No announcement yet.

2020 ATP Cup...ATP 750...Brisbane/Perth/Sydney, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick wins in 3rd set tiebreaker. Nick deserved it, he was clearly the better player. Stef deserves huge credit for hanging in there and extending the match as he did.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      A real treat coming up ATP Cup Nick vs Stefanos. I do not know if Stefanos returns well enough to hang in vs Nick's serve. We will see. Oddmakers have Stefanos as slight favorite surely based on his always competes way.
      Nick wins 1st set in tiebreaker. That outcome looked to be coming during the entire 1st set if it went to tiebreaker. Stef got hardly any returns back in play during entire 1st set. A bit of Tsitsipas family drama: at the completion of 1st set tiebreaker, Stef smashed his racquet and in doing so struck his Dad on the arm. His dad at that point left the coaching seat next to Stef and then Stef's mother came down and had words with Stef.
      Todd Woodbridge, doing commentary on the match, said Nick's serve is easily one of the best 3 in tennis. He likened in most to Fed in his ability to hit all areas of the box with great spin. Nick can certainly do that, along with big power aces.
      Stef wins 2nd set tiebreaker. Very impressive, as Nick had all the momentum and was in showboat too cool for school mode and seemingly in complete control of match and just looking like the better player in the match.
      Nick wins in 3rd set tiebreaker. Nick deserved it, he was clearly the better player. Stef deserves huge credit for hanging in there and extending the match as he did.

Nice notes stroke...sounds like a typical Nick Kyrgios match when he half way gives a damn. 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. How apropos. Quid pro quo. Thought I'd thrown that in. Nick certainly is the only player that I have ever seen who will play with such nonchalance (too cool for school) and just turn it on at the end to win going away. I don't think the Federer comparison works for the serve. Two things...the motion first of all. I believe that both are terribly efficient but the edge goes to Federer for aesthetics. Tactically they are polar opposites as well. While Nick can hit the corners and lines his dependence on sheer speed is the antithesis of Roger. Roger is like a major league baseball pitcher with his assortment of deliveries in terms of the different combinations of the elements of control...speed, spin and placement.

But Nick has a different idea about control and how it applies to the serve. Speed, speed and more speed. He just keeps pouring on the heat. He will change up once in a while but usually that can be boiled down to more show boating. Amazing how he can play to just arrive at the tie-breaker and then just say to his opponent..."you can't touch this". Love that kind of attitude on the serve but why doesn't he have a similar return game strategy other than...tank, tank...tank.

He is massively entertaining to watch when he has his head halfway in the game. Halfway being head in on serve...head up his butt on return. Stefanos is really the most impressive young player out there over time I think. Even in this match where Nick give you absolutely no rhythm, Stefanos hangs around to get into position to eek it out. Didn't happen this time but this match isn't lost on him. He is the kind of player who also learns from his experiences. He's pretty watchable.

Kyrgios and Tsitsipas may be one of the best matchups going forwards into the future and it will get even better if Nick ever gets around to getting his psycho attitude straightened out. You cannot play tennis like this and expect any sort of consistency. He will have a hard time winning a Grand Slam without getting his noodle on straight. Best of five is a different story. You don't play that kind of lolly gagging around tennis and expect to win over two weeks. Something can go wrong. One miscalculation and you are you know what. F'd.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I missed that match because I was in the gym. I'm glad I didn't know the match was on even though it wouldn't have made any difference. My priorities are etched in stone...much unlike Nick's.
        don_budge

Comment

I get the feeling that Tsitsipas was a bit more on edge vs Nick than he usually is. I am thinking it is because he knows what he has put in to be where he is and he is completely aware that Nick has not done this. Nick just goes out there with that serve, 1st and 2nd(and his 2nd may be the very best one out there) can still beat anyone anytime and act like a showoff doing it. Stef is a bit irritated at this and I can understand this irritation. To me, if Nick does not ever win a Major, he will go down as the biggest underachiever ever. And to add to Nick's irritation resume, he has a massive forehand(clearly bigger than Stef's when he wants it to be), a very solid backhand, great hands, and very good foot speed. Just a very irritating mix of things he is very good at.
          Last edited by stroke; 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Just a very irritating mix of things he is very good at.
            Sums it up...perfectly.

