No announcement yet.

2021 U. S. Open Tennis Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diego really digging in. He is quite the competitor as we all know. Super crowd atmosphere for this match.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Tennis Magazine: Novak Djokovic is searching for a Grand Slam, and a little love, at the US Open.
      https://www.tennis.com/news/articles...at-the-us-open
      I haven't seen Novak so far this tournament. I wouldn't watch Novak v Nishikori unless Novak was two sets and 4-1 down...and even then I would expect him to win. Nishikori usually goes on court with a white flag against Novak.

I will try to watch Novak v JB because it will be interesting to see how Novak handles him. I wonder if JB might just hit down the middle like Giles Simon once did against Novak. It worked a treat other than Giles couldn't quite pull off the win. I hope JB can rise to the occasion.
      Stotty

Comment

I would give the match of the day to Alex vs Sinner, but certainly a couple of Americans in the conversation surprisingly late in this tournament, certainly the case with JB, maybe not as much with Riley. Oddsmakers have Riley as a very slight favorite over the surging Lloyd Harris. Novak obviously heavy favorite over JB, but I can certainly see Novak being a bit perturbed out there(if the match is tight) as no doubt the raucous US Open crowd will be behind JB. Alex no doubt favored, but Sinner, with his effortless power, is a very interesting matchup here.

Comment

Carlos Alcaraz becomes youngest male grand slam quarter-finalist in 31 years, not bad. Botic van de Zandschulp, a qualifier, has made to the last eight...not bad either.

Alcaraz now play FAA in a battle of the youngsters.

Sinner versus Zverev, at this stage in the tournament, is a test for both players in my view. If Zverev wobbles, he could lose.

Medvedev has had it easy so far and you can't see him slipping up against the qualifier.

Brooksby v Novak will be intriguing and I just hope Brooksby can bring his best game to the table. I can see him infuriating Novak if he does.

Stotty

Comment

Carlos is tireless mentally and physically. And he has a top tier model type 3 forehand, great backhand, and superb movement. And a great coach. He does tend to me to give up too much court, playing in general too far behind the baseline, unlike his favorite model, Federer. FO look out.

Comment

Mary Carillo is the worst tennis announcer I have ever heard.

Comment

Alex pretty much routinely wins the 1st set. He is serving so well, right now among the best servers in tennis. Quite the improvement from his old 2nd serve woes days.

Comment

All to say about that is the best player won. Alex too good. He is playing the best tennis out there right now.

Comment

Lloyd up 2 sets to 1 with a break in the 4th. He actually has more aces than Riley. Lloyd has one of those quick motion hit the toss at the apex motions, and it is rock solid.

Comment

Lloyd certainly serves well. It's a lovely motion. I think the contact is just the below the apex although some commentators say he hits the ball on the way up...tough to say without seeing it slowed down. I think he just played the game of his life against Riley. Lloyd seems a good bloke and it would be great to see him do well.

Zverev is definitely the player in the best form and is going to take some beating. I didn't think Sinner would win today but thought he might take a set.

Alcaraz is the player of the tournament so far for me. You get the impression that the guard is close to changing. Novak needs to make his mark right here and right now because some of the younger players are looking like a real threat....at last.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                        Lloyd certainly serves well. It's a lovely motion. I think the contact is just the below the apex although some commentators say he hits the ball on the way up...tough to say without seeing it slowed down. I think he just played the game of his life against Riley. Lloyd seems a good bloke and it would be great to see him do well.

Zverev is definitely the player in the best form and is going to take some beating. I didn't think Sinner would win today but thought he might take a set.

Alcaraz is the player of the tournament so far for me. You get the impression that the guard is close to changing. Novak needs to make his mark right here and right now because some of the younger players are looking like a real threat....at last.
                        Novak has a year at least to win 1 more I would say. Nadal has the 2022 FO only. Fed has what appears no avenue. But no doubt, the 3 reign of terror is dunzo. Novak has to be the strong favorite to end up with the most Majors. Master's 1000's, which most do not factor in, well Novak and Nadal's accomplishments will stand forever maybe.

As far as the Harris' serve, I too think he hits it just barely below the apex of the toss, very similar to Nick in that regard, though Lloyd to my eye does not have the scary quick motion of Nick.
                        Last edited by stroke; 09-06-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

JB wins 1st set 6-1. He made 5 winners and oh yes, 1 unforced error.
                          Last edited by stroke; 09-06-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

What an amazing US Open thus far. Had an amazing time there for a few days with two players. The matches, the story lines. It's the morning after and I think Jenson Brooksby is still running.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA, PTR
                            Delray Beach
                            SETS Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Totally agree! The grains of sand are starting to pile up. It's just a matter of time before the hill tumbles.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                                Alex pretty much routinely wins the 1st set. He is serving so well, right now among the best servers in tennis. Quite the improvement from his old 2nd serve woes days.
                                Let’s see now that we’re going into the business end of the tournament! I’m not convinced that second serve is rock solid just yet.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7773 users online. 3 members and 7770 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X