2021 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, England

Seriously...is this really the Wimbledon lineup?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

There doesn't seem to be a single real bonafide grass court player besides Roger Federer in the draw. Thank God for Roger. This might just be his swan song as well. But even so...there is only one reason to get slightly interested in this tournament and it is all about Roger. I don't think his form is as bad as he has made it out to be. Hopefully the lawn at Wimbledon and the crowd and atmosphere will revive him. Inspire him. I could see him getting through his section of the draw to the round of 16...maybe even the quarters. But even by taking it one round at a time...he will keep it interesting as long as he is around. Who knows? He might just have one more surprise left in him. Just forget about the recent performances. They don't count for much if anything. Particularly the last match against Auger-Aliassime. He let it go after the first set. I want to believe that. Adrianno Mannarino is a really good first round opponent for him. Not to soft and not too strong. We'll get a finger on his pulse after this round. I saw Mannarino playing recently and he looked quite sharp against a favoured opponent. Actually it was Daniel Evans he played against and lost to.

The rest of it is just frightfully boring. Not a single volleyer in the bunch. Novak is the odds on favourite. A virtual lock. He is the wily cat in the field with all of his assets still at his disposal. He has reached an age where his experience is just about maximised and yet his physical skills and endurance have not been impaired. He played dead two rounds at the French and came roaring back as if nothing had happened. He put a real whipping on Nadal and made up his mind for him...about Wimbledon. If he couldn't beat Novak on the dirt he certainly doesn't have a snowball's chance in hades on the velcro...I mean lawn at Wimbledon. Nadal showing his true colours by the way. What a huge mistake to make a statue of him at Roland Garros. Suffice it to say that I will never return to that place again. Not to mention it is boring, boring...boring.

The only other point of interest other than Roger is good old Saint Nick. Nick Kyrgios. Which Nick is going to show? Has the time off given him time to think? Will he come back a changed man? This tournament could be his if he had his head on straight. The tournament is going to need a character like Nick to keep it awake as well. Otherwise it just could be four or five rounds of foreplay and Federer. Novak isn't going to cause any excitement at all. He will make his way through the fortnight without so much as a wakeup call. He could sleep walk to the finals. Unless someone gets hot and can see it through. But they will have to get the final nail in the coffin to make it stick. Otherwise this guy is slippery. He gives you the limp leg and then he is off to the finish line.

All eyes on Roger Federer. The preparation is all under his belt now. This guy knows how to prepare. Has he had sufficient time to do his homework? We are about to find out. Aren't we?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    2021 French Open Men's Semifinals...The most boring day of tennis ever

Nadalophytes..."nobody can touch Nadal". So glad to see Novak Djokovic man up and stare it down. I'm no fan of Jerkovic...but today he is the White Knight! God Bless him! I wasn't surprised in the least. The last match between these two at Roland Garros was rather dubious with all the drop shot stuff from Novak when he had a tried and proven formula for success against "The Great Imposter". Tennis is at an all time low if one man can dominate one tournament for so long. Think shallow. Lack of depth. The illusion is in the racquet. The oversized graphite racquet. Roger is the living proof in this regard too as an additional ten square inches elevated him to the top of the game once again at the end of his career. Did you see the abysmal net play all day yesterday? Flubbing the easiest of shots at the net and in the forecourt. The commentators gushing and schmoozing...adoring even. Enough to make anyone who knows better throw up. The two Brits or Aussies or whoever it was with those flowery accents botched and butchered the entire matches. Pure shlock.

Who is going to win on Sunday as if it makes any difference now that that vile individual is gone? Who believes they can win? They both do so don't rule either out. Why wouldn't Djokovic think he could win? He just took out Berrettini and Nadal in four sets running away. Tsitsipas? His serve hasn't been fixed...has it? Novak returns pretty well. If he wins he joins Federer and "The Great Imposter" at 20 in Grand Slam wins. Who has the motivation? Tsitsipas wants to join the ranks but he is still a wannabe as of this post. Go figure.

The world is a better place today. So would Roland Garros if it wasn't for that hideous statue of Nadal they erected. Figures that they would too. False Gods. He has always been a blasphemy on the name of tennis.

Originally posted by seano View Post
    DB - I believe Djokovic has only 18 Grand Slam titles.
    He has 19 now.
    don_budge

Comment

At Wimbledon in 2001, a teenage hopeful took on the serial champion. It was a match for the ages - the only time two greats met.
      Stotty

Comment

Seriously...is this really the Wimbledon lineup?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

There doesn't seem to be a single real bonafide grass court player besides Roger Federer in the draw. Thank God for Roger. This might just be his swan song as well. But even so...there is only one reason to get slightly interested in this tournament and it is all about Roger. I don't think his form is as bad as he has made it out to be. Hopefully the lawn at Wimbledon and the crowd and atmosphere will revive him. Inspire him. I could see him getting through his section of the draw to the round of 16...maybe even the quarters. But even by taking it one round at a time...he will keep it interesting as long as he is around. Who knows? He might just have one more surprise left in him. Just forget about the recent performances. They don't count for much if anything. Particularly the last match against Auger-Aliassime. He let it go after the first set. I want to believe that. Adrianno Mannarino is a really good first round opponent for him. Not to soft and not too strong. We'll get a finger on his pulse after this round. I saw Mannarino playing recently and he looked quite sharp against a favoured opponent. Actually it was Daniel Evans he played against and lost to.

