This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stotty,

Yep it fills up...will email Jeff again.

John

Comment

• Henman all good.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Henman all good.
        Good my end too!
        Stotty

Comment

• Working on Lindsay but notice the approach sequences are working which probably includes most of the (few) volleys we have for her.

Comment

• Associated technique question...

I notice from the archive that the oldies who have lateral pinpoint stances take the racket off significantly to the right (left for a lefty) as they commence the swing.

Is this an associated technique (where's Doug when you need him!) or is it just coincidental to the serves in the archive?

Federer and others with platform stances tend not to do this, or at least not so acutely. Is this because taking the racket off to the outside of the body doesn't suit the stance as much?

I really need to look at Tsonga's serve so hurry and fix those clips...
            Stotty

Comment

• Good question...I have no idea. Send me some other clips of this if you can find them.

Comment

Good question...I have no idea. Send me some other clips of this if you can find them.
                Of the oldies there is just what's in the archive. But Nastase, Newcombe, Roche all take the racket out way to the right fairly soon after the swing commences. All the lateral pinpoints seem to do it. That said, so does David Ferrer...and his back foot starts way left of the front one before going to pinpoint.

I'll check out the entire archive and post the results. Might take a week or two.

I am going to call a modern server one who has the toe of back foot inline with the heel of the front foot or beyond. Most oldies are one foot directly behind the other.
                Stotty

Comment

• Great. Will look forward to it.

Comment

• Women with straight arm forehands

This may seem a daft question because I don't follow women's tennis all that much. Are there any women who use a straight arm forehand or are they all double bend? The archive seems loaded with double benders.
                    Last edited by johnyandell; 03-24-2015, 08:24 PM.
                    Stotty

Comment

• Stosur, but we don't have her up, yet. It's a good question! And the bigger question, why? Brian Gordon has some teenage girls that smoke it.

Comment

Stosur, but we don't have her up, yet. It's a good question! And the bigger question, why? Brian Gordon has some teenage girls that smoke it.
                        Interesting. I don't think it is ATP 3 related because I use a straight arm forehand and am not ATP 3. It might take some explaining...
                        Stotty

Comment

• Wait a minute. How could I forget this!

Comment

Wait a minute. How could I forget this!

http://www.tennisplayer.net/bulletin...ead.php?t=2075
                            Yes, she hits one fully straight; the rest mildly bent. Online there are matches where she appears mostly bent (though the bend isn't as pronounced as most women).

It's strange women women tend to have less advanced mechanics than men (and not just on the forehand) and yet BG and Macci tell us these things aren't strength related...doesn't make sense in some ways.

And where is the article about the grips? You know the numbered bevels, etc....can't find it?
                            Last edited by stotty; 03-26-2015, 06:58 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

• Yeah it's interesting. I have seen and filmed Brian's and Rick's juniors. Those kids hit it great. But it's a long way from being pretty good in the Florida juniors to number one in the world and the talent part is something those guys (and everyone else) can't coach.

I bet however that we will start to see it eventually on the tour. Is it ultimately superior? Will it become dominant? Can't answer those.
                              Last edited by johnyandell; 03-26-2015, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• I was reading this article and get what it is saying.

I guess someone like McEnroe backs the article up in a way because he has virtually no wrist lay back and as such his shots appear wristless. That said, he is unique and has exceptional timing...he's very gifted after all. No one else has ever done this since, and when I try (persevered for weeks) I get no power at all.

Are we sure the wrist isn't responsible for any power?
                                Last edited by stotty; 04-03-2015, 02:32 PM.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2674 users online. 14 members and 2660 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X