don_budge

Comment

I get the feeling that Tsitsipas was a bit more on edge vs Nick than he usually is. I am thinking it is because he knows what he has put in to be where he is and he is completely aware that Nick has not done this. Nick just goes out there with that serve, 1st and 2nd(and his 2nd may be the very best one out there) can still beat anyone anytime and act like a showoff doing it. Stef is a bit irritated at this and I can understand this irritation. To me, if Nick does not ever win a Major, he will go down as the biggest underachiever ever. And to add to Nick's irritation resume, he has a massive forehand(clearly bigger than Stef's when he wants it to be), a very solid backhand, great hands, and very good foot speed. Just a very irritating mix of things he is very good at.

I get the feeling that Stefanos is clearly concentrating on a point by point basis much harder than Kyrgios. I believe that it is a product of all of the very serious work this young man has been putting in. One thing that I noticed early on about Tsitsipas that I believe is one of the hallmarks of great champions and I mean truly great is that he can get down and dirty and fight. I remember some of the matches a couple of years ago that he was in against some of the hardened vets on the tour and he would lose the first set he just dug down deep and hung around and found ways to win. So his fighting skills are very elite. I don't see the same quality in any of the younger players. He is hungrier than the rest.

In this match it appears to me that Tsitsipas is really maturing. Even physically. He is bigger and stronger and his serve is really starting to make a big impression. The interesting thing is he is still developing. There is still a lot of potential to be mined. I like the collared shirt look on Stefanos. He looks a bit neater. A little cleaner. Appearance count too. Look clean...play clean. The scruffy hair and the scruffy beard are fine. It is the combination of the clean appearance and the look of a musketeer that will give him the attractiveness of the matinee idol tennis going to desperately in search after Federer leaves the stadium.

After watching this highlight video of Nick and Stefanos I am convinced that there are no future rivalries that have the potential to match this. But that is only going to hold true as long as Nick can hold it together. With his attitude and nonchalant act it might not be a good long term wager. He could flame out at a very young age. His talent might just be the highest there is on tour. He has the overwhelming power yet even in this match he exhibits rare touch and absolutely superb hands. Some of the touch shots he was hitting under the extreme pressure of the tie-breaks was really outstanding. In fact it was that combination of raw power and producing the unexpected soft shots that won him the match.

A superb match and it was just great to see Nick playing hard in his Australian backyard and wearing his Australian colours. Whatever it takes. I think that what Nick is lacking is inspiration. Maybe the right woman in his life might just settle him down and get him to apply himself. Maybe an older woman who knows what it takes for a man to tick. Somebody who knows how to push the right buttons. A suitable coach is going to be really tough to come by. Maybe a combination of a good woman and a coach. He is spiritually and psychologically lacking at this point to be as consistent as he needs to be over time to be among the greats that Australia has produced.

All of this is going to be great for the Australian Open. The boys are sharpening their blades and renewing their rivalries. That should be great preparation for the big stage.

don_budge

Comment

Dan Evans is my new hero.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                  Dan Evans is my new hero.
                  I've been tracking Daniel Evans for some time now. He has impressed me with his one handed backhand game and his ability to mix it up somewhat. I also get the impression that he brings it to the court and isn't afraid to mix it up with the big boys. If he was just a bit more of a physical specimen he might be a bigger factor. Here are some past posts about Daniel Evans.

November 8, 2012...julian1

Originally posted by julian1 View Post
                  Janowicz played a major role in Poland's 3–2 Davis Cup win over Great Britain at Liverpool's Echo Arena. Janowicz defeated Daniel Evans (6–3, 6–3, 7–6) but lost to World No. 4 Andy Murray, 3–6, 4–6, 3–6.
                  I believe it was in 2009
                  Poland is ranked currently 38 on the Davis Cup.
                  November 8, 2012...stotty

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  Anyone can beat Daniel Evans. He's not a world-class player; don't think he's ever beaten anyone. GB are a one man team: Murray.

