Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he just can't play at the same level consistently anymore. It's not lack of heart. Just a slight drop that is physical. Can't beat father time forever.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      I'm hoping that he is playing it soft. Two sets to one...Millman. Maybe we will see the real Roger Federer.
      A mind game for Djokovic to sort out.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It is sort of strange that he is acting like he just doesn't care at this point.
        don_budge

Comment

Saving energy?

Comment

A mind game for all of us to ponder now.
            don_budge

Comment

I was really waiting for the FBI to show up and tell him his kids were rescued from the kidnappers and he could start to play for real and stop stalling. It made no sense at all. I've never seen Mirka looking down at her phone so much in a match that was in peril. Did you see the lack of expression from Robert? Something was very wrong. He was able to serve 122 right to the end and he was able to lunge for the passing shots he created by going in so much and on weak approach shots. It will be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

don

Comment

I didn't see the match because it was early hours over here. By all accounts the heat and humidity were terrible. Novak has also struggled twice with heat this US Open. At 37 years old we are probably asking too much. Quarter finals day is also set to be torridly hot.

I have never experienced high humidity coupled with extreme hit. My father worked in Brazil and said the heat and humidity were suffocating at times. Anyway, by all accounts they aren't conditions for older tennis players.

I feel sorry for Roger. People expect him to come good every single time.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  I didn't see the match because it was early hours over here. By all accounts the heat and humidity were terrible. Novak has also struggled twice with heat this US Open. At 37 years old we are probably asking too much. Quarter finals day is also set to be torridly hot.

I have never experienced high humidity coupled with extreme hit. My father worked in Brazil and said the heat and humidity were suffocating at times. Anyway, by all accounts they aren't conditions for older tennis players.

I feel sorry for Roger. People expect him to come good every single time.
                  The heat and humidity NY don't compare to Florida...or Brazil. I was there and some students of mine were there and it was not a problem for us Floridians.
                  Roger's match last night was sad. Millman played hard and kept it close. Fed had his chances no doubt but just could not capitalize. The greatest closer in tennis just looked human.
                  And as quickly as Federer is out of the tournament, so is my interest in the US Open. Djokovic and Nadal...it is now your show.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

-77 unforced errors in the match
                    -10 double faults - his second highest at the US Open and joint third at a Grand Slam
                    -49% of first serves - his second lowest percentage in 98 US Open matches and fifth lowest in 393 Grand Slam matches.

Producing stats like that, it's tough to win at any level. Federer was his own worst enemy.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

I cannot think of a bigger upset in mens Slam tennis.

Comment

We are all human, even Federer. Important is to move on....

Comment

I watched the post match interview live. Fed said the heat and humidity had him feeling like he couldn't breathe. That explains some of it, but it still seemed like he was making very strange choices.

don

Comment

It was hot for everyone. And BTW, the weather in NYC is an average day in the Houston area from June to September.

Summer tennis here is half fighting to want to stay out longer and half really playing tennis.

From September to May it is mostly about actually playing tennis.

Glad to see that even extremely well conditioned pros feel exactly the way I do.

Comment

Back to Fed.

I get that it was very hot and not comfortable but it was a night match and he has played these before.

From tennis.com
                              http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/...h-round/76681/

“I just thought it was very hot tonight,” explained Federer, who was drenched in sweat from the onset. “Was just one of those nights where I guess I felt I couldn't get air. There was no circulation at all. I don't know, for some reason I just struggled in the conditions tonight. It's one of the first times it's happened to me."

Federer added this: "At some point, also I was just happy that the match was over, I guess.”

Matt Damon said that training for the last Bourne movie left him in tears at the gym.

It was that much harder for him to get in the kind of shape that was not such a big deal in the first movie.

I wonder if Fed is starting to feel like Matt Damon. He knows how much work it takes to play at such a high level.

He is putting the same work and yet physically he is not the same.

I admire his will to keep fighting.

I just don't know how much his body can keep listening to his will.
                              Last edited by arturohernandez; 09-04-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                A mind game for all of us to ponder now.
                                I am not buying into this business of it being too hot or too anything. That was a really piss poor performance. I hate to say this, but it looked to me as if he threw the match. He served for the second set...that is a done deal. He had points to go up 5-2 in the fourth and somehow managed to fuck that up. I have been saying for a long time that this stuff is starting to resemble "Big-Time Wresting".

Just 48 hours earlier he faced down one of his biggest nemesis' on the tour and made him look like a frustrated hack. This guy was playing into his wheelhouse all day and he was muffing shot after shot. Totally overdoing the dropshot routine. Served how many first serves in? Double faulting twice in the tiebreak. The FBI? Give me a break. Tennis just got a black eye.

The interview after the Kyrgios match Federer was asked about being a role model with his behaviour. Well one match cannot destroy a career...but that image is going to stick for a while. Terrible...terrible...terrible. There are no words to describe just how poor of a performance that was. His opponent must have know how soft Federer was playing it.

I stopped watching the match with Kyrgios after the first set. I found that I was not that interested. I watched some of this match too and I did see the finish. All of the last set. That was a real stinker. Weather my ass. I am more inclined to believe tennis_chiro's comment about his children being kidnapped. Roger...that sucked. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it. How could you? What are you doing?
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8684 users online. 13 members and 8671 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X