The rest of it is just frightfully boring. Not a single volleyer in the bunch. Novak is the odds on favourite. A virtual lock. He is the wily cat in the field with all of his assets still at his disposal. He has reached an age where his experience is just about maximised and yet his physical skills and endurance have not been impaired. He played dead two rounds at the French and came roaring back as if nothing had happened. He put a real whipping on Nadal and made up his mind for him...about Wimbledon. If he couldn't beat Novak on the dirt he certainly doesn't have a snowball's chance in hades on the velcro...I mean lawn at Wimbledon. Nadal showing his true colours by the way. What a huge mistake to make a statue of him at Roland Garros. Suffice it to say that I will never return to that place again. Not to mention it is boring, boring...boring.

The only other point of interest other than Roger is good old Saint Nick. Nick Kyrgios. Which Nick is going to show? Has the time off given him time to think? Will he come back a changed man? This tournament could be his if he had his head on straight. The tournament is going to need a character like Nick to keep it awake as well. Otherwise it just could be four or five rounds of foreplay and Federer. Novak isn't going to cause any excitement at all. He will make his way through the fortnight without so much as a wakeup call. He could sleep walk to the finals. Unless someone gets hot and can see it through. But they will have to get the final nail in the coffin to make it stick. Otherwise this guy is slippery. He gives you the limp leg and then he is off to the finish line.

All eyes on Roger Federer. The preparation is all under his belt now. This guy knows how to prepare. Has he had sufficient time to do his homework? We are about to find out. Aren't we?
        Nick is reportedly teaming with Venus in mixed doubles. I'll stick my neck out and predict lots of big first serves and some yucks

Comment

Nick is a douche no matter singles, doubles, or mixed.

Comment

Match of the day tomorrow Murray vs Bash. I would have to pick Bash. It is certainly on his racquet.

Comment

Nelly Korda (Women's PGA Champion)...Sebastien's sister

Seb has his hand's full with Alex the Demon in the first round.
              don_budge

Comment

The Demon is favored. Very tough 1st round for Sebastien. Ugo is favored over Nick, speaking of tough 1st rounds. And Bash is a slight favorite over Murray, no surprise to me.

Comment

Novak loses 1st set Jack Draper. The grass appears to be very slippery out there.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Novak loses 1st set Jack Draper. The grass appears to be very slippery out there.
                    Lockdown in 1...2...3.
                    don_budge

Comment

Lockdown in 1...2...3.
                      Welcome to Lockdown City Draper.

Stef is down 2 sets to love to Tiafoe. Tiafoe has looked the better player, he deserves it thus far. We will see if he can finish. Tiafoe has certainly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory before.
                      Last edited by stroke; 06-28-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Well a great win for Tiafoe in 3 straight. Simply not a good loss though by Stef.

Comment

Ho hum. Yawn. First round histrionics. Andy Murray in the house and he hasn't changed a little bit. Except he is older. He is slower. He has blown a 5-0 lead in the third set trying to close out Mr. Basilashvili...that's one "l" thank you. A packed centre court in London cheering on their lacklustre hero. It's pure theatre. A bit tragic, really. Basilashvili for his part seemed to be setting Murray up for a staged "Djokovic Syndrome" as he played basically totally unimaginative tennis as Andy has thrown lots of off speed stuff at "The Basher" from Georgia. Andy seemed to be in some kind of death throes at the end of the set...just physically depleted. Couldn't get the horse in the barn. So close...yet so far. Ouch...that has to hurt.
                          don_budge

Comment

Ho hum. Yawn. First round histrionics. Andy Murray in the house and he hasn't changed a little bit. Except he is older. He is slower. He has blown a 5-0 lead in the third set trying to close out Mr. Basilashvili...that's one "l" thank you. A packed centre court in London cheering on their lacklustre hero. It's pure theatre. A bit tragic, really. Basilashvili for his part seemed to be setting Murray up for a staged "Djokovic Syndrome" as he played basically totally unimaginative tennis as Andy has thrown lots of off speed stuff at "The Basher" from Georgia. Andy seemed to be in some kind of death throes at the end of the set...just physically depleted. Couldn't get the horse in the barn. So close...yet so far. Ouch...that has to hurt.
                            Neither player has even an idea about approaching the net. This is a total baseline affair on grass. This is not even tennis as tennis was played before. It's strange. People accept this as normal. "The new normal". Well it isn't normal. It isn't funny. It isn't entertaining unless you want to see Andy Murray taken down like a wounded bull in a bull fight. With Basilashvili there to apply the sabre between the shoulder blades as the climactic final scene. First round histrionics. Poor Andy. Poor tennis world. Yawn. Nighty night.
                            don_budge

Comment

Neither player has even an idea about approaching the net. This is a total baseline affair on grass. This is not even tennis as tennis was played before. It's strange. People accept this as normal. "The new normal". Well it isn't normal. It isn't funny. It isn't entertaining unless you want to see Andy Murray taken down like a wounded bull in a bull fight. With Basilashvili there to apply the sabre between the shoulder blades as the climactic final scene. First round histrionics. Poor Andy. Poor tennis world. Yawn. Nighty night.
                              Murray won 9 of 12 net points in 4 sets on a grass court and won. That’s stupid! It is ridiculous they changed the grass allowing tactics like these to succeed at Wimbledon. The points look so similar to the ones a couple of weeks back at the French Open. Why they had to dumb it down for longer points to look like everything else for the casual tennis fans. I miss the art of serving and volleying, the value and pressure of returning low at the feet, and the magical volleys and passing shots on the 3rd and 4th shots of each point. It’s a shame! I grew up watching a different Wimbledon and I miss it! Hopefully someone will try and bully Novak by serving and volleying as a primary tactic. I doubt it’ll happen but I can hope to see it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3404 users online. 10 members and 3394 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X