The Davis Cup is not what it was, Murray isn't overly keen and tries to get out of playing it at times.

Bill Tilden was right, it's too protracted...was in his day...still is now. Lets change it, change the time frame, change the format....could be a great event if someone has the courage to modify it.
                  January 20, 2017...don_budge

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Daniel Evans...Blast from the Pasts

Here is a classic player. A dyed in the wool Harry Hopman model. It's great to see this type of player emerge. There should be one hundred more just like him. He has put down carbon copies of the modern player...big names both. Marin Cilic and Bernard Tomic. Neither having the reputation for being the toughest mental tools in the shed. Next up...another carbon copy. Another mental question mark. Evans looks to be fundamentally sound and plays the whole court. He is throwing his opponents off balance with his tactics. I like his chances.
                  March 1, 2017...don_budge

​The Match of the Day...Daniel Evans versus "The Amazing Mr. Monfils"

After already dispensing another talented albeit loosely wrapped long tall athlete...Daniel Evans takes his all court game to the field against "The Most Amazing" Gael Monfils. Evans took out "Downtown" Dustin Brown in short straight sets which is exactly what you want to see a player do in the first round of a tournament. Take guys down with impunity. You've got to get right down to business and kick some ass for the other players to start to take you seriously and cause them to doubt themselves before they even step out on to the court with you. In this case Mr. Monfils has to at least be asking himself who is this guy.

Daniel Evans made a nice impression on me at the Australian Open where on some slightly quicker courts took down a couple of very good players before bowing to yet another big bruising Frenchman...Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Evans has a created a nice opportunity here to take down one of the biggest if not most flamboyant names in the game...Gael Monfils. Monfils for his part has looked to take the game just a bit more seriously in the past year or so but can a leopard really change it's spots? His reputation as a "hot dog" proceeds his and this guy Evans is all business. This is the match of the day...besides you know who.
                  March 5, 2017...don_budge

The tournament was over for me when Roger Federer lost to...who was that? So the takeaway for me was this match with Daniel Evans and Gael Monfils. I left when they had split sets and Monfils went on to beat him 6-1 in the third. I really like this Evans character and it shows that smaller players can compete. I hope that he continues to develop. He is one of the few players on the tour that is actually quite interesting to watch. He's tactical, he's feisty and he is aggressive. He plays the big boys heads up and doesn't back down.

He had Monfils on his heels during the second set. I didn't get to see the third and I was curious how it went.
                  March 13, 2017...don_budge

2017 Indian Wells...Round of 64

It looks to be some interesting pairings in the bottom half but you know how that goes. They sound interesting on paper but when it gets down to action nearly every time it turns into a snoozer unless you know who is playing. The Living Proof...Roger Federer.

Marin Cilic versus Taylor Fritz looks to have some potential as Cilic is struggling and Fritz is an up and coming American. But where is the charisma? The savoir faire? Jack Sock against Finnish born and Swiss domicile Henri Laaksonen. Henri defeated the "Next Generation" whiz kid flash in the pan Borna Coric. How about Donald Young and Sam Querry? Can anything of interest develop from this match up other than a final score? And so on and so forth. You see how I am. It's tough to find anything of any real interest if you are a true connoisseur of the game. I watched Jo-Wilfred Tsong and the petulant Italian Fognini last night. I opted for the pillow after a set and a couple of games. Can Fognini put together a string of good performances? It's a good question...don't you think so?

