Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post
    I didn't follow the second set.
    The score tells the story. Evans maintained pressure and fought off numerous break opportunities. Good tennis from both players.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Roger is playing well behind his serve so far, which is what he needs. Getting the serve to do the bulk of the work is what he needs here in the third. He just needs Evans to slip up behind his serve. Roger has sprayed a few shots here and there, though...slightly casual. Let's see what the next 10 minutes bring.

3-2 Roger.
      Stotty

Comment

Roger is becoming a little tired...loose mistakes...not quite getting in position. I make it even-stevens so long as Roger keeps holding serve.
        Stotty

Comment

4-4 in the third. A watchable match by any standards. Both players are shot-making brilliantly.
          Stotty

Comment

Roger 5-4 up. Needs just one inspired game to seal the deal.
            Stotty

Comment

5-5..I don't think Evans want to lose to a nearly 40 year old man...
              Stotty

Comment

Great performance from Roger. He couldn't have had a tougher opener against an opponent who is not overawed by anyone.
                Stotty

Comment

They don't call him "The Living Proof" for nothing.
                  don_budge

Comment

Had to step away, and only just finished the 3rd set delayed. Good match, thoroughly enjoyed it. Great backhand to win it. He's 39!!

Comment

Fed is still Fed, the overall all best tennis player skill set ever. His serve and forehand combo, best ever. His forehand. at least the 2nd best in tennis. But he is still 39, the best ever 39 year old.

Comment

All as good as it gets pro tennis men's matches tomorrow. What a great win by Fritz yesterday. Great tournament

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          They don't call him "The Living Proof" for nothing.
                          No, they don't. Once again...Roger Federer confirmed that at least the don_budge paradigm of teaching tennis ends well. The guy is absolutely "The Living Proof" which is over and above saying that he is the Greatest Of All Time...the GOAT. The problem that I have is the racquets...the illusion that they cast is just too far and just too wide. Roger would have been such a wonder with a Dunlop Maxply strung with VS (Victor Superb) gut. I know it in my heart. He would have looked so dashing in the all white clothes...not a stich out of place. Shirt tucked. Just like Don Budge himself so many years ago.

Goodness gracious! That match yesterday. It was if it was one for the ages and not just a somewhat meaningless ATP 250 event being played at some remote locations God knows where. His opponent did not disappoint and he too, confirmed the billing I have been giving him here on the forum for the fiesty little competitor and complete player that he is. Serving and volleying on a match point against...and pulling it off. I love this guy. He got himself in a bit of a snit some years ago. Well...who hasn't I ask you? But he has pulled himself up by the sneaker laces and made a game of it. Did you see that lady in his corner? Some conciliation.

It is so beautiful to be proven absolutely correct beyond a shadow of a doubt. As much as I rag on modern tennis. As much as I rag on modern life. I'm self aware. I know what I sound like. But that is my fate...the voice in the wilderness. It doesn't make me happy to be the bearer of bad news. But that match was absolutely watchable from the warmup to the final awesome backhand winner on match point. Everything in between. Sort of like connecting the dots from William Tilden in the 1920's all the way to yesterday when Roger Federer took to the court after a year away from the game. Over a year. He comes back and delivers a masterpiece.

It wasn't perfect by any means and that is half of the beauty of it. He didn't have the old "A" game by any stretch of the imagination. He shanked so many balls. Yet it never made him frown. He just made this wry grin and went to the next point. If only it were that easy. If only we could live our lives like that. It's all there for us. Just keep plugging. The world has been in a sham lockdown for God knows why and this guy comes out and stage and pulls bunny after bunny out of the hat. Sheer entertainment. Not a single tennis player on the circuit can hold a candle to that. Not a single up and comer with a snow balls chance in hell. He only reminds us that the game is doomed. It is a sham. Just like the pandemic and the vaccinations. Ahhhh...tennis metaphoring life.

I cannot say enough about Daniel Evans too for his part in the show. What a performance he put on only to be knifed by two of the most beautiful backhands you could ever hope to see. The first on set point in the first and the second on match point in the third. Evans stretched the "Old Maestro" as far as he could stretch. He tested his backhand. He tested his forehand. He tested him in the forecourt and in the backcourt. He matched him serve for serve. I was a bit surprised how effective the serve was...even the second serve. His pugnacious attitude. The rat terrier that wouldn't let go. It was never in the bag until the very end. But in the end...the old champion had that glint in his eye. He smelled the finish line. The old legs might have been creaking. The knee might have been a touch shaky. But he smelled it and the last couple of game he smelled it and he wasn't going to be denied. To Roger it might have seemed like a Wimby final. Because in his heart of a champion he had to have what was his. He had waited too long to test his resolve. He once again proved that he is in fact don_budge's "Living Proof". Made the old man proud!
                          don_budge

Comment

I did see the girl in his corner.

Comment

I only saw the third set in Roger's match but it was impressive. His level of aggression was terrific and his movement seemed pretty good. I hardly saw him defend once so it is difficult to assess his speed across an expanse of the court. His footwork was wanting at times and he shanked a lot of balls in that last set but these are things he can work and improve on. As always, his amazing serve made everything possible. He became the slight underdog in the third set but he concentrated on holding serve and waiting for the sniff of a break.

He did get tired in the third set and that, you would think, will be a problem going forward. He is 39. Tough matches in the slams might be a hurdle too far.

But my goodness, to play so well at 39 is exceptional. Only Gonzales, Rosewall and Connors have been similarly successful at an advanced age.

It was a great match to watch and Evans played a big part in that. Another Brit with a great sliced backhand and a good idea how to volley. The Brits were once criticised for developing all round players in an era where concentrating on ground shots was, and still is, all the rage. Cocky beggar...but good to watch.
                              Stotty

Comment

"cocky beggar" ha, with a hot girlfriend. I am watching Taylor Fritz now. He seems to be throwing his hat in the ring to challenge Tsitsipas for the most attractive pro tennis player.
                                Last edited by stroke; 03-11-2021, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8021 users online. 6 members and 8015 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X