2021 U. S. Open Tennis Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York...Act I

Novak Djokovic is now 4-0 against Matteo Berrettini. The win yesterday the most convincing to date of the four considering the venue. A more one-sided beat down than his match with him at Wimbledon in the finals. Very convincing stuff. Novak's 6-3 head to head against Alexander "Second Serve" Zverev is even more lop sided if you take into consideration that he is 5-1 in the last six encounters with the only blemish at the "exhibition" Olympics where Novak clearly did not want to be there. Perhaps a bit of the old "limp leg" routine that might give "Second Serve" a bit of a false hope. Speaking of mental states. Finally, Novak is 5-3 against "Mr. Pencil" Daniil Medvedev. In the two most notable encounters in their rivalry at the Australian Open Novak won convincingly. The three Medvedev wins were arguably throwaways for Djokovic. Novak is in great position after his quarterfinal win.

Act I is over for the 2021 U. S. Open. The preliminaries are done. Now for Acts II and III. The semifinals and the finals. Novak is obviously the flawed protagonist in that his popularity is rather lacklustre. Not that he cares a twit. He doesn't. His eyes are on the bottom line...which in this case is the trophy.

"Second Serve" Zverev played a rather shaky move in the first set tie-break against Harris. Harris was serving for the set and Zverev delayed his service points for a solid two or three minutes which must have seemed like an eternity to Harris. It was a real shit move and Harris was beside himself when he eventually blew the tie-break that he seemed poised to win. More "Big Time Wrestling" shenanigans in the Tennis World. It has been reduced in stature over the years and this years event is evidence. No matter how you try to dress this one up...you can not make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      2021 U. S. Open Championships...New York, New York...Act I

Novak Djokovic is now 4-0 against Matteo Berrettini. The win yesterday the most convincing to date of the four considering the venue. A more one-sided beat down than his match with him at Wimbledon in the finals. Very convincing stuff. Novak's 6-3 head to head against Alexander "Second Serve" Zverev is even more lop sided if you take into consideration that he is 5-1 in the last six encounters with the only blemish at the "exhibition" Olympics where Novak clearly did not want to be there. Perhaps a bit of the old "limp leg" routine that might give "Second Serve" a bit of a false hope. Speaking of mental states. Finally, Novak is 5-3 against "Mr. Pencil" Daniil Medvedev. In the two most notable encounters in their rivalry at the Australian Open Novak won convincingly. The three Medvedev wins were arguably throwaways for Djokovic. Novak is in great position after his quarterfinal win.

Act I is over for the 2021 U. S. Open. The preliminaries are done. Now for Acts II and III. The semifinals and the finals. Novak is obviously the flawed protagonist in that his popularity is rather lacklustre. Not that he cares a twit. He doesn't. His eyes are on the bottom line...which in this case is the trophy.

"Second Serve" Zverev played a rather shaky move in the first set tie-break against Harris. Harris was serving for the set and Zverev delayed his service points for a solid two or three minutes which must have seemed like an eternity to Harris. It was a real shit move and Harris was beside himself when he eventually blew the tie-break that he seemed poised to win. More "Big Time Wrestling" shenanigans in the Tennis World. It has been reduced in stature over the years and this years event is evidence. No matter how you try to dress this one up...you can not make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.
      Even though Novak seems to clearly be in control on paper...this is an evolving situation. Or devolving...depending on your perspective. Novak has proved himself in the 20 Grand Slam titles he has won...not to mention his runner-up finishes. Are any of the other three ready to step up to take down the reigning "King of the Court"?
      don_budge

Comment

• The oddsmakers have come in heavily in favour of Novak despite Zverez's fine form. The oddsmakers aren't stupid and no doubt factor a player's balls into their calculations.
        Stotty

Comment

• For Zverev to do it he will have to have a high first serve percentage overall but a really high percentage in the handful of critical points and games. I’ve seen the second serve and I don’t believe in it. He will juice it up and go for it, rev it up to 108, awkwardly try to put pure topspin for the backhand jam serve. If he’s hitting too many second serves in the big moments this might not be much of a fight. Novak executes a game plan better than anyone I’ve ever seen and you know he will have one for Zverev.
          I have a feeling Zverev will be expecting a backhand to backhand fight like Medvedev thought he would get in Australia. I feel Novak will try to break his forehand down early and will execute an assault on that wing. If it breaks then Zverevs goes the spirit and confidence…it could get ugly really quickly.
          Personally I believe Medvedev has the best chance of stropping Novak’s quest. He’s been in the big match vs Novak now twice. He’s been right there with Nadal on Ashe. If you’re gonna beat Novak this weekend you’re gonna have to go through hell to do it and you can’t pay yourself on the back for winning the first set. You can’t just bash huge forehands and beat him when he goes into lockdown mode. It’s scary because as a coach you hate to say this but I think you have to play his game and do it better. He’s had some lulls in previous matches so you gotta capitalize on that and at the end of the day you’ll have to go toe to toe against that lockdown mode and do it better. It’ll help if you can get a missed return or short return twice a service game! But Sampras isn’t playing this year!

