This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Anything is worth the experiment. I hate youtube as you know and can't go frame by frame to really see. But that type of starting position puts a premium on external shoulder rotation and requires great flexibility. I thought Kyle fixed your drop years ago!
    Always a work in progress .
    For Phil, his serve is really good relative to every other player his age. But Phil wants the serve of a 25 year old on the ATP Tour and will stop at nothing to get it. He is a lifelong learner and ponderer of all things tennis.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

• Comment

• Sounds about right.

Comment

• Have a question for you in the Tony Roche thread I just opened. Thanks
          Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-08-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Responded!

Comment

• John

On a sliced serve, what would you expect the angle of the racket head position on contact? Would it be more around 12 o'clock...or still more towards 11 o'clock like other serves?

Stotty

Comment

• Still more toward 11. It's a matter of small degree. Look at this if you haven't:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members..._and_spin.html

Toss is ussualy the same--path of the racket varies slightly.

Comment

• Thanks. I have a guy who is a good player but his racket head is at 12 o'clock because his toss is a tad too much to the right.. Despite this, his racket face still turns out towards the side fence really nicely. But I figured by getting him more towards 11 o'clock I may be able to get him to serve even better.
                  Stotty

Comment

• Agreed. He undoubtedly has ball speed but little topspin.

Comment

• Yeah probably has velocity but not much topspin.

Comment

• John,

If a server has a high elbow around the trophy position, is power affected? Or is power unaffected so long as a player can compensate by having a deep racket drop?

I have always assumed servers whose elbows are higher may not have as deep racket drops as players with more ideal, lower elbow positions? Is there a correlation between the elbow height at the trophy position and the subsequent depth of the racket drop?
                        Last edited by stotty; 04-22-2018, 02:00 PM.
                        Stotty

Comment

• Great question... to be honest not sure...but remember most of the acceleration is from drop to contact...that's the best answer I have.

Comment

• Hi John, what do you think of finishing the serve swing on the same side?

Comment

• What would be the advantage of that?

Comment

• More topspin. Gonzales, Thiem, Sampras all do it at times. Keeps you from opening up too soon.
                                Last edited by gzhpcu; 05-10-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2631 users online. 9 members and 2622 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X