Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York, U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Federer gets by,,,but it wasn't pretty. Tiafoe unleashed some haymakers and did not go away. Credit to him.Fed dodged a bullett. I figured he would find a way to win but this was a bit too close.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Yes too close for comfort. I wonder how many players have survived a five set, first round scare in a grand slam and gone on to win the trophy? I'd wager not too many. Still, Roger seems to defy most odds in tennis....and life.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I just have a feeling that Alex is confident in his overall appeal
      Yes...you are surely correct. But so was Borna Coric too at one point. He was another overhyped "Next Generation" star. Tonight we get a gratis litmus test of the "Next Generation". Zverev versus Coric. But don't try to watch it. It is certain to be a snoozer. Let me know. I like the fact that you are in Zverev's corner.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        Yes too close for comfort. I wonder how many players have survived a five set, first round scare in a grand slam and gone on to win the trophy? I'd wager not too many. Still, Roger seems to defy most odds in tennis....and life.
        Well it may just have gone according to script. Roger Federer's script. He seems to be writing history these days. Someone gave him license to freelance. The first set Tiafoe was playing "lights out" but Federer really picked up the pace for sets two and three. He was playing vintage Federer and I mean the latest vintage as in Wimbledon, Australian, Miami and Indian Hills vintages. His form was absolutely scintillating and the backhand looked like the backhand that had us talking all year. I didn't see the first set even though I have seen three different highlights including the one on EuroSport here in Europe. The fifth set he had it comfortably in the bag but failed to serve it out. He missed a couple of volleys that would have sealed the deal. He concluded things a bit more dramatically than it needed to be by breaking Tiafoe for the match.

Our resident psycho head case has done Roger a huge...a HUGE by disappearing to John Millman a fellow Australian. The wife and I were sitting here watching bits and pieces of Nick Kyrgios in between commercials of NAVY CIS. It looked to me as if Kyrgios was tanking but later I caught a brief glance at a trainer apparently working on his shoulder. Any excuse will seem to do when you are Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios. Harry Hopman is rolling around in his grave...God Bless him.

This loss really opens up the draw for Roger. It looks like a straight shot to the quarters where it might just be Dominc Thiem. This five set win gave Roger plenty of time to get himself acclimated to the courts and the atmosphere. Now with Kyrgios out he can get himself worked up into a fine lather to get ready for some serious tennis. There is lots of work to be done and he will be fine tuning himself all of the way. Like a Stradivarius violin. The top half appears to be heavier and heavier the more I look at it. But never mind...it is what it is. Roger is going to have to overcome all of the given obstacles...or someone else is going to do it. He has the wind behind his back and the five setter might actually work in his favor. I know one thing for certain...he will be trying to make it work for him.

I was a little concerned at times that he might not be running down some balls that he normally might. He may just have played Tiafoe a little soft at times...why I couldn't tell you. But in sets two and three there didn't appear to be anything wrong with him at all. It looked like he was in perfect form.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Well it may just have gone according to script. Roger Federer's script. He seems to be writing history these days. Someone gave him license to freelance. The first set Tiafoe was playing "lights out" but Federer really picked up the pace for sets two and three. He was playing vintage Federer and I mean the latest vintage as in Wimbledon, Australian, Miami and Indian Hills vintages. His form was absolutely scintillating and the backhand looked like the backhand that had us talking all year. I didn't see the first set even though I have seen three different highlights including the one on EuroSport here in Europe. The fifth set he had it comfortably in the bag but failed to serve it out. He missed a couple of volleys that would have sealed the deal. He concluded things a bit more dramatically than it needed to be by breaking Tiafoe for the match.

Our resident psycho head case has done Roger a huge...a HUGE by disappearing to John Millman a fellow Australian. The wife and I were sitting here watching bits and pieces of Nick Kyrgios in between commercials of NAVY CIS. It looked to me as if Kyrgios was tanking but later I caught a brief glance at a trainer apparently working on his shoulder. Any excuse will seem to do when you are Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios. Harry Hopman is rolling around in his grave...God Bless him.

This loss really opens up the draw for Roger. It looks like a straight shot to the quarters where it might just be Dominc Thiem. This five set win gave Roger plenty of time to get himself acclimated to the courts and the atmosphere. Now with Kyrgios out he can get himself worked up into a fine lather to get ready for some serious tennis. There is lots of work to be done and he will be fine tuning himself all of the way. Like a Stradivarius violin. The top half appears to be heavier and heavier the more I look at it. But never mind...it is what it is. Roger is going to have to overcome all of the given obstacles...or someone else is going to do it. He has the wind behind his back and the five setter might actually work in his favor. I know one thing for certain...he will be trying to make it work for him.

I was a little concerned at times that he might not be running down some balls that he normally might. He may just have played Tiafoe a little soft at times...why I couldn't tell you. But in sets two and three there didn't appear to be anything wrong with him at all. It looked like he was in perfect form.
          It's tough to know whether Roger is 100% or not because he is not about to tell Joe Public if he were impaired in any way, for two reasons: It would give the game away if he was impaired and players would know to exploit it...and...he's just not the type who like making excuses as he knows it looks like sour grapes. So all we can do is hope he isn't injured.

