No announcement yet.

2021 Qatar ExxonMobil Open...ATP 250...Doha, Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bash just kind of bullied Fed out there. I don't think I have ever seen Fed bullied like that except vs Nadal on clay. That's just the way it is.

Comment

On an unrelated side note, Bash also had a hot girl in his player box.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        On an unrelated side note, Bash also had a hot girl in his player box.
        What tennis player doesn't. It's the one and only area Roger fell short.
        Stotty

Comment

Thought Roger was going to nick that match. He's so good at biding his time and nicking matches. Early days in Roger's comeback. It's a stunning start after more than a year out of the game.
          Stotty

Comment

RBA and Thiem in a war of attrition 1st set. Thiem's kick serve for a non giant to the ad court is about as good as it gets.

Comment

Not as easy on the eye as the match before but a fierce contest nonetheless. The first set could go either way and looks like we are heading for a tie-break. Not too much to see other than endless top quality baseline rallies.
              Stotty

Comment

RBA wins 1st in tiebreaker. Theim is not winning many 2nd serve points, and he is simply making too many bh errors in contrast to rock solid RBA bh. Definitely a hard hat match.
                Last edited by stroke; 03-11-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I would put the Goblin as the favorite to win this tournament. He is rested at this point and I love how he hugs the baseline a la Agassi to apply pressure. He is clearly a way better mover than Andre was though.

Comment

A brutally physical battle out there. RBA (like chewing gum stuck to your shoe as usual) is prepared to stay out there all night if he has to. I believe he has a superior head to head versus Thiem.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                      A brutally physical battle out there. RBA (like chewing gum stuck to your shoe as usual) is prepared to stay out there all night if he has to. I believe he has a superior head to head versus Thiem.
                      So spot on. RBA is a pro's pro who has absolutely gotten all he can out of his potential. He is kind of like a gatekeeper type to the very top of the game. He is an example of what is possible. And now he has Rublev. Another hard hat match. If I were Thiem's coach, the first change I would make is no more run around forehands. Just gives up to much court to me. Gasquet the template there for 1 handers to me.
                      Last edited by stroke; 03-11-2021, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Marseille has some good matches today also, highlighted by Medvedev vs Sinner. I am looking for Fritz to get through to the final in Doha, probably against Rublev.

Comment

Rublev looking strong favourite and should have the firepower to hit RBA off.
                          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            Thought Roger was going to nick that match. He's so good at biding his time and nicking matches. Early days in Roger's comeback. It's a stunning start after more than a year out of the game.
                            I thought Fed looked good. His movement is just unreal. I mean even at close to 40 and with one year off the tour, he still looks great. The only issue is how much he can play back to back. In some ways, I think the French might be the least draining because it is softer. The uneasy footing will make it harder for the others to beat him. He would need to catch a break and have some of the better players beat each other up.

Wimbledon seems primed for him. He has more experience than almost the entire field on grass. But again, he will have to catch a break. Not sure that he could beat Djokovic at Wimbledon or Nadal at RG.

But as uncle Toni said, "You cannot beat the best player of all time. But if you can create doubt..."

Even the greatest can blink and with Federer having literally nothing to lose at this point could prevail. A la Sampras...

Comment

Rublev seemed to be struggling for breath at times against RBA - something not quite right? He also dashed over for a drink at deuce in one of the last games, which is unusual. For a while I was thinking that after receiving two walkovers into the semis, he was going to retire!

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                                Rublev seemed to be struggling for breath at times against RBA - something not quite right? He also dashed over for a drink at deuce in one of the last games, which is unusual. For a while I was thinking that after receiving two walkovers into the semis, he was going to retire!
                                Well, it was remarkably easy week for Rublev. Lost two routine sets and cops 36k. Not bad work if you can get it.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8005 users online. 7 members and 7998 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X