No announcement yet.

French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today in Strasbourg, Elena Svitolina (married to La Monf) made her first final since returning from maternity leave. "Svitolina, a champion in Strasbourg three years ago, rallied from 6-4, 4-1 down to beat France's Clara Burel 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 in 2 hours and 20 minutes to set up a meeting Saturday with Anna Blinkova."

At Roland Garros, Elena is drawn to meet last year's semifinalist Martina Trevisan in the first round.​ Sounds pretty good as far as first round matches go.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Today's semi's, Geneve and Lyon, 3 of the 4 matches were outstanding. Nicholas Jarry really played well taking out Zverev, Dimitrov in 3 over Fritz, and Fils in 3 over Nakashima. The 4th match was not good, Cerundolo, who suddenly looks like a FO dark horse, really put a beatdown on Cam Norrie.
      I guess that Cerundolo forehand is as good as you said it was <g>

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

I guess that Cerundolo forehand is as good as you said it was <g>
        It is pretty damn good

Comment

ATP: Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev, Novak Djokovic and Stefanos Tsitsipas enter Roland Garros with a chance to leave the clay-court major as the No. 1 player

FIrst 3 control their own destiny, others need help. Scenarios here:
          Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev, Novak Djokovic and Stefanos Tsitsipas enter Roland Garros with a chance to leave the clay-court major as the No. 1 player in the Pepperstone ATP Rankings.

Comment

Today in Strasbourg, Elena Svitolina (married to La Monf) made her first final since returning from maternity leave. "Svitolina, a champion in Strasbourg three years ago, rallied from 6-4, 4-1 down to beat France's Clara Burel 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 in 2 hours and 20 minutes to set up a meeting Saturday with Anna Blinkova."

At Roland Garros, Elena is drawn to meet last year's semifinalist Martina Trevisan in the first round.​ Sounds pretty good as far as first round matches go.
            That's awesome - thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know she was back on tour. I'll be watching that match for sure tomorrow. She might be inspired by Kalinina's run in Rome.

Comment

Dan Evans in vintage prickly pugnacious form in very tough 1st rounder vs Kokkanakis. A lot of very tough 1st round matchups.

Comment

John Isner lost in 5 sets to Borges in a -- wait for it -- a 5th set tiebreak: Borges 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(3) 6-4,, 7-6(9).

At the risk of sounding snarky, Isner long ago got the distinction of losing a 5 set match in every one of the 'Slams. Has he now lapped himself?

Isner lost both tiebreaks. Eventually, the cliche' that big servers have a big advantage in tiebreaks is going to lose its luster.
                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-28-2023, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Hurckaz vs Goffin lived up to its billing, 5 set first rounder, the Pole in 5

More surprising, Khachanov come from 2 sets down to win in 5 vs. ranked 70 Constant Lestienne, a local.

How many times does a lower-ranked player have to beat another player before it is no longer an "upset": Muchova takes out Sakkari at RG for the second straight year. Muchova is tiny bit Kyrgosian -- only plays well against the best with .... I can't remember, something like 18-19 record vs top 10 or 20?

Nice to see Seb Korda through in straight sets. Looked not so good losing quickly in (rome?). I was worried he would become yet another ATP player that never got their career back on track after an injury, here yet another wrist at the Aussie Open.

Comment

Hurckaz vs Goffin lived up to its billing, 5 set first rounder, the Pole in 5

More surprising, Khachanov come from 2 sets down to win in 5 vs. ranked 70 Constant Lestienne, a local.

How many times does a lower-ranked player have to beat another player before it is no longer an "upset": Muchova takes out Sakkari at RG for the second straight year. Muchova is tiny bit Kyrgosian -- only plays well against the best with .... I can't remember, something like 18-19 record vs top 10 or 20?

Nice to see Seb Korda through in straight sets. Looked not so good losing quickly in (rome?). I was worried he would become yet another ATP player that never got their career back on track after an injury, here yet another wrist at the Aussie Open.
                    Seb is the true dark horse at RG to me.

Comment

A lot of good matches today. The crowd is fully engaged early with Benoit Paire vs Norrie. 2 matches of particular note, FAA vs Fognini, and Arthur Fils vs Davidovich Fokina.

Comment

Paire up 2 sets to 1 over Norrie, with a Davis Cup type crowd. Paire has not won an ATP level match this year.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Seb is the true dark horse at RG to me.
                          A big showing here would be an awesome return to the tour. Kid's certainly got the tools & the pedigree.

Comment

Stanimal still has the passion: Survives five sets vs Ramos-Vinolas just to win round 1 and he's fired up.
                            Big celebration with fans.

Speaking of old vets, Elena Svitolina aka Mrs. Monfils, fresh off winning a title in Strasbourg in his first matches back from have a child wins her first round was Trevisan 26th seed.

Djokovic has an easy first round match but perhaps more importantly, no sign of the elbow sleeve. Much ado about nothing?

Diego Schwartzman is going the long route, comes from 2 sets down to win over 32 seed Miralles.

Comment

Wawrinka loses in 5 sets to TK4 and leaves Paris looking very happy.
                              Again, former 'Slam champion loves the game so much playing two, back-to-back 5 set matches in the first rounds is, to him, a happy event to celebrate.
                              Awesome attitude. Hope it is contagious.

Comment

Watched archive stream of Medvedev's 5 set loss last night. To me, this seemed very much like Medvedev's loss to Alcaraz I saw live at Indian Wells.
                                In both matches, the wind bothered Medvedev a lot. Yes, both times the opponent played under the same circumstances, so it's not an excuse, but it can be a cause.
                                Medy has trouble with his forehand and his kick serve in the wind. With all the gyrations and variations in his forehand that is, perhaps, not surprising. But his service motion is so straight-forward that does surprise (me at least). Maybe it's the atmospherics at his altitude, downside of being 6 ft 6 in ? <g>.
                                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-31-2023, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7970 users online. 6 members and 7964 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X