No announcement yet.

2021 U. S. Open Tennis Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed the Brooksby v Novak match...too late to watch over this side of the pond, shame. The first couple of sets seemed to well worth watching from the press reports I have read.

Medvedev has had an easy time of it so far but at least his semi should be a match he has to work for. Medvedev is just so terribly hard to break down on a hard court once he's go the bit between his teeth. It is tough to see him not making the final. Novak on the other hand has a lot to deal with from hereon in. Berritini, though terribly disappointing in the Wimbledon final, is no pushover by any stretch.The next likely opponent would be Zverez, who is the player in the best form right now. If Novak got by those two he would likely have to play Medvedev. So, much to do if he is to make history like no other player before him.

I am kind of hoping Novak will do it. I would love to witness a player in my lifetime achieve a calendar slam
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      I missed the Brooksby v Novak match...too late to watch over this side of the pond, shame. The first couple of sets seemed to well worth watching from the press reports I have read.

Medvedev has had an easy time of it so far but at least his semi should be a match he has to work for. Medvedev is just so terribly hard to break down on a hard court once he's go the bit between his teeth. It is tough to see him not making the final. Novak on the other hand has a lot to deal with from hereon in. Berritini, though terribly disappointing in the Wimbledon final, is no pushover by any stretch.The next likely opponent would be Zverez, who is the player in the best form right now. If Novak got by those two he would likely have to play Medvedev. So, much to do if he is to make history like no other player before him.

I am kind of hoping Novak will do it. I would love to witness a player in my lifetime achieve a calendar slam
      Yes, it is a very tough road for Novak to travel to make history ? 2, as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post

Let’s see now that we’re going into the business end of the tournament! I’m not convinced that second serve is rock solid just yet.
        I feel that way also. Alex does not have a classic kick 2nd serve, but Novak really does not either to me. Certainly Matteo has it, and Harris. I really like his motion.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          JB wins 1st set 6-1. He made 5 winners and oh yes, 1 unforced error.
          And then Novak woke up. He seems to always have these wobbles. They don't last long and he breaks out of them in style.

The pressure must be mounting. It will be something like Budge, Laver and Djokovic. Even if you don't like him, it will be hard to not hold this moment in tennis history forever.

Now the hard part. Getting through all the hungry players that want to take the throne from him.

The more I think about it. The more I am going to chose this year as the year of Zverev.

We had 2009, 2014 and now 2021.

I made a prediction but I would not bet a lot of money on it. This year's US Open is turning out to be unpredictable.

Comment

Jimmy Arias is a top tier commentator to me. He really seems to know his stuff and presents his knowledge in a very humble likeable way.

Comment

I feel that way also. Alex does not have a classic kick 2nd serve, but Novak really does not either to me. Certainly Matteo has it, and Harris. I really like his motion.
              One year ago right about now he was rolling in 64mph serves against a cramping opponent in the final. I could see one double fault at a big moment derailing his confidence. Novak already puts immense second serve pressure on the best servers in the world, so if you have any demons he can force them to come out. Stef felt it in the French Open final as we all witnessed. I am not wanting the demons to come out for Zverev, but in my opinion the second serve still is an area players like Novak and Medvedev will take advantage of in the critical moments.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post

One year ago right about now he was rolling in 64mph serves against a cramping opponent in the final. I could see one double fault at a big moment derailing his confidence. Novak already puts immense second serve pressure on the best servers in the world, so if you have any demons he can force them to come out. Stef felt it in the French Open final as we all witnessed. I am not wanting the demons to come out for Zverev, but in my opinion the second serve still is an area players like Novak and Medvedev will take advantage of in the critical moments.
                It is fascinating as Zverev, who has so much game from the back court and such a massive 1st serve, tries to work through his 2nd serve woes. He has made massive progress to my eye, but we will see.

Comment

It is fascinating as Zverev, who has so much game from the back court and such a massive 1st serve, tries to work through his 2nd serve woes. He has made massive progress to my eye, but we will see.
                  Progress continues. Still not sure if his displays of anger are good or bad. He seems motivated and is playing better. He made it through tough losses and wins. Zverev vs. Djokovic will be epic. I suspect it will go five sets.

Comment

The last point of the match summed it up well. Djokovic hits a body serve on the deuce side. Berretini is unable to get out of the way and it jams him. The ball lands in the net.

Djokovic used a variation of the Delpo formula here. Actually, it is his basic formula. Few can go toe to toe with him on the backhand. He is able to pin the opponent in the corner. This forces them to overhit on the forehand.

Game, set, match. Forehands and serves gets you close to the top. A good defensive backhand gets you even closer.

The backhand down the line puts the Ferrari in the driveway. Brad Gilbert had it right and Berretini never was able to hit the backhand down the line effectively enough. Running around the backhand only delayed the pain. Eventually, Djokovic could get it back to the backhand whenever he wanted to.

Game, set, match.

Comment

• As I watch this run by Djokovic, I just keep thinking about the fact that Federer had match point on him just 2 years ago. There are so many obvious signs that Federer was brilliant. I hate to use the past tense here. But the fact that he could stay toe to toe with Djokovic at 38 is unbelievable.

More globally, only a few players are able impose their will in a match.

I almost want to go back and watch that match to see how he did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                        The last point of the match summed it up well. Djokovic hits a body serve on the deuce side. Berretini is unable to get out of the way and it jams him. The ball lands in the net.

Djokovic used a variation of the Delpo formula here. Actually, it is his basic formula. Few can go toe to toe with him on the backhand. He is able to pin the opponent in the corner. This forces them to overhit on the forehand.

Game, set, match. Forehands and serves gets you close to the top. A good defensive backhand gets you even closer.

The backhand down the line puts the Ferrari in the driveway. Brad Gilbert had it right and Berretini never was able to hit the backhand down the line effectively enough. Running around the backhand only delayed the pain. Eventually, Djokovic could get it back to the backhand whenever he wanted to.

Game, set, match.
                        I am such not a fan of running regularly running around the backhand to hit forehands.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post

I am such not a fan of running regularly running around the backhand to hit forehands.
                          Me neither...
                          Stotty

Comment

• Oddsmakers have Novak at -240, a solid favorite vs Alex. That is about 70% implied probability of winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
                              Oddsmakers have Novak at -240, a solid favorite vs Alex. That is about 70% implied probability of winning.
                              It took me a while to figure it out. I kept asking myself who this Alex guy was.

30% chance is probably way higher than anyone else he has played.

The chances of Novak losing just went up 500%.

Comment

• If Novak does get to finals, will probably be about the same favorite vs Medvedev, if Medvedev defeats FAA.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8277 users online. 10 members and 8267 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X