No announcement yet.

Australian Open 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anybody watch - Alcaraz v Berrettini? I haven't yet but the score looks like that of a ferocious match. Carlos comes back from 2 sets down only to lose 10-5 in the fifth set tiebreak.

Odd stuff here. During the first 2 sets that Alcaraz lost, he won fewer points on his first serve than his second -- 44% won on 1st vs 62% on his second (7/8 pts). And it's not like Matteo is a super returner that blasts back first serves.Meanwhile, Berrettini was what you'd expect for a big banger: 79% won behind his first and only 33% on the second.

By matches' end, Carlos had won 62% behind his first vs 61% on this second.

I admit I've only been able to catch snatches of Alcaraz's matches, albeit across 4 events. But I'm perplexed by his serve. Maxxes at 135 mph, but averages around 115 mph and doesn't win any more points than he does on his second. I can guess that he wins a lot of points on his second because of his great groundies. But the first serve won percent looks like he's getting zero free points despite being able to do 135 mph.

Now, we have seen that Alcaraz goes big and perhaps needs to play points more. Here, 51 winners for him vs 54 UFEs, while Berrettini, who you'd expect that kind of stat line from, was 39 winners vs 48 UFEs.

Total points dead event at 159 each.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Matteo Berrettini Slam record since 2021

Against anyone not Djokovic 19-0
      Against Djokovic 0-3

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
        Did anybody watch - Alcaraz v Berrettini? I haven't yet but the score looks like that of a ferocious match. Carlos comes back from 2 sets down only to lose 10-5 in the fifth set tiebreak.

Odd stuff here. During the first 2 sets that Alcaraz lost, he won fewer points on his first serve than his second -- 44% won on 1st vs 62% on his second (7/8 pts). And it's not like Matteo is a super returner that blasts back first serves.Meanwhile, Berrettini was what you'd expect for a big banger: 79% won behind his first and only 33% on the second.

By matches' end, Carlos had won 62% behind his first vs 61% on this second.

I admit I've only been able to catch snatches of Alcaraz's matches, albeit across 4 events. But I'm perplexed by his serve. Maxxes at 135 mph, but averages around 115 mph and doesn't win any more points than he does on his second. I can guess that he wins a lot of points on his second because of his great groundies. But the first serve won percent looks like he's getting zero free points despite being able to do 135 mph.

Now, we have seen that Alcaraz goes big and perhaps needs to play points more. Here, 51 winners for him vs 54 UFEs, while Berrettini, who you'd expect that kind of stat line from, was 39 winners vs 48 UFEs.

Total points dead event at 159 each.
        I missed the match. It's tricky scheduling for me, being in the UK, as I am always working first thing in the morning for four or five straight hours by which time I have missed most of the tennis.

But your stats are really interesting. It shows Alcaraz maybe isn't valuing the merits of a good first serve and instead looking to win by other means. His serve is the one part of his game I don't like in an otherwise sensational repertoire. I have only seen him play two full matches but in each of those matches he often bypassed constructing points and instead blitzed his way through. His shot selection seemed questionable at times. I am not sure he is the brightest player on the tour but I haven't seen enough of him to be sure of that.

It's shame he was knocked out. He's such and exciting player. I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops over the next few years.

Sinner plays matches well and is a bright kid. He gives little away and knows how to turn the screw and keep things really tight when it matters most.

Thanks again for the great stats.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

No doubt Denis has the game. I think FAA may be an even better sleeper. Deep sleeper, Fritz.
          I have tried really hard to like FAA. I am not sure why but he seems a bit boring to me. Nothing really stands out. He is very solid and very smooth. Clearly, very talented and a good player. I really want him to do well.

But I think he doesn't quite have that chip on his shoulder like Denis. Denis has weapons and aggressiveness in spades. He just needs to learn to play solid and reign it in at times.

Fritz is another super tall guy who could do some damage. But not sure it will be enough to really make a dent.

Next up for Shapo is Zverev. That is a match that I might stay up for.

Djokowhat? What was that guys name?

Should be a really interesting second week!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Djokowhat? What was that guys name?

Should be a really interesting second week!
            Yes, and remember his lawyers said in the court hearing and their filing that barring Djokovic would Australia "at risk of losing the prestigious 'Slam event". That didn't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I missed the match. It's tricky scheduling for me, being in the UK, as I am always working first thing in the morning for four or five straight hours by which time I have missed most of the tennis.