Comment

• Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
            As I watch this run by Djokovic, I just keep thinking about the fact that Federer had match point on him just 2 years ago. There are so many obvious signs that Federer was brilliant. I hate to use the past tense here. But the fact that he could stay toe to toe with Djokovic at 38 is unbelievable.

More globally, only a few players are able impose their will in a match.

I almost want to go back and watch that match to see how he did it.
            Wimbledon is a different beast right? Even though the courts are not the old grass it is different than the hard courts this weekend. In 3 tiebreakers of the epic Wimbledon final I think I remember Roger only coming to the net 2 or 3 times. Novak implemented his lockdown mode and took the tiebreakers easily. If you’re gonna take it to Novak and impose your game on him…executing and looking to move forward is the key and especially in the big moments. That’s where Roger went wrong mentally… he played safer in the breakers right into Novak’s hands. You need to move forward to impose your will or you’ll have to beat him at his own game lockdown style. Either way mentally you’re going to have to stick with your overall game plan on the big points.

Comment

• Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
              Wimbledon is a different beast right? Even though the courts are not the old grass it is different than the hard courts this weekend. In 3 tiebreakers of the epic Wimbledon final I think I remember Roger only coming to the net 2 or 3 times. Novak implemented his lockdown mode and took the tiebreakers easily. If you’re gonna take it to Novak and impose your game on him…executing and looking to move forward is the key and especially in the big moments. That’s where Roger went wrong mentally… he played safer in the breakers right into Novak’s hands. You need to move forward to impose your will or you’ll have to beat him at his own game lockdown style. Either way mentally you’re going to have to stick with your overall game plan on the big points.
              Almost more impressive to me was how Novak, who was definitely in lockdown mode, was completely unfazed by the unprecedented crowd support for his opponent Fed. I just don't think Fed or anyone other than Novak could deal with that massive lack of crowd support like Novak. Novak to me is without a doubt the greatest singles player of all time. That being said, in my dreams, I would prefer to play tennis like Roger.
              Last edited by stroke; 09-10-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Novak Djokovic Grand Slam Final Record...

This is a tremendous amount of experience...20-10 win/loss in Grand Slam Finals.

https://www.tennis-x.com/grand-slam-...k-djokovic.php
                don_budge

Comment

• From ATP site today, Zverev winning Olympics vs Novak, 17 point differential at the net.

Net Points
                  • Sasha = won 72% (26/36)
                  • Novak = won 43% (9/21)

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                    From ATP site today, Zverev winning Olympics vs Novak, 17 point differential at the net.

Net Points
                    • Sasha = won 72% (26/36)
                    • Novak = won 43% (9/21)
                    Super interesting. I am really looking forward to this match tonight. Novak going for history vs a red hot Alex.

Comment

• Medvedev wins 1st set doing what he does. I would love to see a 40 yard dash Medvedev and FAA. Not sure who would win. Neither would beat Tyreek Hill, but those 2 are fast.

Comment

• I join the game with FAA up 4-2 in the second. Navratilova is commentating. Already I am tempted to switch the sound off.
                        Stotty

Comment

• FAA drops his serve serving for the set...shame. Medvedev stands acres back behind the baseline and just rolls returns back in play...dull stuff but hard to combat unless you have a bazooka of a delivery or the ability to slip in wide serves, a la Sampras.
                          Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            I join the game with FAA up 4-2 in the second. Navratilova is commentating. Already I am tempted to switch the sound off.
                            Luckily on ESPN, we have Brad Gilbert and Darren Cahill. It could be worse for you, see Mary Carillo.
                            Last edited by stroke; 09-10-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• FAA literally folds up and gifts the second set to Medvedev....disappointing to say the least.
                              Stotty

Comment

• The sound down it is...can't stand the pitched voice of Navratilova any longer.

FAA is a gonna here unless he can disrupt Medvedev with angles and well-selected drop shots. Medvedev hates the forecourt. Shame Roger can't give FAA a brief masterclass in how to disrupt Medvedev. Something he did comprehensively at least a few times if my memory serves me correct.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5100 users online. 1 members and 5099 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X