Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I am watching though Amazon Prime which does't give the viewer a choice of matches, which is a downer.

Novak seems to be struggling according to the radio commentary...stomach trouble apparently. That could be a problem because the guy he is playing is no mug, I've watched him play before. He's just the sort of player who could knock Novak of if he's under par...interesting.
    Stotty

Comment

Novak rights the ships and prevails in the end. Great to see Stan upend Dimitrov. Shame the Shapovaloz match ended with Auger-Aliasamme retiring...that was looking interesting.

Nothing to dramatic happening so far. All the usual suspects seems to be pulling though round one.
      Stotty

Comment

Stotty, have you tried using the Eurosport Player app, if you have an iPad?

Comment

I have been there in the past. Being stuck with the networks choice of which match to televise is not good.

Comment

I have Europlayer but it doesn't seem to be showing the tennis in my region.

This is Amazon's first stab at live tennis. You would think with all the examples out there they might make a better job of it. I am not impressed. I did see the tail end of the Novak match but by that time all the drama was over and Novak just steamrollered over his opponent.

I just hope Roger's date with the devil comes about in round three.
            Stotty

Comment

I think that match is going to happen in round 3, and it could be something. Roger does not often get perturbed out there, but Nick can certainly do it with his "I can decide to try when I want to and still win the match" attitude. Nick really looked good in his 1st round win vs Albot. His serve and shotmaking power were on full display. I have never seen anything like it, the combo of serve, forehand, backhand, and touch. We all know about his serve(maybe best on tour), but I think his forehand is one of the best on tour also, right behind Nadal and Fed, and right there with Sock, Del Po, and Verdasco. BTW, Luke Jensen did the commentary on Nick's match via ESPN and I thought he did a great job. He likened Nick's demeanor and talent to Nastase. Needless to say, he likes Nick.
              Last edited by stroke; 08-29-2018, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Interesting comparison...

It's an understandable comparison. Both men are so talented. Nastase was ridiculously talented in my view. I think Nick has more metal than Nasty had, although Nastase really wanted to prove himself by going all the way and winning a slam, which he did, twice. I am not sure Nick wants to do that, but he could surprise if he finds himself deep in a grand slam draw at some point.

Nastase was a nervous wreck whereas I don't think Nick is. Psychologically that's the key difference between the two men when it comes to playing matches.

Nastase was lovely to watch live. He could steer the ball around like no one else. What a waste of a talent he was! But at least he achieved a few good things. I am not sure Nick will.

I doubt there is much between the ears of either man.
                Stotty

Comment

Good to see Stan the Man winning again. Beautuful backhand.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                    Shame the Shapovaloz match ended with Auger-Aliasamme retiring...that was looking interesting.

Nothing to dramatic happening so far. All the usual suspects seems to be pulling though round one.
                    Yes it was. Too bad it finished in such drama. Felix must have really lost it all momentarily. Too much drama. Too many men crying in public these days over trivial matters such as tennis matches. Felix is going to be a force this is for certain. The athletism is unparalleled at this point from what I see. Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov looks to be maturing a bit. Too early to tell. But that backhand is looking quite menacing when he is set to pound it and be aggressive. He's young and he has time to develop. A few months ago it was all looking a bit disorganised on the court. A little sloppy. Like his appearance. His pre-serve routine.

But as far as drama goes...it would have been better to see Felix finish than to hysterically exiting the court. I don't discount the fact that he had a serious medical problem though.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      Good to see Stan the Man winning again. Beautuful backhand.
                      As I said...nothing would please me more than an all Swiss final. Stan Wawrinka seems to have found something from the past...his form. If he gets by Milos Raonic in the next round he is off to the races. He will really have his teeth into the tournament and hopefully he will play the inspired tennis he is capable of instead of meekly surrendering. He normally shows up for the Slams...not just physically either. It is as if he throws the switch and finds another gear. The kid he was playing had a nice lefty service motion but not enough to back it up against a player of Wawrinka's level. Wawrinka has to keep upping the ante each match and it remains to be seen if he is really ready to do just that. He looked like he might almost be there against Roger Federer in Cincinnati.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                        Interesting comparison...

It's an understandable comparison. Both men are so talented.
                        Both are so talented...and so flawed. These are compelling characters and it draws attention like bees to honey. Ilie Nastase was one of the "sweetest" tennis players to ever exist. Speaking of his talent...his fluidity. Nick, on the other hand, is pretty sweet in his own right and in sort of out of the Nastase book of sweetness. He's a character but on his good days he is a handful for anybody and very entertaining to watch.

When he has played Federer in the past he has been on his best behaviour. It reminds me of John McEnroe changing his spots to face Bjorn Borg.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        I think that match is going to happen in round 3, and it could be something. Roger does not often get perturbed out there, but Nick can certainly do it with his "I can decide to try when I want to and still win the match" attitude.
                        You said it best..."The Kid" is just too cool for school. Ice Ice Baby.

Vanilla Ice was an imposter as well. He borrowed his lick from Queen's "Under Pressure".

Nick needs a dose of reality. Time to focus on who he is and not what he fantasizes it to be.

don_budge

Comment

Nick "Ice Baby" Kyrgios and Roger Federer facing off with their second round opponents soon. We will be better able to gage where there game is. What kind of form they have going into an expected third round clash.
                          don_budge

Comment

I would be surprised if Paire could win a set. Vanilla Ice, I would be very surprised if he wins in straight sets. Herbert has a very good serve, and ol Ice Baby has no problem giving away a set. I plan to watch some of both matches. Nick actually did not have a good serving day by his standard in the 1st round. Looking to 3rd round, tough draw as we all know for Fed. To me, Nick is one of only about 2, maybe 3 players who can beat Roger if Roger is at all close to his best form.
                            Last edited by stroke; 08-30-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Herbert wins the first set. Let's hope Kyrgios doesn't roll over as he sometimes does. It will be great for tennis to get a big match early on in the draw.

Come on Roger....come on Kyrgios. Let's hope they both pull through today.

Paire has the worst forehand in the top 100. That alone should make it impossible for him to beat our man Roger.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                                Vanilla Ice, I would be very surprised if he wins in straight sets.
                                Ice isn't looking too happy. Down a set and the umpire is in his ear at the changeover. Make that a set and a break.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2783 users online. 4 members and 2779 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X