Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York, U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a lot of info I did not know on this draw stuff. Sam has a shot here at a major he may not see again. He is playing well, certainly one of the best if not the best serve left in the tournament, a very high end forehand, and his confidence is high after a good recent run of good play/results. Would have looked pretty good at 33/1. It would be quite a story for US tennis if he could somehow do it.

Comment

Who at the U.S. Open has the best name? It used to be Elena Dementieva but now it's Anna Blinkova (eye). She's the one to follow. No I didn't know that.
      Last edited by bottle; 09-02-2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        The lower half of the draw is now wide open...
        It is. An outsider is going to make it to the final.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It is. An outsider is going to make it to the final.
          It couldn't have been scripted any better for the young Denis Shapovalov. Others have a big chance to capitalize. Watching Andrey Rublev up two sets to love and deep into the third. Looks like a possible tie-breaker. This kid has come a long way since I saw him in Paris a few years back. faultsnaces is right about the forehand...he is teeing off on it nearly every ball.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

It couldn't have been scripted any better for the young Denis Shapovalov. Others have a big chance to capitalize. Watching Andrey Rublev up two sets to love and deep into the third. Looks like a possible tie-breaker. This kid has come a long way since I saw him in Paris a few years back. faultsnaces is right about the forehand...he is teeing off on it nearly every ball.
            Interesting. It's bugger right now. I cannot get my satellite TV to work. I would like to see Rublev play.
            Stotty

Comment

Interesting. It's bugger right now. I cannot get my satellite TV to work. I would like to see Rublev play.
              He's playing Damir Dzumhur and Dzumhur just took the third set 7-5 and it seems to have temporarily rattled the rather arrogant Rublev. Rublev looks like he could be a character out of a Dostoyevsky novel...striking looks and attitude. Maybe he could be Arkady Dolgoruky from "The Adolescent". Written in 1874, it is the story of a nineteen year old looking for his identity amidst the disorder of Russian society in the 1870's. Rublev is nineteen and he is doing his best to make his mark on the game and he isn't very shy about it.

Try this link if the satellite doesn't get moving.

https://www.batmanstream.com/tennis-...o-2016-21.html

Andrey is very impressive though. I actually see him as having ultimately more potential than players like Borna Coric and Alexander Zverev. He had a huge win against Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets where he never really let the Bulgarian in the match.
              don_budge

Comment

He's playing Damir Dzumhur and Dzumhur just took the third set 7-5 and it seems to have temporarily rattled the rather arrogant Rublev. Rublev looks like he could be a character out of a Dostoyevsky novel...striking looks and attitude. Maybe he could be Arkady Dolgoruky from "The Adolescent". Written in 1874, it is the story of a nineteen year old looking for his identity amidst the disorder of Russian society in the 1870's. Rublev is nineteen and he is doing his best to make his mark on the game and he isn't very shy about it.

Try this link if the satellite doesn't get moving.

https://www.batmanstream.com/tennis-...o-2016-21.html

Andrey is very impressive though. I actually see him as having ultimately more potential than players like Borna Coric and Alexander Zverev. He had a huge win against Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets where he never really let the Bulgarian in the match.
                Thanks for the thought. That website isn't accepted in my region of the world. Hopefully my satellite will gain reception again soon. It ought to, the money I pay!
                Stotty

Comment

Manage to tune in for the end of the first set with Nadal v Mayer. Nadal is playing very badly and is very on edge. I know the courts are supposed to be slow but why does Nadal stand so far back to return? Seems like a suicide tactic at times.

The way he is playing so far, he could lose.
                  Stotty

Comment

Roger Federer into the Round of 16...

Here are the highlights:

John McEnroe in the booth. If you have the time...take a lesson in modern tennis from "The Living Proof" and the great John McEnroe. Love him or hate McEnroe...he is an astute student of the game. He has to watch his mouth now in the booth. He is serving a master of sorts but you can hear how his mind works.

Philip Kohlschreiber through as Federer's opponent in the round of 16. It's been a cakewalk for Philipp so far but he is in for a rude awakening. He is 0-11 against Federer. So far. Federer's opponents for the tournament are a combined 0-42.
                    don_budge

Comment

Philip Kohlschreiber through as Federer's opponent in the round of 16. It's been a cakewalk for Philipp so far but he is in for a rude awakening. He is 0-11 against Federer. So far. Federer's opponents for the tournament are a combined 0-42.
                      And this is why so many of the matches are non-events...boring as hell.

First we have Roger dominating for 4 or 5 years, then Rafa for 3 or 4 years, then Djokovic for 5 years, then Murray for 6 months....and now full circle back to Roger. Soon Djokovic will be back and he will resume for another couple of years. It's actually pretty dull unless you are a BIG 4 fanatic.

I have actually resorted to watching some of the women's matches, which have been pretty exciting, not in terms of the tennis necessarily, but in that the matches are often on a knife-edge and you don't know who is going to win.

