No announcement yet.

2021 U. S. Open Tennis Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naomi Osaka looked over at her agent and said she wanted to tell the world what the two of them had discussed privately after her U.S. Open title defense ended with a racket-tossing, composure-missing, lead-evaporating defeat in the third round.

Mental issues. But I could have told you that with that "Black Lives Matter" spectacle she put on a couple of years ago. She makes a terrific spokesperson for those of that ilk.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      https://www.foxnews.com/sports/naomi...reak-fernandez

Mental issues. But I could have told you that with that "Black Lives Matter" spectacle she put on a couple of years ago. She makes a terrific spokesperson for those of that ilk.
      No doubt. She has been passed the baton. It is in good hands. By way of contrast, the non woke(my guess) Stef handled his brutal loss press conference like the professional he is, and he was not handled with kid gloves by the questioners.

Comment

Opelka vs Bash an interesting match. I like Opelka in this matchup as Bash goes for so much on all shots, one service game for him where he makes too many errors that is probably pretty much the set. Opelka the one American right now to me with a realistic hope of winning a Major.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          https://inews.co.uk/sport/tennis/car...academy-644703

Very interesting article on Alcaraz, and thoughts on him from JCF.
          He still reminds me of Sampras in his explosiveness. Federer is smoother. Don’t get me wrong in his prime he was plenty fast. But Sampras was more flexible and could just unload on shots.

Alcaraz is so explosive. I mean he was out hitting a player older bigger and stronger than him.

The past doesn’t repeat itself. But boy does it rhyme.

Comment

https://inews.co.uk/sport/tennis/car...academy-644703

Very interesting article on Alcaraz, and thoughts on him from JCF.
            Great article. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Alacraz was something else against Tistsipas. Hitting incredibly hard off both wings and seemingly lacking any fear. He's tough mentally and I simply cannot believe his improvement since I last saw him play. I find his serve decidedly dodgy however...just a dodgy as Tsitsipas's in fact...if not more so. But he doesn't rely on his serve like Tsitsipas does. It's hard to know who to liken Alcaraz to. I wouldn't liken him to Roger or Rafa...and he clubs the ball harder than Novak.

When you watch Alcaraz you can see where the game is headed...even more power. Sadly there is very little substitute for power. Slicing and dicing can have great effect but it is a more intricate and difficult game-style to carry out compared to the 'bludgeon', and a player has to be at the high end of the continuum (like Roger and Evans) in terms of natural talent to be able to do it well enough. Not sure who of you watched the Evans v Popyrin match but the two low volleys Evans pulled off in the final set tiebreaker were positively old school and something no one else on the tour can do...no one, save Roger of course. It's worth watching that tiebreak on replay if you can find it. Popyrin was hanging in by virtue of his first serve in the final set, but his serve fell away in the tiebreak and Evans gobbled him up like a dog's biscuit.
              Stotty

Comment

JB defense on full display in winning 1st set 6-2 vs Karatsev. His defense is as good as Novak and Medvedev to me, not the rest of his game, but his defense is top shelf.
                Last edited by stroke; 09-04-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

JB defense on full display in winning 1st set 6-2 vs Karatsev. His defense is as good as Novak and Medvedev to me, not the rest of his game, but his defense is top shelf.
                  Tend to agree...though Karatsev has been disappointing much of the time since his stella performance at the 2021 Aussie Open run. The few matches I have seen of his since then have been error strewn and this match v JB is following a similar pattern.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Tend to agree...though Karatsev has been disappointing much of the time since his stella performance at the 2021 Aussie Open run. The few matches I have seen of his since then have been error strewn and this match v JB is following a similar pattern.
                    No doubt. Karatsev and Bash so similar to me. Such big games with effortless power, but errors are a big issue. Sinner to me is a 2.0 version of those 2 guys.

Comment

Super interesting match. Karatsev definitely engaged and kind of rocked JB in the 2nd set. This is very interesting match. Both players engaged.

Comment

No doubt. Karatsev and Bash so similar to me. Such big games with effortless power, but errors are a big issue. Sinner to me is a 2.0 version of those 2 guys.
                        Sinner sees off Monfils in five. Not easy to close-out against a dangerous player like Monfils who is, frankly, past caring it would seem.
                        Stotty

Comment

It looks like Karatsev had broken down JB. No easy ask. Karatsev is an absolute physical stud.

Comment

JB pulls a bit of a Novak rope a dope for the win. Unbelievable.

Comment

Tennis Magazine: Novak Djokovic is searching for a Grand Slam, and a little love, at the US Open.

Comment

Botic Van de Zandschulp is looking very very good vs Schwartzman, and he looks very comfortable out there playing at the high level he is. His 2 handed backhand is rock solid, he never runs around to hit a forehand. His slice backhand is top notch also. The depth in men's tennis is unbelievable. Botic(a qualifier)is #117 in the world.
                                Last edited by stroke; 09-05-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8262 users online. 9 members and 8253 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X