No announcement yet.

2018 Roland Garros. The French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novak bombs out the inspired Italian. It's strange with Novak. Sometimes he looks really convincing and I think he's right back out on it, yet other times he lacks consistency and has inexplicable lapses. I think he will get there because he can play, at times, to the level he once used to. He just needs to be able to sustain it like he used to.

Thiem must now be hot favourite to make the final, but like stroke says, the match up ain't great and it's tough to see him winning.

Nadal has one more chance to come unstuck should Del Potro make it to the semis. I can't see Schartzman making a dent in Nadal for sure. But if Del Potro gets through and can get enough opportunities to 'set and hit' against Nadal....you just never know.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Novak bombs out the inspired Italian. It's strange with Novak. Sometimes he looks really convincing and I think he's right back out on it, yet other times he lacks consistency and has inexplicable lapses. I think he will get there because he can play, at times, to the level he once used to. He just needs to be able to sustain it like he used to.

Thiem must now be hot favourite to make the final, but like stroke says, the match up ain't great and it's tough to see him winning.

Nadal has one more chance to come unstuck should Del Potro make it to the semis. I can't see Schartzman making a dent in Nadal for sure. But if Del Potro gets through and can get enough opportunities to 'set and hit' against Nadal....you just never know.
      Del Po is somewhat like Soderling, so I suppose he would be in with a shout. I don't think even he though is capable of the barrage Soderling put on Nadal in that rare FO loss for Nadal. Soderling beat Nadal at FO in Nadal's absolute prime. To me, the best anyone has ever played Nadal on clay. In that match, Soderling had 61 winners in a tight 4 set win. 61 winners, that is all it took to take out an in his prime Nadal.
      Last edited by stroke; 06-06-2018, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Rain delay Diego Schwartzman wins the first set 6-4, and is a break ahead in the second 3-2!

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Rain delay Diego Schwartzman wins the first set 6-4, and is a break ahead in the second 3-2!
          It's not the first time Nadal has been saved by the rain. Novak was wiping the floor with him once and heading for victory at an alarming rate, the the rain came. That was one FO he wouldn't have won.

Roger has also been incredibly lucky here and there at Wimbledon.

But what was it that golfer once said? The more I practice the luckier I get?....or something like that.
          Stotty

Comment

Cecchinato feverin Italy and Southern Switzerland. First Italian since Barrazuti to make the semifinal in RG.

Comment

Cecchinato feverin Italy and Southern Switzerland. First Italian since Barrazuti to make the semifinal in RG.
              Crumbs....let's hope he doesn't suffer the same fate in the semi as Corrado. Borg beat him 6-0 6-1 6-0...
              Stotty

Comment

Del Potro has a slim chance tomorrow if he can belt winners and avoid getting pulled around by Nadal. He served well against Cilic from the highlights I saw....real solid. He will need to do exactly the same against Rafa.
                Stotty

Comment

Optimistic for Del Potro tomorrow against Nadal. Conditions will play a factor. I suspect Thiem will mow through Cecchinato but clearly the Italian likes to prove us wrong.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Kuerten just compared Cecchinato’s run to his own when he too came out of nowhere to win Roland Garros. Cecchinato has a great one handed backhand and a very solid second serve. Hope he keeps it up!

Comment

Nadal versus Thiem is a great final.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Thiem fairs and what sort of game plan he will come up with. He has a great serve so hopefully he can work that to good advantage. As good as Thiem's backhand is, I cannot see it matching up to Rafa's forehand. It's not a good match up for Thiem in that regard...as stroke suggested.

I missed Cecchinato today apart from a handful of games where he showed sublime touch. He hit some great drop shots.

Stotty

Comment

Nadal versus Thiem is a great final.
                          It would be a great final if only they played on a court that was only 110 feet long; after all, the lines only require 78 feet!

don

Comment

oddsmakers have Nadal at about an 80% chance to win the final. A lot of money to be had at those odds if one thinks Thiem can win the match.

Comment

Halep has no answers so far in the ladies final. Sloane looks well within herself also. Very noisy final. Sloane isn't too bad but Halep is terrible. One has to watch with the volume on the TV turned off.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                                Halep has no answers so far in the ladies final. Sloane looks well within herself also. Very noisy final. Sloane isn't too bad but Halep is terrible. One has to watch with the volume on the TV turned off.
                                oops

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7759 users online. 18 members and 7741 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X