There is a match that can potentially be very interesting. I have been watching this guy quite closely and his game interests me for a couple of reasons. Daniel Evans plays Kei Nishikori. Evans dispatched "Downtown" Dustin Brown with impunity in the first round just as he should if he is serious about playing on the ATP tour. Brown is an exceptionally talented player who just seems to lack the glue to hold it all together for any substantial period of time therefore he should be cat food for the serious contender. Evans sent him packing to the tune of 6-1, 6-1. Enter the Japanese Kid...Kei Nishikori. Nishikori has not played due to his being the #4 seed so Evans has a bit of an advantage since he is somewhat used to the conditions. Also the two are even head to head with each having one win over the other. Evans surprisingly beating Nishikori in straight sets at the U. S. Open in 2013 in a first round.

I really like Evans and what I have seen from him. I like the way he competes and he doesn't back down against the big boys. He is a little guy...5' 9" tall and 165 lbs. So is Nishikori. He is an inch taller and the same weight. I think this one should be fun seeing the two go toe to toe. Nishikori doesn't back away from the baseline either. The difference is that Evans seems to be much more inclined to go forwards and attack. I like that way he takes the short ball and flattens it out and drives it...catching these guys on their heels a lot. In Dubai he was really walloping Monfils before Gael got it under control. It looks to me that Evans may be one of these workman type guys who just may develop into some kind of giant killer. I hope so. The game needs lots of players like this guy. Enough of the boring baseliners who haven't fully graduated from the junior game.
                  January 16, 2019...don_budge

Federer Update...Roger Federer vs. Anybody

Roger Federer looking a bit out of whack at times managed his dysfunction with a flourish. I think that one of the keys to living a reasonably tolerable life is to manage one's dysfunction. Let's face it...we all have it. It's not like we try to put it on display but it's there and it rears its ugly head at some of the most inopportune moments. Nick Kyrgios is a case in point. He easily gets frustrated and it just comes bubbling to the surface in the form of excuses not to perform and that is how he acts it out. Federer on the other hand was not in fiddle form but he did the right thing. He didn't advertise that he wasn't feeling up to snuff...he simply put his head down and went to work. It was an excellent example how to beat somebody when you are not at your best. You find a way to win and he is so good he did it pulling away at the end. Such is the difference in the level of his talent and Anybody's.

In this case it was Daniel Evans from Great Britain. I have heard of some swirling controversy that seems to follow this guy but every time that I have seen him play I have liked him and appreciated a couple of things about him. Today...or was it yesterday in Australia...he really suited up and came to play. He took Roger to tie-breakers in the first two sets before Roger steamrolled him in the third. Rollercoastered him...playing frictionless tennis as he glides around the court as if he is on ice skates. Pure inertia. One more thing that makes Daniel Evans a great representative of the game from what I have seen...he wore all white in his match against Roger Federer. This is something that I really like. It speaks of tradition. It speaks of a salute to the old Australian tennis played under the tutelage of the great coach Harry Hopman. It speaks to my stated coaching paradigm that connects the dots from the 1920's to the present day. It speaks to a love of the game which is something that anyone reading these words surely understands.

Tennis is like a woman. She has been a bit fickle through the years. But her beauty is so irresistible...so unbelievably alluring. In all her forms there is something to long for. Like a distant memory of a lover I must have had. Perhaps it was only a dream. Such is the beauty...and love. At times the deception. You can be blinded by it and when it's over it is going to hurt...but deep inside you know it was worth it. After all...what the hell else is there to do?

January 15, 2019...stotty

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  Roger defeated former cocaine addict Dan Evans who has never quite regained form since his 12 month ban. I didn't see the affair but judging by don_budge's observations Roger was not as efficient as usual. I was expecting a 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 job and was surprised to see a couple of tie-breaks in the eventual scoreline.
                  January 16, 2019...don_budge

Often referred to as "The Devil's Lady" cocaine is a sign that you have too much money according to the late Robin Williams. Good to see Daniel Evans kick the habit and participating in more health endeavours. There are quite a few top level tennis players who have indulged in the "Bolivian Marching Powder" and none of them will testify that they are better off for it. Daniel sums it up pretty darn well...its a life ruiner.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nis-ban-return

