Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's minimal external rotation. Just model the racket position Tyler shows. The top of the bicep points toward the sky.

Comment

• Thank you

Comment

• Np

Comment

• Thank you for the wonderful work on this site! It made me understand what the ideal forehand looks like. Unfortunately, so far only in theory. When I video myself on the court, I always find that I don't backswing at all. I just take the racket back and forward again. Are there any hints for practicing (also at home)?
          Last edited by y0035215; 01-18-2022, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for the great words. I would look at my articles on the forehand in Teaching Systems. Backswings can be overrated. Why not post a video clip and I could give you better feedback.

Comment

• Forehand Volleys

John

Any evidence that a strong continental grip on the forehand volleys is the most ideal? Seems ideal for low volleys, but is there any evidence that milder grips get more purchase on the ball when it comes to higher volleys? By milder I mean where the heel pad doesn't quite sit plum on bevel 1.

I have seen top players slightly alter their grip in extreme situations. I once saw Nastase switch to a backhand grip on a low, wide forehand volley to angle it back crosscourt.
              Stotty

Comment

• Good question and I don't have a ready answer suspect no though. Why don't you do a little research in the high speed archives and report back?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Good question and I don't have a ready answer suspect no though. Why don't you do a little research in the high speed archives and report back?
                  Tough to see grips with any clarity in the archives. Henman and Roger make a visible grip change after serving to hit a forehand volley. I would never do that. I serve, smash, and hit forehand and backhand volleys all with one grip. I just wonder if a milder grip, generally, gives a slightly flatter volley with more pace. The thing with volley grips is that differences are very fractional between pro players and, to make things more complicated, they all have different size hands and finger length, etc. It's tough to make a call about these things.
                  Stotty

Comment

• Yes this is true! Here is my view of it:

Last edited by johnyandell; 02-11-2022, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Just re-watched the forehand volley fundamentals. Excellent as always. Particularly like the stances section towards the end, and the explicit statement that the left leg (for a righthander) rarely touches down before contact. I often see coaches insisting on right foot, left foot, contact.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        Yes this is true! Here is my view of it:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...rehand_volley/
                        Thanks. Interesting your take on grips. That answers a lot. Thanks, John.

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                        I often see coaches insisting on right foot, left foot, contact.
                        Yes a nightmare when coaches religiously teach a very closed stance with club players...and comical to watch when the coach then hits to both forehand and backhand volley and attempts to sustain a rally. Student ends up getting their feet tied up knots trying to keep up! I see this a lot.

Stotty

Comment

• Well there are some problems with most teaching...

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Tough to see grips with any clarity in the archives. Henman and Roger make a visible grip change after serving to hit a forehand volley. I would never do that. I serve, smash, and hit forehand and backhand volleys all with one grip. I just wonder if a milder grip, generally, gives a slightly flatter volley with more pace. The thing with volley grips is that differences are very fractional between pro players and, to make things more complicated, they all have different size hands and finger length, etc. It's tough to make a call about these things.
                            Forehand volley should be hit with a soft continental grip (at least the vast majority of pros do this- maybe all pros). You do naturally get a flatter volley with more pace when using a soft continental grip (for forehand volley). By the way when I say soft continental I mean between continental and eastern forehand grip. However, the backhand volley should at least have the heel pad of the palm go more on top (bevel 1) compared to a forehand volley grip. I even heard a pro (he practices with Novak from time to time) say that the secret is to have heel pad more on top bevel for backhand volley.

Comment

• Tend to agree with this!

Comment

• Hi John, does TPN have any video of Fognini’s serve? I was watching him again vs Kyrgios and think his serve is a beautiful, minimalist style which produces 110-115mph easily. This would be more than enough for most club players.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7968 users online. 5 members and 7963 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X