I don't know why you were worried about a Kyrgios/Roger match up. It wouldn't have been a physically taxing game and Roger has the perfect tools to beat the Jerk. Oddly enough, Roger's clone Dimitrov gave the tour a text book lesson on how to play Kyrgios. And anything Dimitrov can do, Roger can do even better.

Speaking of Dimitrov, he might have a good run this year. He's looking in good shape and has maintained good form for quite some time now. He's getting more efficient in matches and beating underdogs quickly with the minimum loss of games. Does that skill by chance remind you of anyone?
          Last edited by stotty; 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

Yes...you are surely correct. But so was Borna Coric too at one point. He was another overhyped "Next Generation" star. Tonight we get a gratis litmus test of the "Next Generation". Zverev versus Coric. But don't try to watch it. It is certain to be a snoozer. Let me know. I like the fact that you are in Zverev's corner.
            Maybe he(Coric) was a so called next genereration, whatever that is. I do remember Mary Carillo was all in about Coric. Alex is way taller, and he is unsually attactive, even by pro tennis standards(his looks have done nothing in his life to hurt his self belief) He also has a better backhand, forehand, and serve than Coric. Coric probably is a slightly better mover. They both compete all the time, unlike Kyrgios, who once again brought the drama and did not feel like competing today.
            Last edited by stroke; 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Maybe he(Coric) was a so called next genereration, whatever that is. I do remember Mary Carillo was all in about Coric. Alex is way taller, and he is unsually attactive, even by pro tennis standards(his looks have done nothing in his life to hurt his self belief) He also has a better backhand, forehand, and serve than Coric. Coric probably is a slightly better mover. They both compete all the time, unlike Kyrgios, who once again brought the drama and did not feel like competing today.
              It's a long road to the top. I woke at 3.45 here in Sweden just in time to see Borna Coric and Alexander Zverev shake hands. No kidding...perfect timing. The long, tall and good looking media darling looked none to happy.

Good media is nice...but it certainly doesn't cut it on the court. Alexander Zverev may be a number one player in the world someday but his press accolades are going to have nothing to do with it. Once you get there...it is quite another thing to stay there which you don't find out until you get there. Once you are there...you might just be too fucking tired to last there or your head might just be a bit messed up from the journey. Sort of a jet lag that prevents you from doing just exactly what it took to get there.

Borna Coric is a perfect example. "Next Generation" by definition is a player that has been pegged by the ATP to succeed to the extent that they will create enough interest to sustain the game as a business. This is what the game has been reduced to...the lowest common denominator. It's a business and that is all. There is no more art. There is very little true love for the game like there was when players were being developed on the grass root level instead of being farmed. Borna has had his ups and downs too. It's a long ass haul. Even to get where he currently is. Where is he? I'll tell you where he is...he is ranked #number 61 in the world. He too was being touted as somebody to be reckoned with by everyone. I remember when he took the court against Roger Federer in Dubai he was so full of himself...Roger barely looked at him as he kicked his ass all over the court.

If anything Zverev is too pretty. My buddy...the Ugly American from Hawaii called me the other day and went up one side of Zverev and down the other. Way too pretty...he is way too vain.

But we'll see. The brain trust made a calculated decision to bank on this kid and quite possibly they have done him a huge disservice. He seems fragile to me. Psychologically as well as physically. He technique and tactical game lend itself to destructive forces that add up over time. He is built to play going forwards but he elects to jerk around the court from side to side. He needs some meat in those legs. Then there is something about the heart. That is where the great champion beats the field. In his heart. His love for the game...everything else in life takes second place.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's tough to know whether Roger is 100% or not because he is not about to tell Joe Public if he were impaired in any way, for two reasons: It would give the game away if he was impaired and players would know to exploit it...and...he's just not the type who like making excuses as he knows it looks like sour grapes. So all we can do is hope he isn't injured.
                Roger Federer is 34-0 against the players in his next two rounds. He will approach the matches as if he is a combined 0-0. This is all he gives away to us. His approach to the game is what you would call picture perfect. The camera cannot penetrate the veneer.

It's too bad that we will not get the Kyrgios match that I was anticipating. The two have played six sets in two matches of competition and every single one of them has gone to a tie-breaker. The match in Miami was the best match of the year so far...at least in the two out of three department and just possibly the best overall. It was wire to wire...point by point. Intense. Constant pressure by both players without letup. Federer was fortunate to somehow beat Nadal the next day. He was on the ropes and he didn't have much under him in the legs department. Once again...Kyrgios is a no show.

Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov is the real thing. This is no media concoction. He either has all of the prerequisites or he potentially has all of the prerequisites. Last night he basically neutered a very powerful Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for another big scalp. He outplayed the "Baby Parisian Bull" from bell to bell with a variety of play that just isn't seen in modern tennis except for you know who. Shapovalov is still rough around the edges and even a tad wet behind the ears but he is sending out a huge message here. Look out...here I come. Two solid rounds of big time tennis. Three out of five.

