No announcement yet.

2021 Wimbledon Championships...ATP 2000...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goat? If three guys can get 20+ slams in one generation what does that mean when one driven individual takes over the sport completely in the near future. The points at all four majors look very similar with the same patterns winning at the French Open to Wimbledon and the hard courts as well. It is very doable for one man to win 3 or 4 slams in a year, and I’d go so far as to say multiple years in a row. I don’t believe we have seen the GOAT if you go by slam wins. In the early days the best grass court player would be the GOAT with 3 of 4 slams on grass. When I grew up watching in the late 80’s and 90’s clay court tennis and grass court tennis were a different sport. My heroes competed in a different generation where the points we different and you really had to adjust your game for Wimbledon especially. They still do but not even close to the way it was. With Wimbledon the way it is now Agassi might’ve won 4 Wimbledon’s. Jim Courier might’ve had a chance to win the grand slams in ‘91 or ‘92 on this grass, but no chance in hell on the grass of yesteryear.
    GOAT- we haven’t seen it yet! Roger is the easiest on the eyes game wise. He has all the shots and plays the beautiful attacking tennis that looks so pure! If I could play tennis and look like anyone it would be him. But mentally I think he is weak for a GOAT. He wouldn’t make my top 10 best competitors. He can’t stick to a game plan and he loses a lot of big matches. Federer fans get their hearts broken all the time!
    Rafa is amazing and his 13 French Open titles I would be willing to bet a good bit of money that that record lasts long long long after I’m gone! No goat though!
    Novak- amazing how the crowd is against him in every big match and he finds a way. His mental toughness is incredible! He stays present point after point and has a belief in himself that mentally is amazing. In this generation Rafa is right there and Roger is no where close. I respect his game and his talent. The lockdown mode is the best baseline tennis I’ve ever seen. But is that the GOAT?
    Pete- he would have served out that 2019 Wimbledon final vs Novak at 40-15. Mentally he was a winner!
    Borg- mentally wound a little too tight I guess and just snapped. How many slams would he have won if he kept it together mentally?
    Laver- thank goodness he couldn’t win as many as he could’ve if he’d have been able to play in his prime. Novak would be chasing 34 or something like that.

ALL THE GREATS THAT MADE TENNIS WHAT IT IS TODAY. These 3 should feel fortunate to make lots of money and enjoy this conversation. But if it is about slams and weeks at number 1 I imagine Novak’s record will be broken in the next 20 years.

Rafas 13 will probably be like DiMaggios 56 game hitting streak. It’s an amazing record that will likely be the only one left from these three amazing players. One man will dominate our sport alone in the coming years. But will he be the GOAT, or will he have played in a soft generation? Who knows and who cares?!

if I had to have someone play a match for my life savings on a random draw of surface. At this point i would take Novak first and Sampras 2nd

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4205 users online. 6 members and 4199 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X