At least the winner of Del Potro and Thiem will have some kind of head to head record against Roger going in to the match. I mean at 42-0, is it worth Roger's previous three opponents turning up? Maybe Kohlschreiber can prove me wrong...

That was an odd match last night with Nadal and Mayer. Nadal was as twitchy and nervous as hell.
                      Last edited by stotty; 09-03-2017, 06:07 AM.
                      Stotty

Comment

I see Shapovalov lost in three...all tie breaks. Shame. He's had a good run for a kid aged just eighteen. Didn't see any of the match yet.

He didn't play as well against Kyle Edmund as he did against Tsonga but was still impressive in that second set. The match against Tsonga was a revelation, a real insight into what Shapovalov might become and hopefully will become.

The bottom half of the draw is wide open and there to be seized. What an opportunity.
                        Stotty

Comment

Denis Shapovalov vs. Pablo Carreno Busta

Well that was pretty watchable. I was able to stick with the match pretty much...but on the other hand I was able to disengage to take Puntzie out for a walk down to the road and back. 7-6, 7-6, 7-6. The slimmest of margins. Shapovalov had opportunities but didn't seem able to capitalize and much credit to Pablo...he was as solid as a rock. The guy did not give an inch and just refused to back off. The tenacity of a bulldog...of a David Ferrer. With more firepower off of both sides. The serve seemed to be pretty mediocre by tour standards but it was deceptive enough to keep "The Menace" at bay.

Denis is still a little rough around the edges and lacking in a bit of discipline as evidenced by his idiotic bouncing the ball backwards between his legs and wearing the hat on backwards. Details I know but they are nevertheless indications of a lack of hardcore discipline. He's eighteen now and playing deep into the draw of the U. S. Open...time to put childish things aside. But the talent is unmistakable. Mats Wilander was duly impressed and at a loss of words pretty much in assessing what he had just witnessed.

He's watchable. He's no Roger Federer...at least not yet. But there is enormous potential there and that means room for improvement. The foundation is solid and fundamentally correct. He has the speed and the power. Perhaps a little more tactical acumen...a bit more serve and volley. I didn't see much in the way of a slice backhand and the volleys didn't seem to penetrate enough to beat the Spaniard to the punch. But the kid is aggressive and he is eager to go for it. There was just a bit of danger even as he was down...way down in the third set tie-break.

Carreno Busta gets the winner of Lucas Poille and Diego Schwartzman next and that should be an interesting matchup. Poille is seeded #16 and Schwartzman is seeded #29. The bottom of the draw looks to be weaker than the top...but they are all pretty tough hombres and none of them have been around this late in the tournament going forwards except maybe for Sam Querry. The tennis is going to be a little more watchable than usual simply because there are different faces involved.

Sam Querry versus Mischa Zverev squaring off for the first time in their careers. Contrasting styles should bring a little drama to the table. Pablo Lorenzi and Kevin Anderson have a bit of a history and has been all Anderson...he leads 3-0 head to head. Depending upon Lorenzi this may have some watchability...but I am not banking on it. Anderson has never impressed me as being that entertaining to watch. Pretty much delegates his fate on the baseline.

So much for the bottom half of the draw. The real show is in the top where it is really on the line big time. The top half looks more like you would expect from a Grand Slam event. But then again that is the charm of the bottom half...the unexpected. Shapovalov did his part and made a match of it. I couldn't help but pull for him but Mats Wilander said that maybe it is just as well that he didn't make to big a splash this time. I forget why he said that. I would have liked to see the kid go all the way to the finals.
                          don_budge

Comment

And this is why so many of the matches are non-events...boring as hell.

First we have Roger dominating for 4 or 5 years, then Rafa for 3 or 4 years, then Djokovic for 5 years, then Murray for 6 months....and now full circle back to Roger. Soon Djokovic will be back and he will resume for another couple of years. It's actually pretty dull unless you are a BIG 4 fanatic.

I have actually resorted to watching some of the women's matches, which have been pretty exciting, not in terms of the tennis necessarily, but in that the matches are often on a knife-edge and you don't know who is going to win.

At least the winner of Del Potro and Thiem will have some kind of head to head record against Roger going in to the match. I mean at 42-0, is it worth Roger's previous three opponents turning up? Maybe Kohlschreiber can prove me wrong...
                            Well no surprises from Kohlschreiber then....

At 0-42 it begs the question should we even put these players in the draw. Perhaps they should just go out with a white flag and have done with it.

It's only the youngsters that have punctured the old guard in recent times, certainly none of the old establishment can do it.

I see the weary one defeated Thiem last night. That was one strange match. At least the weary one has some sort of record against Roger, though it's an unwatchable match for me, having to watch the weary one plod around, taking 45 seconds between each point, gasping for air and towelling down along the way.

Last edited by stotty; 09-05-2017, 01:27 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

It's Federer's to win...Roger vs. Anybody

Well no surprises from Kohlschreiber then....

