No announcement yet.

2021 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the "won the stat line but lost the match' this has to be one of the most extreme examples.

So, Herbert won 229-218 points, 28 aces to one (1) lonely solitary one in five (5) sets {you'd expect more than 1 ace in 5 sets by accident), more BPs, and nearly 4x as many winners. But lost 6-8 in the fifth.

I guess the 99 UFEs mattered <g>

filedata/fetch?id=94493&d=1625075212&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 06-30-2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Roger Federer's next opponent will be a familiar and friendly name to Roger. He owns a 18-2 head to head against...Richard Gasquet. No guarantees regarding Nick Kyrgios...which Nick will show up next. He was very, very focused today in the second leg of the match. There is no such thing as working his way into a tournament as Roger is trying to do. Nick is always on a match to match basis.

Daniel Evans through to the third round and he will play the winner of Sebastien Korda and his opponent. Evans look really comfortable against a strict baseline and made his way to the net whenever he could...finishing off match point with a nice point at the net. Boris Becker said players are not comfortable playing Evans because of the style he plays.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
        In the "won the stat line but lost the match' this has to be one of the most extreme examples.

So, Herbert won 229-218 points, 28 aces to one (1) lonely solitary one in five (5) sets {you'd expect more than 1 ace in 5 sets by accident), more BPs, and nearly 4x as many winners. But lost 6-8 in the fifth.

I guess the 99 UFEs mattered <g>

filedata/fetch?id=94493&d=1625075212&type=thumb
        Yes, I would put that loss for PHH at the top of the food chain unpalatable. As Chandler Bing might have said, could winning matches in men's pro tennis be any more difficult?

Comment

After all, Lockdown City has only 1 inhabitant. That 3rd set vs Nadal at FO was the ultimate example of what Lockdown looks like. It can take away the fight of even the most accomplished opponent. And it has a lingering effect. See Tsitsipas here at Wimbledon.
          Last edited by stroke; 06-30-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Novak looked immaculate today and is head and shoulders the best player in the tournament so far. But funny things can happen in tennis, which is what keeps us all watching even when things look like a forgone conclusion.

Murray is muddling through as I write and has just gone 2-0 up in the fifth. I would back him to win at this point as Murray is very good at muddling through.

Shame Ugo went out. Nick is good entertainment but a complete douche of a bloke and who can never go deep in a slam because he is afraid to look like he's trying...too cool for school. Ugo might have caused an upset had he progressed...he has that kind of game about him on a grass court.
            Stotty

Comment

As DB might say, the Murray drama is at a crescendo. The sole person on earth that could possibly eclipse it is alas, no longer in the tournament. She got inured and excited in tears.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                Novak looked immaculate today and is head and shoulders the best player in the tournament so far. But funny things can happen in tennis, which is what keeps us all watching even when things look like a forgone conclusion.

Murray is muddling through as I write and has just gone 2-0 up in the fifth. I would back him to win at this point as Murray is very good at muddling through.

Shame Ugo went out. Nick is good entertainment but a complete douche of a bloke and who can never go deep in a slam because he is afraid to look like he's trying...too cool for school. Ugo might have caused an upset had he progressed...he has that kind of game about him on a grass court.
                He is so too cool for school. And how about his new right arm sleeve. Too good. Reality TV at its best. One cannot script this stuff. Just let him do what he does.

Comment

If I were Nick's coach/mentor, the only thing I could possibly suggest to make him a bit more cool would be a neck tattoo, preferably one of some kind of reptile with a tail that extends up very close to his left or right ear.

Comment

Murray muddled through...thought he might. Shapovalov should be more of a challenge on paper but then he's not the brightest kid on the block when it comes to winning matches.

Roger's match against Gasquet ought to be a safe bet since he's beaten him umpteen times and Gasquet has all but conceded he can't beat any of the Big 3. It helps when you have a guy beaten before he steps on court.
                    Stotty

Comment

Murray muddled through...thought he might. Shapovalov should be more of a challenge on paper but then he's not the brightest kid on the block when it comes to winning matches.

Roger's match against Gasquet ought to be a safe bet since he's beaten him umpteen times and Gasquet has all but conceded he can't beat any of the Big 3. It helps when you have a guy beaten before he steps on court.
                      What about if Gasquet were to get a neck tattoo? Do you think that would help his chances?

