Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Roland Garros. The French Open

Here we go...Springtime in Paris.
    Nadal the heavy favorite but Thiem and Zverev have been given some spotlight as the next best things. Djokovic is rising.
    Thoughts, predictions, first round treats?

Men
    https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/results/1?type=SM

Ladies
    The exclusive home of Roland-Garros tennis delivering live scores, schedules, draws, players, news, photos, videos and the most complete coverage of The 2024 Roland-Garros Tournament.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 05-27-2018, 07:04 AM.

Federer apparently said that before he retires he would like to play a last French Open and challenge Nadal... Time is running out... Should have done it this year...

Comment

Federer aging better than Nadal. Next year a possibility.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

I think it might be pushing it to win Roland Garros at 37. Even Roger has some limits!

No surprises yesterday but Stan has just gone two sets all with Garcia-Lopez. Stan looked like he might win in four as he seemed to get his big game rolling. Then he had a blip. Not good to go to five sets in your opener, especially at RG.

Nadal gets a w/o. As the event isn't easy enough for him!
        Stotty

Comment

Stan goes out in five.

Rafa was struggling today despite taking a two set to love lead. Bolleli was hitting the ball so sweetly and hitting Rafa off the court at times. He was just a little loose at times and went for more than was necessary....but boy what a sumptuous one-hander he's got. He loves them at chest height too!
          Stotty

Comment

I went back to watch the Rome replay of Rafa versus Zverez as stroke said Zverez was winning comfortably after losing the first set.

stroke was right. Zverez has taken a leaf out of Novak's book and played him pretty much the same way. Zverez has a little more firepower than Novak and can get points even cheaper here and there. But overall once he got his game rolling he was controlling the game beautifully...text book. Shame that third set got rained off at 3-1. It was in the bag had it stayed dry.
            Stotty

Comment

Thiem plays Tsitsipas today on court 18. Looks like the match of the day to me.

Comment

Shapovalov looked good against Millman. I am intrigued as to what sort of a tournament he's going to have. Zverez stormed through the last two sets of a five setter. These two players are improving all the time and are going to get better still. It won't be long now before the Next Gen burst through and dislodge the oldies.

I see Thiem is edging the Greek by 2 sets 1 with the rest of the match held over to tomorrow.

I missed Novak's match but the scoreline looked solid enough.

Rafa is not as good as last year so far....or anywhere near.
                Stotty

Comment

I agree. I think a 32 year old Nadal could be toppled this year. As good as he is, there are times in matches where it is clear he simply cannot move as well as he did in his prime. Beating Nadal on clay is the toughest ask ever in tennis. Very interesting tournament this year.

Comment

I just don't see anyone to trouble Rafa in the top half of the draw. The bottom half is the more interesting half.

I saw a bit of Shapovalov versus Marterer. Marterer looks a decent prospect at just 22 years old. I haven't seen him before.

It looks like there will be no easy matches for Novak from now on, but if he can get through, I fancy he will get better and better. Novak isn't afraid of Rafa, and I don't think Zverez is anymore either.
                    Stotty

Comment

Right now, oddsmakers have Nadal at 2/5 to win the tournament(or about a 72% chance). Next up are Zverev at 9/1, Novak 13/1, Thiem 16/1, Goffin 40/1. Obviously, anything other than Nadal would be a surprise.

Comment

Djokovic puts in a rally solid performance to dispatch the gritty Agut. Djokovic looks like Nadal's biggest threat to me and likely the only man who can stop the Spaniard winning 11 FO titles.

Zverez stuttered through his match but turned it round admirably in the end. I just wonder how much that took out of him.

Good to see Verdasco making his way deeper into the draw.
                        Stotty

Comment

Anyone want to see a great straight arm forehand? Then watch Verdasco play Djokovic in the last sixteen. Verdasco is one of my favourite players and has the most explosive and beautiful modern forehand you could ever see. That man hits it so cleanly an powerfully you wouldn't believe it should you ever get the chance to see him play live.

Both players are playing well and I am definitely tuning in for that one.
                          Stotty

Comment

About Verdasco, I agree. I have seen it in person. I have always felt he had the next best forehand in tennis after Nadal and Fed. Delpo is right there also.

l

Comment

Fognini is in a real slugfest with Edmund right now.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2603 users online. 6 members and 2597 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X