At 0-42 it begs the question should we even put these players in the draw. Perhaps they should just go out with a white flag and have done with it.

It's only the youngsters that have punctured the old guard in recent times, certainly none of the old establishment can do it.

I see the weary one defeated Thiem last night. That was one strange match.
                              No surprises...except perhaps at how well "The Living Proof" of my tennis teaching paradigm performed. Lacking the preparation for this years U. S. Open that he would have optimally desired he has had to rely on tuning up on the field. He appears to be as fit as a fiddle. Ever since Montreal there has been a question mark about Federer's fitness. He looked a little sloppy against Alexander Zverev only to find out that he was injured...his back had flared up. He was dumping routine backhands in the net the whole match.

Francis Tiafoe was teeing off on Federer in the first round here and it was the experience and the approach to the game that allowed Roger to skirt disaster in that one. Tiafoe was really taking the initiative and playing with a sort of wild abandon with nothing to lose. Roger looked really vulnerable once more against Mikael Youzhney in the second round...perhaps even more so than the first. Another player with nothing to lose...except one more match to an opponent that he was 0-16 against. Was Vita Gerulaitis that said...nobody beats me 17 times in a row? Something like that.

Roger is 11-0 against the remaining opponents in the bottom half of the draw. But every one of them is in unknown waters. They have never been this far in a Grand Slam tournament...except our lone American Sam Querry. "Sudden Sam" suddenly believes that he belongs in these venues and he is playing with a confidence that says he can make it to the finals. Come on Sam...Make America Great Again! At least he can give a shot in the arm. Sam Querry against Kevin Anderson. The biggest rivalry of the remaining players in the bottom half with Sam owning a slight edge over Anderson with a 8-6 head to head advantage.

Anderson for his part has taken full advantage of a weakened U. S. Open draw by finding himself in a remote quarter where his last two obstacles were ranked #41 and #61 respectively. Not exactly prime time players. Borna Coric did Kevin a huge by removing Alexander Zverev from his quarter who he has lost to four consecutive times. Now he finds himself in the spotlight and the glare of the Big Apple and I am certain he has been dreaming of this moment all of his life. Surely he is going to come out gunning. Sam Querry was a real contender at Wimbledon this year losing in the semifinals to eventual runner up Marin Cilic. Sam may have stood a better chance against Federer than the effort that Marin produced. Sam is ready for this moment as his nerves have been steeled in the heat of battle and intense pressure of Grand Slam later rounds. This is where experience is going to have a big payoff. Querry showed that he was ready for his moment over on the grass as he weathered numerous five set dramas and went down fighting in the last match. It's an interesting match in this sense that the two have a past but in the end it is like you say...old establishment. A couple of big guys playing the junior game. Two handed backhands and slugging it out from the backcourt.

Pablo Carreno Busta and Diego Schwartzman have never met each other in ATP competition. Busta "Rhyme" is ranked #19 and Diego weighs in at #33. Not exactly prototypical quarterfinalists in the recent years of modern tennis. But it is a welcomed sight. Diego measures in a 5' 7" tall and I wonder how long it has been since such a short player has made the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam. One thing about short guys...they sure can generate a good "Napoleon" complex. Diego is another player in the bottom half of the draw that surely has capitalized on the weakened state of modern tennis. Ok...ok. In a currently weakened draw. He defeated Marin Cilic in the round of 32 but frankly this didn't come as much of a surprise to me. What's up with Marin? Were my eyes playing tricks on me but did Roger Federer reduce him to tears in the final of the Wimbledon championships? Mats interviewed Marin after his first round at the Open and was asking him more of less if he was man enough to seize the moment in the bottom half. There was a lot of hemming and hawing from Marin and he never could get the words out of his mouth that he was there on business. Jimmy Connors was once quoted what looking at a draw sheet saying, "there are 127 losers and me here!" Marin wasn't sure how many other losers there were besides himself there...he looked really lost. Hard to understand.

Pablo and Diego. Sounds like something out of a Don Quixote novel. Pablo took out young Denis Shapovalov. Shapovalov could not muster the rock solid play that is needed to take down Busta at this point. I was really impressed by Busta's resolve in the match and he certainly highlighted the deficiencies in the Shapovalov game. So this is an interesting one and the advantage is with Busta. I think. The thing is Busta has played four qualifiers in a row...something that has never happened before and another indication as to just how weak the field is in the modern game. Ok...ok. In this particular depleted draw to top players being injured. Diego for his part did take out Lucas Pouille in the round before but that isn't exactly standard fare Grand Slam resume greatness material. So this match may just be up for grabs. A crap shoot. Hopefully not in the literal sense.

don_budge

Comment

It certainly looks like only 2 possible players that can stop the inimitable Roger. An in form Nadal forehand or possibly Sam serving lights out. Roger will of course be the favorite in any matchup.
                                Last edited by stroke; 09-05-2017, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8610 users online. 5 members and 8605 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X