Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York, U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    It certainly looks like only 2 possible players that can stop the inimitable Roger. An in form Nadal forehand or possibly Sam serving lights out. Roger will of course be the favorite in any matchup.
    Del Potro is a real threat. If Roger is a little off like he was in rounds 1 and 2, he could easily lose to Del Potro. People can argue all day about who has the best forehand in the world but there is no argument about who hits it the hardest. When Del Potro unleashes a forehand it's the fastest moving ball you will ever see. Coupled with the stroke being technically good, Del Potro is a bloody strong bloke....so a double whammy.

That said, I hope he loses in three. Del Potro is one player I don't like watching.

The Del Potro/Thiem match was interesting. Would you choose the start a match like a bat of of hell or let the game come to you and gradually reach maximum capacity?
    Stotty

Comment

Nadal routs Rublev. That might have put the wind up Roger if he were watching.

Let's hope Roger dispatches the weary one with equal aplomb...no surprises please.

I want a Roger/Rafa semi. I want both players cranked right up to full throttle for it. I may even place a bet.
      Stotty

Comment

It's always the way when Stotty wants a given match-up to happen....something or someone gets in the way. I didn't see the match. I assume Del Potro's forehand was enormous and all other parts of his game must have clicked into place too.
        Stotty

Comment

I saw the match. Delpo's forehand is a weapon. Federer hit to the weapon. End of story. Game over. Turn out the lights, party is over.
          Fed had set points in 3rd set breaker but once he lost that, writing was on the wall

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Roger Federer versus Juan Martin Del Potro...U. S. Open Quarterfinals 2017

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            I saw the match. Delpo's forehand is a weapon. Federer hit to the weapon. End of story. Game over. Turn out the lights, party is over.
            Fed had set points in 3rd set breaker but once he lost that, writing was on the wall

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            It was another strange performance by Roger Federer...reminiscent of his recent lost to Alexander Zverev in Montreal. I got up at 3 AM here in Sweden to watch it. The first set was on serve until Roger was serving to stay in the set at 5-6. All he had to do was hold serve to nudge it into the tiebreak. Bad sign number one...Roger wasn't sitting down for the allotted time in between side changes. I have never once seen him do that over the years and as you know...I keep a pretty close eye on things. There was a reason for this but so far Roger isn't talking. Somebody let me know when the story leaks out about his back. Federer was not contesting points beyond his grasp. Normally he is like some kind of bull terrier that won't let go but here he was meekly attempting to make returns of serve and after a couple of feeble attempts conceding games to Del Potro. Very un-Federer like.

But the really telling sign came in the decisive service game. Roger serving to get into a tie-break? Come on...this is almost a given on any decent night. I cannot remember the sequence of points but he was missing the first serve when he needed it most. Normally this is where the Federer serve motion is at its best...but it let him down here. It sort of seems to desert him in matches like these. Inexplicably. But the ultimate mind fart occurred on set point to Del Potro. Federer missed the first serve and then he followed up that with a dismal serve and volley attempt on the second serve which Del Potro calmly ripped past him. Federer basically conceded the first set on his service game. Terrible beginning.

Somehow though he managed to regroup and won the second set with an early break of serve. This was a strange set as well. After the service break in a match like this normally Federer is fighting for another service break. He wants to consolidate in his lead. But here he was almost deliberately missing returns in order to get the ball back in his hands so that he could try to serve out the set...which he managed to do. Del Potro served with new balls at 2-5 and Federer barely made any effort at all to return serve. It was almost as if he didn't want to use the balls so that he could try to serve it out with new balls himself. Normally it would seem that he would try to break Del Potro at that point in order to begin the next set serving.

The third set was to me a sign to go to bed and read about it the next day. Why stay up all night just to get the bad news? As it turned out the disrupted sleep was better than losing the whole nights sleep. Federer lost his first serve and Del Potro held after that to make it three for the big guy. At this point I saw the handwriting on the wall. It didn't look to me as if Federer was up to the task. This whole match had that "Montreal Final" feel to it. As it turned out though Federer did manage to get back in the set but flubbed the tie break which I subsequently saw the next morning on the EuroSport repeat here. The whole tie-breaker was surreal. I had read that Federer had lost by this point and I knew he had lost the third set in a tie-breaker but here it was before my very eyes and judging from the play I began to doubt that Del Potro had really won the tie-break in the third set. Federer was in command the entire tie-break. He was up the service break the entire time and Del Potro was only scratching and clawing to hang around. It seemed to me that Federer had three set points or so and he was serving for at least two of them. This looked to me to be a routine tie-break Federer Style but in the end it was Del Potro who prevailed. I really had a hard time believing my eyes. I still don't understand how Federer managed to lost that one.