February 25, 2019...don_budge

Utterly fantastic too to see Daniel Evans in the final. I like his game very much. The attitude too. I really like this guy. I don't care what anybody says about him. He who is without sin cast the first stone. Hopefully the demons are in the rearview mirror. Cocaine is something you only wish on your enemy.
                  March 7, 2019...don_budge

Yes...that should be a doozy if "Curious George" shows up and "The Jerk" stays in the hotel room. Novak usually shows up to play...great competitor. But look here now that the draw has been filled in.

https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...ells/404/draws

Stan "The Man" Wawrinka draws "Little" Daniel Evans in the first round. I really like this Evans fellow. Some do not, to which I say to each his own. But Evans likes to attack and Wawrinka sometimes plays way back behind the baseline. Not quite the Kyrgios vs. Djokovic dynamic but it has possibilities. Particularly because Evans has clawed his way through the qualifying round and is used to the conditions right from the get go. If he can jump on Wawrinka in the first set...well we'll see. Federer vs. Wawrinka would have just as much watchability appeal as the Kyrgios vs. Djokovic. But of course everyone will have to win some matches first.

It's going to be a great tournament. Yes...it will.

​​​​​​​
                  don_budge

Comment

Thanks don_budge for those interesting posts. I knew I liked Dan Evans before, but in beating De Minaur in front of an Aussie crowd, and dealing with slating from Leyton Hewitt in the team zone, he showed real steel. I also loved it when Dan Evans fist pumped after getting a lucky net cord winner. He (Evans) kept drawing De Minaur in with short slices and then taking his chances - lobbing or passing, On a different note, I know sport needs to discourage drug-taking, but getting a ban for taking performance-destroying drugs always struck me as a bit harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                      Thanks don_budge for those interesting posts. I knew I liked Dan Evans before, but in beating De Minaur in front of an Aussie crowd, and dealing with slating from Leyton Hewitt in the team zone, he showed real steel. I also loved it when Dan Evans fist pumped after getting a lucky net cord winner. He (Evans) kept drawing De Minaur in with short slices and then taking his chances - lobbing or passing, On a different note, I know sport needs to discourage drug-taking, but getting a ban for taking performance-destroying drugs always struck me as a bit harsh.
                      That's right glacierguy...Daniel Evans is an extremely interesting tennis player and a human being as well. I didn't se the De Minaur match that you are referring to but I did watch him against Nadal today and he was on the verge of upsetting him. I think he woke up just a tad too soon and realised what he was about to do and he got tentative before getting the horse in the barn. Those tactics are extremely intriguing...those are the very same tactics that I watched him employ against Nadal and tactics that I have been advocating forever against the two handed game.

Regards the drug taking. Let's face it...there is absolutely nothing new under the sun and I don't consider cocaine a performance enhancer. Surely it is a performance detracted. But look...everyone makes mistakes. I think it is one of the wonders on earth when a guy comes back from making mistakes and learning from them. Isn't that what life is all about? I think it makes me like Evans all the more. All Americans used to like the classic come from behind kid. The down and outer who picks himself up by the bootstraps and gets back on it. I think johnyandel could have used the Daniel Evans in his collage of backhands in his "Backswing Video". It belongs right up there with those great ones. Not that it is great but the guy just makes it work. He's clever. He's scrappy. He doesn't take no for an answer easily.

Good eye guy. Evans is a player to watch. He may not make the top ten but he just might give anybody a hard time on any given day. I am pulling for him. I like him very much.

These are the balance of my Daniel Evans observations:

March 25, 2019...don_budge

The Mueller Report...No Collusion, No Obstruction of Justice

After two years of subjecting the President of the United States of America to microscopic scrutiny. Nothing. A good day for America.