Interesting when talking about young Denis you need to talk about a lot of things. It isn't just good backhand, big forehand. Suddenly we have an incredible left handed talent that shows signs of playing all court tennis. I was observing his serving tactics on Tsonga and I haven't seen anything like this kid since...well, you know who. He served a ball into Tsonga's body on the forehand side that totally handcuffed him...then he proceeded to serve out the game using this tactic as the basis. He did it again on the next point...won again. Did it again on the next point and lost...no problem. Then he chased the big lug off of the court with the slice and cranked a backhand into the open court.

Speaking of groundies...he slugs the forehand and is so capable of pulling the right hander off of the court wide. When you come down the backhand side he is apt to slug that one as well. He's patient too...he doesn't try to hit shots that he doesn't know he can make. This is perhaps on of the biggest of all of the intangibles. He is quite capable of slugging it down the middle waiting for the short ball or a bit of angle to exploit. He can be equally overpowering. He has versatility...something that cannot be said for many of the other players on tour. The kid has style.

Next up is Kyle Edmund. Kyle is a bull dog who doesn't let go. He doesn't let go that is until he has been clubbed over the head enough times to render him senseless. This is what he is facing going up against this battering ram of a teenager. Looking ahead in the bottom half of the draw should Shapovalov do the unthinkable it looks as if Lucas Pouille may have some good position to make it through to a match against Marin Cilic. Cilic should be considering himself to be in the driver's seat of the bottom half but for him right now it is a question of confidence. Federer made him feel a little too naked on Center Court at Wimbledon...but maybe, just maybe he can put on his "Sleeper" suit once again.

don_budge

Comment

I have been watching Shapovalov properly for pretty much the first time this morning...the Tsonga highlights.

He constructs points really well. I like the way he doesn't pull the trigger too early, and the way he uses the full dimensions of the courts. He can also split the court wide open with just a couple of shots. I like his native intelligence for the game. I had seen him play once before but he didn't play anywhere near as well this. I am favourably impressed. He makes the court look a huge place...poor Tsonga is being torn apart in front of me.

I am smitten. I can see myself rapidly becoming a Shapovalov fan.

stroke, what are his odds?
                  Stotty

Comment

Odds now:

Fed 7/4
                    Nadal 3/1
                    Cilic 7/1
                    Dimitrov 14/1
                    Isner 30/1
                    Thiem 33/1
                    Del Po 33/1
                    Querry 33/1
                    Shapovalov 40/1

I only watched 2 matches yesterday. I watched drama princess Kyrgios and what appeared to be all drama, no injury, not feeling it today. On a side note, the guy he lost to, a fellow Aussie John Millman, is really a class act. John's post match interview was all class. I watched Alex and Borna. I was of course surprised at that outcome, not the 1st time that has happened. Both players really competed for every game for the entire 5 set match. To me, Alex in his post match interview certainly understands the importance of this loss for him. db, as far as this Next Gen stuff the ATP is pushing such as these Next Gen only events, I think it is a real blunder on their part. There is plenty of tennis out there and the rankings do not lie.

Comment

Coric a more physical competitor than Zverev. Alexander Zverev was never a favorite in my mind as he has never been past a fourth round. To win a grand slam, you need to win 21 sets while only losing a maximum of 14. Winning one third more sets than losing in a physical test like a grand slam is tough, much tougher than best of 3. Zverev will need to bulk up, which he will, grow into his body and be ready for the long haul.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Dimitrov Rublev just got really interesting - Baby Fed was up a break but Rublev played his way back in, up 6-5 in the first.

Never seen a guy take fh so early, almost half volleys it would seem - and he is FAST....

Comment

BF is now down a set which had looked like a cakewalk - until Rublev started playing. BF is being forced by Rublev time pressure and pace to rely on his slice, which Rublev is just crushing off the court surface. Hopefully it's a long match.....

Comment

Originally posted by faultsnaces View Post
                            BF is now down a set which had looked like a cakewalk - until Rublev started playing. BF is being forced by Rublev time pressure and pace to rely on his slice, which Rublev is just crushing off the court surface. Hopefully it's a long match.....
                            I saw Andrey Rublev play Stefan Koslov at the French Open Juniors a few years back. Rublev was plenty feisty and even arrogant. He has been on the radar screen for some time now. It looks as he is developing into a formidable men's competitor now. He has taken the second set off of Dimitrov and it is a long road back for Grigor now.
                            don_budge

Comment

I saw Andrey Rublev play Stefan Koslov at the French Open Juniors a few years back. Rublev was plenty feisty and even arrogant. He has been on the radar screen for some time now. It looks as he is developing into a formidable men's competitor now. He has taken the second set off of Dimitrov and it is a long road back for Grigor now.
                              Love 'em or hate 'em, the youngsters are starting to burst through.
                              Stotty

Comment

Hashtag of the day at Armstrong should be #nextGenTennis - or maybe #oneOrTwo?

Now up Thiem v Fritz - both absolutely ferocious off both wings...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8594 users online. 4 members and 8590 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X