I didn't see the fourth set and I don't think I need to see it. The only thing I would possibly like to see would be the hand shake after the match. I had a dream after I went to bed when I had given up on Roger. Del Potro after winning stripped down to his underwear which was of the same Nike print as his outfit. He was in the stands with his Argentine compatriots and they were dousing the sweaty "Jolly Green Argentine" with beer so that he was just a big sweaty beer doused "Plodisaurus". It isn't like me to give up on Roger mid match but the writing was clearly on the wall and as usual...I made the right decision. I doubled down on some sleep and waited for the bad news until morning.

I read a couple of different articles and was sort of surprised at some of the comments attributed to Federer. It didn't sound like him at all. I have a hard time believing that was the REAL Roger Federer out there against Juan Martin Del Potro but I am fairly convinced that those are the real scores on the draw sheet. Federer did not want to play Nadal. Bottom line.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Rather uncharacteristic interview and comments with Roger Federer after his loss to Juan Martin Del Potro. Almost as if he wasn't up to playing Nadal in the semi finals.

“It happens. I don’t know. It’s hard to explain sometimes,” Federer said. “You do the right things and he does too and it matches up badly your way. I don’t think I played badly. It didn’t go my way.” As for the four squandered set points in the tie-breaker, Federer said, “I don’t think those four points made all the difference. I missed too many balls."

“He came up with the goods and I helped him sometimes maybe.” Federer said in some ways he wasn’t disappointed because he knew his game was weaker than it looked, having been aided by playing three rivals in a row who are a combined 0-40 against him.

“It has been a tough tournament. I struggled,” Federer said. “If I ran into a good guy I knew I was going to lose. And going in I knew I’m not in a safe place.

“I’m out of this tournament because I wasn’t good enough in my mind, my body and my game.”

“I feel like the way I’m playing right now it’s not good enough to win this tournament. It’s better I’m out and somebody else gets a chance to win.”

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Rather uncharacteristic interview and comments with Roger Federer after his loss to Juan Martin Del Potro. Almost as if he wasn't up to playing Nadal in the semi finals.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/...6329b1f5fccd24

“It happens. I don’t know. It’s hard to explain sometimes,” Federer said. “You do the right things and he does too and it matches up badly your way. I don’t think I played badly. It didn’t go my way.” As for the four squandered set points in the tie-breaker, Federer said, “I don’t think those four points made all the difference. I missed too many balls."

“He came up with the goods and I helped him sometimes maybe.” Federer said in some ways he wasn’t disappointed because he knew his game was weaker than it looked, having been aided by playing three rivals in a row who are a combined 0-40 against him.

“It has been a tough tournament. I struggled,” Federer said. “If I ran into a good guy I knew I was going to lose. And going in I knew I’m not in a safe place.

“I’m out of this tournament because I wasn’t good enough in my mind, my body and my game.”

“I feel like the way I’m playing right now it’s not good enough to win this tournament. It’s better I’m out and somebody else gets a chance to win.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmHSou6Hn8
                Good comments...all true. I like the comment: If I ran into a good guy I knew I was going to lose. Not the most respectful thing he could have said in reference his previous opponents, but on the spur of the moment sometimes you lose your tact. I personally thought it was funny.

I am happy for anyone to win this tournament but not the 'weary' one...anyone but him. The game starts late over here so I shall miss it. It will be a long game even if the victor win in three straight sets. At 30 to 40 seconds between points it will be like long haul flight.

It was a struggle from the get-go for Roger. As you often say....preparation...preparation...preparation is so key. Roger didn't have the best preparation, but on top of that I think the courts are a little slow, not fast, as was first thought. Perfect for Del Potro, though; he could win the whole thing.
                Stotty

Comment

Nadal vs. Anderson in the US Open Finals. Anyone have that in your projected draws? Nadal was ruthless against deploy once he began to make the big guy move around the court. Sunday should be straight forward. I hope not though.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

I watched approximately 30 seconds of the Anderson/Busta match and turned the channel back to the movie "The Departed".

A compelling Martin Scorsese treatment of gangster life mingled with corrupt cops. Tragic endings for all. Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg all give credible performances. I've seen the movie a few times but it was far more interesting than the prospect of watching Anderson and Busta trade forehands and backhands all night lone. What was the score? Even less interest in the next matchup.

