Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos Students

I prefer to post student videos on youtube. Maybe I had several hundred videos up but I deleted an old account (now about 200).
    That way they don't get lost and it's environmentally
    sounder than making DVDs or using SD cards. Low cost.

I also send students videos using
    mailbigfile.com (there's also sendbigfiles.com)
    which allows up to 2 GB files.

Both are quick and allows myself and students access anytime.
    You can also make the youtube videos private.

There are other programs and Dartfish users can also upload on Dartfishtv, etc.

In addition, there are other cameras now as even the Samsung Galaxy can film videos at 120 fps. In addition, for most students and learning, 120 fps is better, I feel. I still use 240 fps for research and data-collecting. Now there's also POV cameras that can film HD high speed. In Australia, I filmed scuba diving with a Sony Action Cam at 120 fps 720 (better u/w video quality than GoPro).

Like John, I film lots of high speed video. I have maybe 5,000 videos at the US Open and Australian Open. But mostly 240 fps serves for some research.

For side-by-side (or split screen) analysis, I used or use Dartfish, Objectus, MotionPro, Coach's Eye and Ubersense depending on portability, quality, payments. But my favorite is still an old iMovie HD with plug-ins. Just really reliable and HD quality if I want.

Best,
    Doug
    Last edited by DougEng; 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Article

John at the end of the article you made mention of an upcoming piece about side by side analysis. Is that article posted yet?

Comment

Not yet. We are working on it. But if you go to Tennisplayer TV on the Nav Bar you will get a hint. We are going to make it possible to download select clips directly to your phone or pad and then show how you can use a couple of apps to do side by side.

Comment

Use I phone

Doesn't the iphone slow-mode video do the job? I use it regularly with students.
          Skip all the hassle with camcorders, laptops memory cards etc. Can email the video to student or parents phones.
          The article seems out of date.
          Patrick Mason USPTA , FL

Comment

Originally posted by customsports View Post
            Doesn't the iphone slow-mode video do the job? I use it regularly with students.
            Skip all the hassle with camcorders, laptops memory cards etc. Can email the video to student or parents phones.
            The article seems out of date.
            Patrick Mason USPTA , FL
            I find it does it pretty well. Lots of apps out there: Ubersense, StrokeAnalyze, etc. If iPhone screen is too small for someone, there is always an iPad.

It is all low-cost. The apps are mostly free.

Comment

custom,
              The iphone does do a pretty good job. The problem of course is the lack of a high speed shutter so much of the critical information is hard to see.
              We are working with ubersense on a project that should take the iphone to the level of the other systems. Ubersense shutters when there is enough light.
              Also it will be possible to download Tennisplayer clips to do side by side in their viewer.
              The new iphones will also shoot at 120 and even 240fps. It keeps getting better and easier. Stay tuned.

Comment

Great info John, sounds like the combination of the iPhone 6 (240FPS) with Ubersense (controllable shutter light permitting) will deliver an amazing analysis combination that you don't see with any cameras in the sub $5,000 range. Exciting times!

Jason

Comment

Jason,
                  Yes the world I envisioned in 1984 is now arriving!

Comment

Bad example

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    Would love to get your thoughts on "Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively"
                    Hey, watching that second guy in blue could ruin anyone's stroke! I thought you were trying to create positive mental images

That was a surprise.

Comment

FYI - new alternatives

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      Seano great info!!

The ultimate hope is that the 35mm still/high def video cameras will eventually offer the higher frame rates with the complete manual control. I am told by techie geek types they have the capability...companies are just rolling features out one by one to maximize sales...
                      Note: New iPhones can go to 240 fps, plus there's a dedicated-to-slowmo video camera body in kickstarter that does 550 fps at 720 and goes up ridiculously at ever lower rez. I think it will be $500-to-$1,500 plus lens (or use existing with C adapter).

Comment

Yeah the iphone plus ubersense. Would have been 10s of K years ago. I will believe kickstarter camera when I see it.

Comment

Hi John, would you have an update on your recommendations for high speed cameras to use --for indoors in particular -- I can't see a thread on this matter since 2013 and I imagine there are many new options. thanks for any advice

Comment

Most phones have 240fps. If you want a real camera, I use the Sony RX100 IV, which is an incredible point and shoot camera. It has HD quality but with limitations. I only get a 2 - 4 second record time in super slo-mo. Has 240 to 960 fps WITH ADJUSTABLE SHUTTER SPEED and impressive ISO range and records a very impressive quality, indoors. Fine if I just want individual strokes but has some great features. I bought it in 2015. They have since come out with a Mark V and just announced Mark VI, with record times of 4 - 8 seconds. Also has 4k recording. I still have the old Casio FH100 but isn't great indoors.
                            Last edited by seano; 06-08-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3855 users online. 4 members and 3851 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X