Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Heck of a match . Khachanov pushed Nadal to his limits. Liked Kachanov’s attitude. Never gave up. Came very close to beating him. Great mover, very hard flat shots off both wings.
    It was....a heck of a match. Nadal hacked, battered, defended, and fought like stink. It's such hard work. You how much longer can keep it up at that level.

You're right, Khachanov moves so well for a big man. He's extremely quick going forward which is actually a little unusual in today's tennis. His temperament was great and he certainly doesn't go away. As with all these types of players, it would be great to see more subtlety here and there.
    Stotty

Comment

Khachanov was really killing the ball off the forehand, which to me is an interesting technique. He seems to set the racquet to the outside(definately type 3) with no shoulder drop(pretty much straight back technique) and just wait there to throw the racquet head into the ball. He also to me does not have the racquet head above the hand(as Brian Gordon/Macci teach). It looks to be on the same level as the hand are maybe even below. And it looks to be a Jack Sock type western forehand grip.

Comment

Easy win for Roger. Such a shame Kyrgios is so thick. I mean really dense.

Roger read the Kyrgios serve better than he has ever done before. He just popped the ball back into play and let Kyrgios do the rest for him. Nothing special from Roger, just percentage tennis.

What I like about Roger, super talented though he is, he is prepared to suffer and grovel if needs be. We can't say the same for super dense Kyrgios...too arrogant for that.

The next round looks like a doddle for Roger.
        Last edited by stotty; 09-01-2018, 12:24 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Stroke - looked at Khachanov's FH in slow motion, looks like he does raise his elbow in the backswing and drops the shoulder to some degree but not nearly as much as Kyrgios or Sock. He definitely has the pre-acceleration into the flip that Brian Gordon talks about. What I find interesting, is how earlier in the backswing he lets go with his left hand and separates his arms. Not nearly as much as Gulbis but does to some extend.

Last edited by seano; 09-01-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
            Stroke - looked at Khachanov's FH in slow motion, looks like he does raise his elbow in the backswing and drops the shoulder to some degree but not nearly as much as Kyrgios or Sock. He definitely has the pre-acceleration into the flip that Brian Gordon talks about. What I find interesting, is how earlier in the backswing he lets go with his left hand and separates his arms. Not nearly as much as Gulbis but does to some extend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8cAUVGkU3I
            He does have some shoulder drop. No doubt he has a very violent flip. And he waits about as long as he can to do it kind of like Sock. I guess he is the new modern ATP type 3 Brian talks about.

Comment

Not much else to say about the mens draw. Roger, Nadal, and Novak just keep on showing us that they are the 3 greatest of all time, even though no further convincing is needed. Roger has really what appears to be for him almost a practive match vs MIllman, in route to Novak match. In fact, the oddsmakers have him at about a 96% chance of winning the match. Nadal, what a tough win 3rd round. Zverev, I would say this is his most disappointing exit from a Grand Slam.
              Last edited by stroke; 09-02-2018, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                Not much else to say about the mens draw. Roger, Nadal, and Novak just keep on showing us that they are the 3 greatest of all time, even though no further convincing is needed. Roger has really what appears to be for him almost a practive match vs MIllman, in route to Novak match. In fact, the oddsmakers have him at about a 96% chance of winning the match. Nadal, what a tough win 3rd round. Zverev, I would say this is his most disappointing exit from a Grand Slam.
                Both Kyrgios and Zverev were disappointing. Kyrgios rolled over like a wet lettuce after the first set and Zverev just wants it so badly he gets over anxious. He gets particularly anxious on his forehand, which is a major problem. His forehand isn't as secure as it needs to be.

That said, Zverev's backhand just gets better every time I see it. He is the most natural two-handed player you could ever wish to see and has the freest and loosest backhand on tour. It's a positively gorgeous shot. I think it's the most beautiful backhand out there and I'm including all the one-handers in that.

I am really enjoying Jim Courier's commentary on Amazon Prime. I like the inside seat knowledge he passes on to the public.
                Stotty

Comment

Don't mess with the cabbage patch kid. He has big eyes and a name that means cabbage clerk.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Both Kyrgios and Zverev were disappointing. Kyrgios rolled over like a wet lettuce after the first set and Zverev just wants it so badly he gets over anxious. He gets particularly anxious on his forehand, which is a major problem. His forehand isn't as secure as it needs to be.

That said, Zverev's backhand just gets better every time I see it. He is the most natural two-handed player you could ever wish to see and has the freest and loosest backhand on tour. It's a positively gorgeous shot. I think it's the most beautiful backhand out there and I'm including all the one-handers in that.

I am really enjoying Jim Courier's commentary on Amazon Prime. I like the inside seat knowledge he passes on to the public.
                    I agree about that bh. His time will come. I still think when it comes, the next ones will follow quickly.

Comment

I watched the last three sets of Cilic/deMinaur. Mesmerizing. Alex is only 19 and 152 lbs and looks it. I would love to have a month to teach him how to toss the ball and make a backswing so he could get his serve in. But you can't teach speed and I don't know if you can teach an attitude like this kid has. Doesn't quit. Best mental toughness I've seen of all the new kids on the block. In my book, definitely top 10 in 2 years, probably in 1 1/2, but getting into the top 5 is going to take some technical improvements and sometimes they just don't meet the right coach. But, boy, is he fun to watch!!

don

Comment

It would also be nice if he got some input from Rafter and Fitzgerald on how to put his speed to use getting to the net a lot more. With his quickness, he could get to the net a lot more if he learns how to use some old fashioned low slice approach shots and geometry of the court.

don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                          It would also be nice if he got some input from Rafter and Fitzgerald on how to put his speed to use getting to the net a lot more. With his quickness, he could get to the net a lot more if he learns how to use some old fashioned low slice approach shots and geometry of the court.

don
                          Yes he's a fabulous little workman. He is Kyrgios's opposite. He does so many things well. He's no mug at the net either and doesn't have that fear of it like Zverev and a few of the other new kids on the block have. But, yes, his attitude defines him and he reminds of another fairly decent player...Rafa someone or other I think his name is.
                          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8cAUVGkU3I
                            Originally posted by stroke View Post

He does have some shoulder drop. No doubt he has a very violent flip. And he waits about as long as he can to do it kind of like Sock. I guess he is the new modern ATP type 3 Brian talks about.
                            It's gets confusing when the ATP forehand gets morphed around. In the pure ATP forehand, of which Roger is the sole owner by all accounts, the hitting arm is on a diagonal and the racket head should be above and to the right of the hitting hand. It's considered a critical element. It's part of the muscle enhancement process that causes the arm to lag slightly behind, or at least that's the way I understand it.

With Khachanov and a few others we don't get racket head above but rather below the hitting hand. To me this seems a big fundamental difference and I am not sure what the trade offs are between the above and below methods.
                            Stotty

Comment

Anybody watching Fed. He doesn't look good. Not sure why.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                                Anybody watching Fed. He doesn't look good. Not sure why.
                                I'm hoping that he is playing it soft. Two sets to one...Millman. Maybe we will see the real Roger Federer.
                                don_budge
                                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2795 users online. 4 members and 2791 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X