Federer wanted no part of Nadal for some very inexplicable reason. I watched that match some more on a EuroSport rerun. In the last game where Del Potro is serving it out Federer has a real chance to break but it is as if he almost didn't want to. He missed a sitter of a forehand volley that had the Swedish commentator exclaiming...what is happening here? Very strange quarterfinal between Del Potro and Federer. Federer handed the tiebreaker to him in the third set.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSmHSou6Hn8
                    Maybe Roger? Why would you "maybe" help him? Hard to explain? Why is that...would the truth be the unspeakable? These comments are almost an indictment. If taken at face value. Did he make an early exit because he had been caught doing something he shouldn't have been doing? Ditto for Montreal? Something doesn't look right to my eye...it doesn't make any sense. The tie-breaker was really a whack job. I knew that Federer had lost the match when I watched it for the first time but I had a hard time convincing myself during that tie-breaker. He was so in control from the beginning to the time when he folded...he just folded.

don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
                      It was a struggle from the get-go for Roger. As you often say....preparation...preparation...preparation is so key. Roger didn't have the best preparation, but on top of that I think the courts are a little slow, not fast, as was first thought. Perfect for Del Potro, though; he could win the whole thing.
                      John McEnroe was saying during the Nadal/Rublev match that the courts were faster than he had ever seen them in the modern age.

don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

John McEnroe was saying during the Nadal/Rublev match that the courts were faster than he had ever seen them in the modern age.
                        Over here, the court side commentators are saying it's a slow surface. Still, McEnroe likely recognises a quick surface better than anyone.
                        Stotty

Comment

• Well the draw just fell open for Rafa as it did for Roger at Wimbledon. All the potential stumbling blocks never materialised or found their through the draw. Del Potro made it through but then had little left to give when he got there. Rafa should really mop up from here.
                          Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            I watched approximately 30 seconds of the Anderson/Busta match and turned the channel back to the movie "The Departed".

A compelling Martin Scorsese treatment of gangster life mingled with corrupt cops. Tragic endings for all. Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg all give credible performances. I've seen the movie a few times but it was far more interesting than the prospect of watching Anderson and Busta trade forehands and backhands all night lone. What was the score? Even less interest in the next matchup.

Federer wanted no part of Nadal for some very inexplicable reason. I watched that match some more on a EuroSport rerun. In the last game where Del Potro is serving it out Federer has a real chance to break but it is as if he almost didn't want to. He missed a sitter of a forehand volley that had the Swedish commentator exclaiming...what is happening here? Very strange quarterfinal between Del Potro and Federer. Federer handed the tiebreaker to him in the third set.

Maybe Roger? Why would you "maybe" help him? Hard to explain? Why is that...would the truth be the unspeakable? These comments are almost an indictment. If taken at face value. Did he make an early exit because he had been caught doing something he shouldn't have been doing? Ditto for Montreal? Something doesn't look right to my eye...it doesn't make any sense. The tie-breaker was really a whack job. I knew that Federer had lost the match when I watched it for the first time but I had a hard time convincing myself during that tie-breaker. He was so in control from the beginning to the time when he folded...he just folded.

Could it be that his back was never 100%? I mean it was good enough to fake his way through easy opponents. But he simply could not move the right way. There is also the knee that is not the same one he had before. He is also older and recovery is not the same. If we think about age the way we would think about disease then it makes perfect sense. We can have a sudden miraculous recovery but it won't last forever. Fed will have to rest and prepare more and more as he gets older. He simply cannot play at a high level without a break. There is a reason he skipped the clay season. He can still play but to play at the highest level he needs more time to train and recover.

I expect that in a year or two he will gear his whole season around Wimbledon which he may win one more time.

Then eventually he will fade into the sunset. It is inevitable.

His play early this year was like a patient who has a sudden reprieve from a disease and is suddenly lucid.

Fed is on a rest/recovery cycle. He needed more rest and recovery before playing the US open.

It's as simple as that.

Comment

• What about Nadal! I mean he put on a clinic on how to adjust. I think that he pulled out his anti-Joker blueprint. Rather than pound the backhand he made Delpo run and this is very hard for someone 6'6" to do for five sets successfully.

I think that Anderson might have a better chance of making it a match. He has a truly big game and will simply swing for the fences.

If the conditions are right it could be something like Rosol. The only problem is this is a final and that weight could become a burden for Anderson.

I would give this a 15% chance of happening. The 85% chance is that Nadal steamrolls him the way he did Delpo.

The US Open seeding committee must be truly upset. I think Fed would have made it through to the final on the other side of the draw.

And no matter what he felt the other night against Delpo a different Fed might have shown up.

That is assuming Fed is healthy.

Comment

• I had one other thought with Fed. Could it be that he has a form of PTSD at the US open?

I mean think about how many matches he has had where he has lost unexpectedly. The biggest one being Joker's casual winner to take the match.

Then loss after loss at different points of the tournament. Berdych at night in the quarters. Cilic in the semis. Joker again in the final.

All those memories sit around and just get magnified over time.

He is stil upset about having lost that final.

The negativity becomes cumulative.

And then he didn't have the crowd helping him out.

It just added to the negative mindset that has built up over time.

Delpo just brought all this ugliness back.

Remember the way he barked at the Umpire in the 2009 final.

All of this is inside Fed but most of the time he manages to hide it well.

No one has that much success without an edge...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9525 users online. 6 members and 9519 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X