at any age at this point. It is hard to believe, but he is the favorite at US Open. Probably a great time to bet on someone else.
    stroke, for a man who doesn't bet you sure know how to bet.
    Stotty

Comment

• Stotty, like most things, it is way easier to talk about than to do it

Comment

Agassi made a really impressive push in his 30's, but Fed has clearly set the bar pretty much by any standard at any age at this point. It is hard to believe, but he is the favorite at US Open. Probably a great time to bet on someone else.
        While Roger still moves so extremely well, he has a more aggressive style of play than Rafa, Murray and Novak, and, to a degree, is far less dependent on his legs than the other three. I know Murray and Novak have suggested they wish to play and be successful over the next few years but their game style and dependency on supreme footwork may not permit it. I think Rafa plays it week by week. He's missed 10 slams through injury, which has probably cost him ever being able to catch Roger in the grand slam tally. One more major injury will likely finish Rafa and he knows it only too well. He's been unlucky like that.
        Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

While Roger still moves so extremely well, he has a more aggressive style of play than Rafa, Murray and Novak, and, to a degree, is far less dependent on his legs than the other three. I know Murray and Novak have suggested they wish to play and be successful over the next few years but their game style and dependency on supreme footwork may not permit it. I think Rafa plays it week by week. He's missed 10 slams through injury, which has probably cost him ever being able to catch Roger in the grand slam tally. One more major injury will likely finish Rafa and he knows it only too well. He's been unlucky like that.
          to me, it comes down to no substitute to perfect technique, and he stands alone

Comment

to me, it comes down to no substitute to perfect technique, and he stands alone
            I'll try to be gentle, but I have to ask, is that a duck-billed platitude?

Comment

db,I just skimmed through that old 2014 US Open thread you linked. We covered some interesting stuff. It is a very interesting read looking back.
              Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

Yes, please go to sleep.
              stroke...i just read it from beginning to end. The Marin Cilic story was and epic. I loved 10splayer's comment to me..."please go to sleep". After I worked so hard. I can't believe that I wrote all of that stuff back then. It is hard to imagine where I found the time. But I think it shows how much that I love the game and what it has meant to me over the years. I appreciate your comment...very much.

The 2014 U. S. Open Championships thread:

don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Speaking of Old Posts...May 1, 2011

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Roger Federer...The Last Remaining Link

"Tilden is the book. Gonzales is the model, with the Budge backhand. Hopman is the coach and Federer is living proof."

It was a really insightful and thoughtful article...it was a nice tribute to the person that is Roger Federer. Sometimes it appears that the word "reporter" can be found under the letter "i" in the dictionary, I agree. Imagine being in the locker room working up the nerve...finally doing so, then realizing...this guy is a regular dude behind all of the fame and fortune...all of the hoopla. Then all of a sudden you are out on the practice court trading shots with the man...what a surreal dream.

Roger is the last remaining link in the chain that was classic tennis. He is, in the end, a man just like the rest of us. His sun may be setting on his playing career...he reached his zenith now his destiny is on the horizon sinking into hopefully, a beautiful sunset. Perhaps even more unfortunately, it looks like classic tennis will disappear with him. But at the same time Roger Federer will be joining all of the other great legends, of this great sport, in the past.

Unless he can manage a last hurrah. If he can manage to think it through (with the help of his coaching staff) he will realize that he cannot expect to win another major slugging it out from the baseline with these guys...he must change his tactics, he must end it at the net. He can perhaps accomplish this if he can use his service to this end and be more effective at approaching the net in the course of the baseline rallies. Shorten the points! What an exciting idea! What do you think..."theshredder"?

There is only one current player that I use as a model for my students...guess who it is? Only Roger. I have all of the respect in the world for him...which falls just short of worshiping the ground he walks on. I believe some of his greatness is due to the mediocrity that surrounded him for much of his career. Professional tennis needs another handful of players just like him...or rather in his mold, to make the game a bit more interesting. Without his element the game will be a dreadful bore. There will never be another like him...he is a classic. The last of a dying breed.
                The paradigm has stood the test of time. I arrived at it very shortly after I started writing on this forum. It's been over six years now. Hard to believe...like the 2014 U. S. Open thread that I started. Well it is what it is. I only stated my case. I never said that I agree or disagree. I honestly don't know how I did it except to say that I was only being honest. As honest as I know how to be. Thanks to the Lord...and Roger Federer. Thanks to all of you.

At the same time I have taught hundreds of people to play this wonderful game. I never missed a day at work. Not a single one. I love my job. This is part of it.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Federer on the youth of today...

.....Federer is less content with the mindset of the younger contenders, who still have not been able to remove the 30-plus elite from the top of the pile. “I know you can easily get sucked into that [attritional] mode when you don’t want to attack but, if you can’t volley, you are not going to go to the net. Almost every player I played here wouldn’t serve and volley. It’s frightening to me, to see that at this level.

“I look at the stats and, whatever round it is, I see that the guy I’m going to face is playing 2% of serve and volley throughout the championship. I’m going, OK, I know he’s not going to serve and volley – which is great for me. And the grass was playing fast this week. I wish that we would see more coaches, more players taking chances up at the net, because good things do happen there.

“I do believe the depth in the men’s game is as great as it’s ever been but, because of the way they play, maybe not super-fast like they used to back in the 80s, the margins are bigger because of the surface speed, the ball speed and the racket technology. You have to hit a lot of good shots to come through a Murray or a Djokovic. Over five sets, it catches up with you and it’s favourable for the top guys.”
                  Just about sums up the thoughts of many of us on the forum have had for years....

But when the man himself says it, you know it must be right.
                  Last edited by stotty; 07-17-2017, 01:02 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Federer on the youth of today...

Just about sums up the thoughts of many of us on the forum have had for years....

before Fed, Andre was my favorite as far as player insights go and Andre was certainly more quantity, more guileless, but Fed is the best. Still my favorite, "he just needs to find his next level, whatever that is"

Comment

before Fed, Andre was my favorite as far as player insights go and Andre was certainly more quantity, more guileless, but Fed is the best. Still my favorite, "he just needs to find his next level, whatever that is"
                      Only person better then Fed on grass, is Bob Marley

Comment

Federer on the youth of today...

Amazing how insightful he is and glad we have him in agreement with us! Good company.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7665 users online. 11 members and 7654 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X