I did watch Denis Shapovalov take out Daniel Evans in three sets. I really don't care about any problems Evans has had in the past I like this young man. The haircut...the white clothes. The rather old school take on the game of tennis here in 2019...the future. The tour needs about thirty or forty more players just like him.
                      August 8, 2019...don_budge

I watched some of the first set and the tie-breaker. I really, really like that Daniel Evans. First of all he is bouncing back from some bad choices or mistakes he has made on his journey...none of which I am in a position to judge him for. But I really admire his pluck. I love the white clothes and the classic game. Against Nadal he alone has shown the way to play him and that is to take control of the tempo of the match. Dictate play. He served and volleyed. He charged the net. He snuck into the net. He did it behind some clever approach shots and he made Nadal play in the forecourt as well. He didn't manage to get the horse in the barn in the first set but he had set point. Secondly he easily defeated The Demon who personally I find to be very difficult to watch.

Daniel is not quite enough of a "physical presence" to intimidate Nadal but I believe that if someone was trained and capable of these kind of tactics it would be successful against the likes of both Nadal and Djokovic. Of course it would help if the courts weren't playing like molasses in winter. Rather entertaining set from Mr. Evans. I wonder if he went out and had a couple of cocktails afterwards. Or is he plotting a course on the straight and narrow?
                      August 28, 2019...don_budge

Match of the Day, Second Round Play at the 2019 U. S. Open...Roger Federer vs. Damir Dzumhur

I like the Brit Daniel Evans who is the only player that I have seen recently to use any kind of different tactics against Rafael Nadal. He was serving and volleying and chipping and charging. Why not? Everyone has tried to beat him from the backcourt. How about putting some pressure on HIM? Evans plays Lucas Poille who is another tough customer from the baseline.

don_budge

Comment

The match you have all been waiting for. The one match that I would like to see...just to watch Djokovic pin the tail on the donkey. The Jackass. Watch the two players eat up the shot clock with their bouncey-bouncey act. Never before in the history of tennis have two players bounced the ball so many times in a single match. They should keep stats. Most bounces in a two set match. Most in a three set...all the way up to the fiver. Make the clock five seconds. Give them five to get to the line and another five to get the ball in play. When inbounding a ball in basketball the team with the ball has only five seconds to get in play.
                        don_budge

Comment

The match you have all been waiting for. The one match that I would like to see...just to watch Djokovic pin the tail on the donkey. The Jackass. Watch the two players eat up the shot clock with their bouncey-bouncey act. Never before in the history of tennis have two players bounced the ball so many times in a single match. They should keep stats. Most bounces in a two set match. Most in a three set...all the way up to the fiver. Make the clock five seconds. Give them five to get to the line and another five to get the ball in play. When inbounding a ball in basketball the team with the ball has only five seconds to get in play.
                          Shame...I would like to see this. But priorities being what they are...the gym comes first. Ten weeks in.
                          don_budge

Comment

Shame...I would like to see this. But priorities being what they are...the gym comes first. Ten weeks in.
                            In the end it was nothing more than a glorified exhibition. I came home from town just in time to see Djokovic serve out his first match point. In that respect there was certainly something to be gained from said exhibition. Roger elected to not participate. One thing to be said for this format is that it certainly got the players a lot of match play. Perfect preparation for the Australian Open which starts in eight days.

Seventeen sets in a row now for Djokovic over Nadal on hard courts.
                            don_budge

Comment

That is some stat, 17 sets in a row on hard vs Nadal. It is 19 now after today's match. I would not have thought possible vs a guy that never gives in as Nadal. Very impressive obviously.
                              Last edited by stroke; 01-12-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

That is some stat, 17 sets in a row on hard vs Nadal. It is 19 now after today's match. I would not have thought possible vs a guy that never gives in as Nadal. Very impressive obviously.
                                I guess Rafael Nadal must be feeling a little butt hurt with Novak's dominance coupled with Roger's dominance. Poor Nadal.

He went through his usual antics in this match and John McEnroe called him on it a number of times. Not every time. But John delivered some really telling, yet subtle, comments regards the antics of Nadal. John has to somewhat careful as he doesn't want to be the kettle calling the pot black.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3305 users online. 7 members and 3298 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X