2015 Coupe Rogers…ATP 1000…Montreal, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
    Murray defends almost as well as Djokovic, perhaps even a little more creatively. I don't think he consistently returns deep as well as Djokovic has demonstrated he can again and again. But Murray is definitely better on attack and much better in the forecourt.

I think Kyle is onto something here. Andy should study his tactics in the first and expecially the third set here.

Where Murrray is at a disadvantage is on the second serve, but he seems to have neutralised that deficit this last week. Also, it remains to be seen if Murray can put forward the tremendous resolve and toughness Novak has showed time and again in long matches. There is a large questionmark there.

don
    I think Murray's aggression and resolve were the best I have seen in him. Djokovic was sticking like glue and not going to give up at any point in that match. Djokovic is so tough to beat these days.

My question mark is the same as yours. On top of this, can he sustain that kind of form over five sets against Djokovic and when the stakes are far higher.

Murray looked the best volleyer on the tour in the final. He pulled off some tough low volleys and really meant them. They weren't lucky. He played for them. It's a shame those volleys haven't been cultivated more over the last 10 years because he would be a really good volleyer by now if they had been.

I think Murray is real contender for the US OPEN at this point in time.
    Stotty

Comment

Andy Murray's resolve…and Jason Day's Journey.

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I think Murray's aggression and resolve were the best I have seen in him.

I think Murray is real contender for the US OPEN at this point in time.
      I think I noticed a big change in Andy Murray in his loss at Wimbledon to Roger Federer. Perhaps it is Jonas Björkman. Roger played a perfect match against him and the margin of winning wasn't all that big. What was most important is that Murray was competing all of the way…right down to the bitter end and at the end you had the sense that he wasn't crying the bitter tears anymore. I think that Roger most of all sensed that he needed to close him out and not let Murray gat a foothold in the match. I think that was part of the reason that Roger played so intensely. There seemed to be more of a sense of resolve about Murray as if he was not out of the match even towards the end when he would have given up in the past. He had arrived at the conclusion that it is better "to be a man about it" as my good old friend Leon once told me. I'll never forget those words.

Golf star Jason Day says the hardship of his early life and the sacrifices of his family propelled him to the U.S. PGA Championship title.

Speaking of being a man about it…my attention was diverted from the Murray/Djokovic final by the PGA Championships that were being played in Wisconsin at the same time. Jason Day was the eventual winner over the second place finisher of Jason Spieth who is another story in his own right. After reading this article about him in CNN I was rather overwhelmed and impressed with his journey. Andy could use a huge dose of what Jason Day has. Resolve.
      Last edited by don_budge; 08-17-2015, 09:26 PM.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        I think I noticed a big change in Andy Murray in his loss at Wimbledon to Roger Federer. Perhaps it is Jonas Björkman. Roger played a perfect match against him and the margin of winning wasn't all that big. What was most important is that Murray was competing all of the way…right down to the bitter end and at the end you had the sense that he wasn't crying the bitter tears anymore. I think that Roger most of all sensed that he needed to close him out and not let Murray gat a foothold in the match. I think that was part of the reason that Roger played so intensely. There seemed to be more of a sense of resolve about Murray as if he was not out of the match even towards the end when he would have given up in the past. He had arrived at the conclusion that it is better "to be a man about it" as my good old friend Leon once told me. I'll never forget those words.

Golf star Jason Day says the hardship of his early life and the sacrifices of his family propelled him to the U.S. PGA Championship title.

Speaking of being a man about it…my attention was diverted from the Murray/Djokovic final by the PGA Championships that were being played in Wisconsin at the same time. Jason Day was the eventual winner over the second place finisher of Jason Spieth who is another story in his own right. After reading this article about him in CNN I was rather overwhelmed and impressed with his journey. Andy could use a huge dose of what Jason Day has. Resolve.
        Murray clearly manned up. About time.

Interesting story on Jason Day. Was unfamiliar with his journey until now. Great performance on the links from him this past weekend. Yes, it is resolve. Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Pretty hard to play with a hurt elbow, if any of you have tried it! He probably doesn't know about the flex bar.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2724 users online. 6 members and 2718 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X