No announcement yet.

Developing Touch: Drop Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I personally don't like most drop shots I see because they telegraph . . . either with a racquet head "scooping" in a semicircle motion or with the "feathering" motion on a down-the-line forehand. Learned this from a "how to" tennis book in the 1980's. A passage by Pancho Segura said to "let the ball knock the racquet out of your hand". I only do it on a short ball, hitting a half-volley but almost releasing my grip at the last moment. The ball will barely make it over the net. Works on drop volleys too - in fact you can convert the pace of a hard-hit passing shot into backspin,making it even more effective.

I have tried to pass this technique on to a few teaching pro's because I have never been able to convince a player to try it. Sounds too dumb or something, and it only shows up to someone watching as a complete absence of technique (unless you actually drop your racquet).

PS If you are using one of the modern 95 sq. in. or wider racquets, you have to let the ball contact the strings off-center (above the center line of the string bed) or the modern racquet will send the ball too deep into the court and your opponent will pass you.

Comment

flat flat: Totally agree on the “softhands” half volley and drop volley, especially if the opponent strikes the ball hard. Didn’t think about the 95 sq inch thing... I think you are right because I lost some touch when I went to 100. Have used the same concept for net play in badminton and Pickleball tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by flatflat View Post
        OK. I personally don't like most drop shots I see because they telegraph . . . either with a racquet head "scooping" in a semicircle motion or with the "feathering" motion on a down-the-line forehand. Learned this from a "how to" tennis book in the 1980's. A passage by Pancho Segura said to "let the ball knock the racquet out of your hand". I only do it on a short ball, hitting a half-volley but almost releasing my grip at the last moment. The ball will barely make it over the net. Works on drop volleys too - in fact you can convert the pace of a hard-hit passing shot into backspin,making it even more effective.

I have tried to pass this technique on to a few teaching pro's because I have never been able to convince a player to try it. Sounds too dumb or something, and it only shows up to someone watching as a complete absence of technique (unless you actually drop your racquet).

PS If you are using one of the modern 95 sq. in. or wider racquets, you have to let the ball contact the strings off-center (above the center line of the string bed) or the modern racquet will send the ball too deep into the court and your opponent will pass you.
        You need to play with more South American clay courters.

Dastardly.

J

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2939 users online. 4 members and 2935 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X