Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice breaks back. At five all...tiebreak anyone? Listening to "Ice Ice Baby" while watching Ice. It seems appropriate.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Muchova Agresiva!

I could just not resist using a very mangled Spanish phrase.

A blueprint for what is missing in the women's game.

She may never be highly ranked but I finally saw a woman who tries to do different things.

Volleys, slices playing inside the court.

Muguruza was lost and looked awkward at best from inside the court.

Muchova looked great when attacking.

One final point, there is no doubt that more of the top women should play doubles.

Muchova was very good at finding angles or spots on the court where Muguruza could do nothing but watch the ball.

It was like seeing a glimpse of what a true all court female player would do today.

Watch the replay or the highlights if you get a chance.

Comment

Kyrgios is through in four, Roger is a set to the good against Benoire Paire. I am becoming optimistic Roger will be facing a game with the devil in round 3. No hiccups Roger...just get to round 3 as efficiently as possible.

Like McEnroe says: winning slams is all about efficiency.
        Stotty

Comment

Roger wins through. He was efficient enough but he isn't quite as good as he could be. Let's hope he fine tunes just in time for the match with the brat.
          Stotty

Comment

Fed looks fresher to me. I am hoping for the optimistic scenario. Federer is saving himself and will slowly ramp up when necessary.

But there is still a long way to go.

I have a feeling about Wawrinka but we will have to see how he looks as the week goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I would be surprised if Paire could win a set. Vanilla Ice, I would be very surprised if he wins in straight sets. Herbert has a very good serve, and ol Ice Baby has no problem giving away a set. I plan to watch some of both matches. Nick actually did not have a good serving day by his standard in the 1st round. Looking to 3rd round, tough draw as we all know for Fed. To me, Nick is one of only about 2, maybe 3 players who can beat Roger if Roger is at all close to his best form.
              Correct on both counts. Federer in straight sets and Kyrgios dorking around for a set. So who is favoured in the "Kingdom of Bookies"? What does it mean if it is 3-1 Kyrgios to Federer? Do I read that right...is that what the odds are?
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                I have a feeling about Wawrinka but we will have to see how he looks as the week goes on.
                You've gotta feeling and I have some questions. I wonder about his form really. But now we are going to get a true indication of where exactly he is at. Next up he faces big serving and big man with a two handed backhand playing like a retriever behind the baseline a vast majority of the time. Stan Wawrinka owns a 4-1 head to head against Milos Raonic and if he has reached a level near his past performance it is going to tell here.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Correct on both counts. Federer in straight sets and Kyrgios dorking around for a set. So who is favoured in the "Kingdom of Bookies"? What does it mean if it is 3-1 Kyrgios to Federer? Do I read that right...is that what the odds are?
                  That means one would have to bet $3 to win $1 if one were betting on Fed, the strong favorite. Or by percentage, the oddmakers have Fed at about a 75% chance of winning the match.
                  Last edited by stroke; 08-31-2018, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                    Muchova Agresiva!

She may never be highly ranked but I finally saw a woman who tries to do different things.

Volleys, slices playing inside the court.

Muguruza was lost and looked awkward at best from inside the court.

Muchova looked great when attacking.

One final point, there is no doubt that more of the top women should play doubles.

Muchova was very good at finding angles or spots on the court where Muguruza could do nothing but watch the ball.

It was like seeing a glimpse of what a true all court female player would do today.

Watch the replay or the highlights if you get a chance.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/ar..._muguruza.html
                    Funny you mentioned this. I was logging in to watch a men's match and this match wasn't over. The first point that I saw Muchova followed her serve to the net and played a serious scrambling wide to the forehand half volley off the return short to Muguruza. Muguruza moved in and tried to go back at the Muchova backhand side of the court but Muchova recovered and anticipated in time to knife a backhand volley behind Muguruza.

A very clever and instinctive play. I was impressed enough to watch a couple of more points and as you say...Muchova was playing a different game than the modern women...or the modern men for that matter. It's a game of geometry and the power of the player is in their control...the ability to dictate speed, spin and control. She defeated Muguruza in that very manner. She didn't just blow her off of the court...she manoeuvred her. Outmanoeuvred her for that matter.

Muguruza is very uncomfortable in the mid and forecourt. It is in the forehand grip...the men also have a difficult time making routine plays in the forecourt when the ball is below the net because they cannot adjust to the grip.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Funny you mentioned this. I was logging in to watch a men's match and this match wasn't over. The first point that I saw Muchova followed her serve to the net and played a serious scrambling wide to the forehand half volley off the return short to Muguruza. Muguruza moved in and tried to go back at the Muchova backhand side of the court but Muchova recovered and anticipated in time to knife a backhand volley behind Muguruza.

A very clever and instinctive play. I was impressed enough to watch a couple of more points and as you say...Muchova was playing a different game than the modern women...or the modern men for that matter. It's a game of geometry and the power of the player is in their control...the ability to dictate speed, spin and control. She defeated Muguruza in that very manner. She didn't just blow her off of the court...she manoeuvred her. Outmanoeuvred her for that matter.

Muguruza is very uncomfortable in the mid and forecourt. It is in the forehand grip...the men also have a difficult time making routine plays in the forecourt when the ball is below the net because they cannot adjust to the grip.
                      It was a thing of beauty!

Why more men and women don't try this is beyond me.

So many times I see players doomed playing the style that their opponent prefers rather than trying to do something else.

Sandgren ran out of steam but that is what he was doing to Djokovic and it got him a set.

Now imagine someone who had that ready built into their game and kept picking at a player.

In the women's game, I think an all court player would have even more success.

Here is hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

That means one would have to bet $3 to win $1 if one were betting on Fed, the strong favorite. Or by percentage, the oddmakers have Fed at about a 75% chance of winning the match.
                        The odds are about right. The 25% is spot on if the right Kyrgios turns up. I have a feeling he'll turn up.
                        Stotty

Comment

Nadal is a set down and 5-5. They are taking a roof break which should help Nadal, but he is by no means in control of the match so far. I would like to see him go two sets down then fight back. Nadal, like Borg, coming from two sets down is always a sight worth seeing.

Khachanov has played his socks off so far. I wonder if he can keep it up.
                          Stotty

Comment

One set all with Nadal and Khachanov. It's a great game. Nadal's forehand has been something else at key moments. Some the ones he pulled off down the line have been sensational.
                            Stotty

Comment

Nadal needed all of those fh's. Khachanov really was outhitting Nadal for the first set and 1/2, his fh really hurting Nadal. Nadal just did what he does like no other, just kept fighting for every point. No pep talk needed.

Comment

Heck of a match . Khachanov pushed Nadal to his limits. Liked Kachanov’s attitude. Never gave up. Came very close to beating him. Great mover, very hard flat shots off both wings.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2987 users online. 6 members and 2981 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X