No announcement yet.

2019 Roland Garros...ATP 2000...Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He is the most dominant person or team at any sport ever. Has to be the single greatest achievement ever in tennis.

Comment

• I can't think of a greater achievement in any sport. It could be the greatest single sporting achievement ever.
      Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I can't think of a greater achievement in any sport. It could be the greatest single sporting achievement ever.
        certainly agree, except I would say is instead of could be, lol

Comment

• Shit.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• My prediction: He will win 16 of these. The only guy who can truly challenge him is Djokovic, and we can't even rely on him to get to the finals. Thiem is just not good enough to beat him 3 out of 5 sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by bman View Post
              My prediction: He will win 16 of these. The only guy who can truly challenge him is Djokovic, and we can't even rely on him to get to the finals. Thiem is just not good enough to beat him 3 out of 5 sets.
              He is not good enough, nor is anyone else to defeat Nadal at FO. I think Nadal will win one or 2 more, ending up at lucky 13 or 14. I guess the Majors record is still up in the air, but Fed is going to be a very reasonable possibility for picking up one more at Wimbledon. When these 3 best ever finally retire, tennis will be interesting in a way different way.
              Last edited by stroke; 06-09-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

My prediction: He will win 16 of these. The only guy who can truly challenge him is Djokovic, and we can't even rely on him to get to the finals. Thiem is just not good enough to beat him 3 out of 5 sets.
                16 might be too much even for Rafa!

It's incredible when you think of the era he has achieved this feat in. I mean, it's not as if Roger and Novak are too shabby on a clay court. Yet they've only managed to win one each! In any other generation those two might have won 4 or 5 French Open titles. It's also an era where every player on the tour is a very credible baseliner.

Rafa has the perfect game and mentality for clay. And by the way, I have never seen Rafa volley better than he did today. He pulled off some terrific low volleys.
                Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post

He is not good enough, nor is anyone else to defeat Nadal at FO. I think Nadal will win one or 2 more, ending up at lucky 13 or 14. I guess the Majors record is still up in the air, but Fed is going to be a very reasonable possibility for picking up one more at Wimbledon. When these 3 best ever finally retire, tennis will be interesting in a way different way.
                  If you go back and watch the 2015 French Open highlights, you will see Djokovic had to play at an insane level to beat Rafa. He can do it, but the odds of him actually doing it again are slim. Nadal is simply better on clay than Djokovic.

Comment

• Yes Rafa has his ritual of ticks, yes he takes a long time to serve, but nobody plays clay court tennis the way he does. His forehand is unique. He hits mostly cross on both wings and then wraps up the point with a cross or longline shot. Great court positioning. Great fighting spirit. Never lets up. Every beginning of the year it looks as if he is physically done, then, for Roland Garros he is at his very best.

Comment

I'll voice a minority opinion here. Even though Nadal is a touch slower than in his prime, he's made other improvements such that he's (regrettably) playing his best clay court tennis ever. He is more aggressive than in the old days (serve and first ball forehand combination is untouchable) with better touch, net game, backhand, and ability to change direction. His understanding and use of the geometry of the court is second to none. If he is a bit slower, it is less exposed because he is less likely to play defensively now.

The culprit in all this is Carlos Moya. Nadal appeared to be clearly declining in 15-16, but he's experienced a renaissance since picking up Moya in 17 and is pretty much as dominating as ever.
                      I think that you called it here bman. I have a "Nadal Hangover" today. It surprises even me that I detest two of the winningest modern tennis players in Serena Williams and Senor Nadal. But I have to admit that winning this tournament so many times is an unbelievable achievement. But saying that it doesn't make me like or respect this character one little bit.

My original response to your post was I was impressed. Now even more so. As Stotty mentioned...I have never seen him volley as well as he did yesterday. I don't think that Dominic Thiem is exceptional at passing shots but Nadal handled just about everything he threw at him when he was at the net. Thiem actually managed to lob him pretty well but Nadal doesn't beat himself. Ever.
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Don, Nadal hangover here too. I have a bad feeling we will be having an even more severe hangover in about a month after London.

I was just reflecting on the fact that 2016 was that last year that somebody other than Nadal, Federer, or Djokovic won a slam. Don't see that changing anytime soon either.

Comment

• (Wakes up from a slumber...)
                          Good morning. Is clay court season over yet? Thanks for waking me up. Time to hit the grass courts.

Nadal has the same number of French Open titles as
                          Guillermo Vilas, Bjorn Borg, Sergi Bruguera, Carlos Moya, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer...Combined!
                          That's incredible.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7846 users online. 4 members and 7842 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X