This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regg,

I think that you can lead a horse to water etc but hitting a lot of good forehands yourself would be the best testament to your friends etc.

My experience is that most players who try the outside backswing either get it or at least moderate backswing size. Some say young kids and especially girls can't or shouldn't do it.

I say it is worth a try for any player with an open mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
      "we are tennisplayer, not travelocity"

I get it. I really do. But just throwing it out there with my fingers crossed...Any chance of doing something like this again?

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...inic_2007.html

Maybe Miami? South Beach has a special way of welcoming tennis players.

Indian Wells is also good. Cincinnati, Montreal, Toronto? Just curious.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I would suggest Cincinnati
      So easy to get around, the field is as good as anywhere, most reasonable prices overall. To me, what really sets Cindy apart is the world class tournament in a rural town, Mason, OH. I go to it most every year for a couple of days.

Comment

• Great idea stroke. Cincy always a good event. Good time of year for many as it could be used as a summer vacation.

I'll say it right now, if I ever win the lottery we are having a tennisplayer.net osmosis clinic/get together in Monte Carlo. My treat.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by regg View Post
          Hello guys,

I've really found the forehand information from Brian Gordon to be amazing. It has definitely worked for me. However, I have a hard time getting my friends to buy in. When I show them the videos of the pros they simply say that this style only works for the pros. When they said this I started thinking why am I so confident that this style will work for recreational players. But then I also think to myself, what makes people think this forehand is any more difficult to implement than what we are already doing. Do you guys think that most players should at least try to use this type of forehand? Any recommendations on how I can get people to buy in?

Thanks,
          Regg.
          Sorry to butt in to your thread, John...but this one would be great for the forum.

Regg, this would make a great thread in the forum. Why don't you cut and paste it and start a thread? I have come to have clear cut ways of deciding who to teach the ATP forehand to and who not. I am sure many others would chip in also.
          Stotty

Comment

• Good idea. Stotty you can start it and refer to the issue Regg raises if you would be so kind.

Comment

• Hi John, Just wondering if you could find good footage of Ilie Nastase for the modern legends section? Thanks, Phil

Comment

• Phil,

I wish! Looked high and low. It's a real loss that in the days of high speed film--not video--no one took the time, trouble or expense to really document technique.

Comment

• John,
                  Any thoughts on the Jim Courier forehand with the compact backswing?
                  Thanks, Phil

Comment

• Jimbo!!!

Courier was a beast and was a total gym rat. he holds fitness records with trainer Pat Etcheberry that still stand today against current pros and olympic athletes.

Here's his forehand from the stroke archive

Respect the fundamental technical checkpoints, appreciate the differences and unique personal style.

Last great clay court playing American?

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...enterFront.mov

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

• ATP backswing before we knew there was an ATP backswing.

Comment

• John,
                        I think you are too fast. The topics you have been posting refer to articles not yet released (I assume for August...)

Comment

• That's because some people who shall remain nameless have found out how to hack into the new issue page as it is being built...

That's a complement I guess because it shows a real eagerness for our newest information!

Comment

• John

I just wanted to get clear on something:

The timing of the leg drive on the serve should be around the trophy position, right? Would be this be the same regardless of the type/style of serve?

It looks that way from the archive...it's just that Tsonga seems slightly earlier than Federer and Sampras...but that just may be the angle of the clip. You would think regardless of the type of serve the leg drive should happen at exactly a given point?

I have a lot of girls who don't time the leg drive properly and I just want to be absolutely clear on things before I wade in.

Being as its girls in my neck of the woods who have this problem, who is the ideal female tour player to use as an example?
                            Stotty

Comment

• I don't know that there is an ideal female model--although you should definitely look at Serena. The way Brian Gordon as explained it to me, the leg drive increases the backward or external rotation of the shoulders. Do the racket should not enter the drop or move past the trophy position until the knee bend is full or maximized. Also the player should be leaving the court at about the deepest point in the backswing, when the racket is lowest--that is slightly before what I call the pro drop position with the racket along the right side.
                              This shows it pretty well I think:
                              Last edited by johnyandell; 08-31-2014, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Krunic serving example

Watching qualifier Krunic make it through to a good match vs Vika yesterday, I was fascinated by her service velocity.

This woman weighs 105 lbs soaking wet {which everyone at USO was this week} at 5 ft 4 inches with number-10 Ticonderoga biceps, yet she reached 117 mph, seventh fastest among women at USO.

As best this weekend hacker could tell, there is nothing special about her technique: Nice, simple, fluid, but no huge knee bend, no large rotation, nothing that would generate unusual power.

Q: Should most anyone in reasonable shape with excellent timing be able to top 110 mph?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3093 users online. 3 members and 3090 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X