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

What about if Gasquet were to get a neck tattoo? Do you think that would help his chances?
                        No, he's going have to grow a proper pair of balls I'm afraid. A tattoo won't phase Roger.
                        Stotty

Comment

No, he's going have to grow a proper pair of balls I'm afraid. A tattoo won't phase Roger.
                          Ha agreed. I really wish someone could convince Nick. He maybe could win a couple of Majors. Not 19 or 20 though.

Comment

2021 Wimbledon Match of the Day...Roger Federer vs. Richard Gasquet

Well...what did you expect? Of course all eyes are on Roger Federer. At least those of us that bet with our hearts and not necessarily rationale thought. The Quixotic. Richard Gasquet is not to be trifled with which is not to say he is not the ideal for Roger at this point in the tournament. Federer needs an opponent who is tough enough to warrant some concern for his survivability in the tournament, but not one who is a lock to take him out. He needs to get his teeth in the tournament if he has them. At this point it is questionable after watching him flounder somewhat against the likes of Adrian Mannarino. Gasquet is not to be taken for granted by Federer at this point...the lopsided head to head not withstanding.

Nick Kyrgios against anybody always deserves an honourable mention. In his case it is a dishonourable mention. Which Nick is going to show up? Bad Boy Nick or Saint Nick? Nick a saint? There are those of us that believe in redemption. No human soul can be counted it out...well at least until they cross the line. What is the line? Murder for one. Once that line is crossed it is a long road back. As far as I know Nick hasn't murdered anyone. His worst crime is that he is lost. He doesn't quite know what to make of it all. He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed intellectually speaking and he doesn't seem to have that voice in his corner to get him on track. He is like a ship lost at sea without any GPS...or even a rudder it seems at times. But he could find his way back. If he sees the light. The white light of inspiration. I know this is true. I hope he finds it. I don't see him as an evil sort...just sort of lost. He isn't alone in that respect either. I see it all around me. Lost souls.

Speaking of redemption...Daniel Evans. The commentator mentioned his "problem" with drugs in the past. This isn't an issue with me either. I like Evans. I like him a lot. He picked himself up on a road of self destruction and he is making good on his commitment. I admire him for that. His game is a reflection of his soul. He has pluck on the court. He isn't afraid to get in your face no matter how outgunned he might seem to be. There used to be 124 players in the draws of Wimbledon past who had games just like his. Those days are gone...Phil Collins said better left alone.

Yesterday I shot one under par for the first time this year. I actually had six birdies...to go along with two double bogeys and another bogey. That was enough birdies to shoot under my age of 67 without the miscues. So it goes. You can only imagine the work that I have put in. The dedication. The desire. The passion. Today is another day...I'm going to back to work. Nobody will outwork me. I'm all in. Yesterday was only a sign. It doesn't mean that I have accomplished anything. The key is consistency. That was an outlier. At least to date. Although the scores lately have been more consistently within a few strokes of par. But it is a sign...with enough work it may be achievable. Otherwise it was an act of God. Which is fine by me too. Thank you Lord...either way.
                            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              Speaking of redemption...Daniel Evans. The commentator mentioned his "problem" with drugs in the past. This isn't an issue with me either. I like Evans. I like him a lot. He picked himself up on a road of self destruction and he is making good on his commitment. I admire him for that. His game is a reflection of his soul. He has pluck on the court. He isn't afraid to get in your face no matter how outgunned he might seem to be. There used to be 124 players in the draws of Wimbledon past who had games just like his. Those days are gone...Phil Collins said better left alone.

Yesterday I shot one under par for the first time this year. I actually had six birdies...to go along with two double bogeys and another bogey. That was enough birdies to shoot under my age of 67 without the miscues. So it goes. You can only imagine the work that I have put in. The dedication. The desire. The passion. Today is another day...I'm going to back to work. Nobody will outwork me. I'm all in. Yesterday was only a sign. It doesn't mean that I have accomplished anything. The key is consistency. That was an outlier. At least to date. Although the scores lately have been more consistently within a few strokes of par. But it is a sign...with enough work it may be achievable. Otherwise it was an act of God. Which is fine by me too. Thank you Lord...either way.
                              Not to mention...the despair, the disappointment, the frustration. But at no point have I ever given up. There are always two sides of a coin. At the very least.
                              don_budge

Comment

Nick has catapulted up to the tied for 7th favorite to win Wimbledon after his tough 1st round win.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8354 users online. 5 members and 8349 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X