But your stats are really interesting. It shows Alcaraz maybe isn't valuing the merits of a good first serve and instead looking to win by other means. His serve is the one part of his game I don't like in an otherwise sensational repertoire. I have only seen him play two full matches but in each of those matches he often bypassed constructing points and instead blitzed his way through. His shot selection seemed questionable at times. I am not sure he is the brightest player on the tour but I haven't seen enough of him to be sure of that.

It's shame he was knocked out. He's such and exciting player. I am really looking forward to seeing how he develops over the next few years.

Sinner plays matches well and is a bright kid. He gives little away and knows how to turn the screw and keep things really tight when it matters most.

Thanks again for the great stats.
              Here are two I pulled from Alcaraz-Berrettini. Again, I keep checking the InfoSys stats across events and different surfaces to see if the data that in our articles on TPN holds up.

So, far everything is consistent. Now, I'd like a different source than InfoSys to cross check, but the high numbers keep coming, from multiple young players, at a consistent overall level, on different surfaces at different tournaments.

Here are two samples.

First we have Alcaraz with a 129 MPH forehand at 3,782 MPH. { Opponents should wear protective equipment._

filedata/fetch?id=96428&d=1642809258&type=thumb

Matteo also hitting big if not quite at the level we saw at Roland Garros, but I'd take one 123 MPH forehand. Looks blurry to me. And I can't figure out how to get rid of the duplicated file beneath it. Oh, well. Sorry.

filedata/fetch?id=96433&d=1642809057&type=thumb

#
              Attached Files
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.
              Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-21-2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Unbelievable numbers on Alcaraz fh.

4th round best matches Zverev vs Shapovalov and Fritz vs Tsitsipas. If these 2 dark horses are going to stay in the tournament, obviously they will really have to earn it here.

Comment

Unbelievable numbers on Alcaraz fh.

4th round best matches Zverev vs Shapovalov and Fritz vs Tsitsipas. If these 2 dark horses are going to stay in the tournament, obviously they will really have to earn it here.
                  Agreed. Love to see Shapo beak through. Kind of like to see Tsitsipas do well here but I fear between surgery in December, and new stringing his confidence won't be high.

I could be underestimating him, though.

Comment

Agreed. Love to see Shapo beak through. Kind of like to see Tsitsipas do well here but I fear between surgery in December, and new stringing his confidence won't be high.

Oddsmakers have Tsitsipas as a solid favorite and Zverev as an overwhelming favorite. We will see. Fritz and Denis have a lot of game, but this is difference maker time for both.

Comment

Oddsmakers have Tsitsipas as a solid favorite and Zverev as an overwhelming favorite. We will see. Fritz and Denis have a lot of game, but this is difference maker time for both.
                      Hey, I just watched my 49ers win by blocking two kicks in one game in the snow ❄️ . If you show up you've got a puncher's chance.

Comment

Hey, I just watched my 49ers win by blocking two kicks in one game in the snow ❄️ . If you show up you've got a puncher's chance.
                        So much for the odds. Shapo wins several exchanges in the heat. Little did we know that summer and winter would give us two surprises in Sports on the same day.

Comment

Well Mannarino played a great first set against Nadal before becoming hampered by an injury. He has an unusually diddy backswing off both wings and it's quite fascinating to watch him work an opponent around.
                          Stotty

Comment

Yes, El Shapo is a great shot-maker and really entertaining to watch. He has not made much headway in terms of results against the big 3 but the one win he does have against them was at least against Nadal - a tight three setter on a hard court.

Fingers crossed he might come up with the goods this time. The game needs shotmakers.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                              Well Mannarino played a great first set against Nadal before becoming hampered by an injury. He has an unusually diddy backswing off both wings and it's quite fascinating to watch him work an opponent around.
                              I have long been a fan of Mannarino's game. Minimalist strokes off both sides, and great hands. A bit like Tomic, with a much better competitive spirit. Not as talented to me as Tomic, but similar games.

Comment

Nadal no doubt has lost a step. Denis has a legitimate shot to me. Really looking forward to seeing how Fritz competes vs Tsitsipas.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2458 users online. 8 members and 2450 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X