Both good.
      Not many would argue with that

Comment

• "Best" or "Better" doesn't really apply

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          "Best" or "Better" doesn't really apply
          How about great? <g>

I'm cross posting this from Sinner TPN tour portrait thread since it's relevant here, ATP ratings of Jannik Sinner's forehand from today in Rome VS TK4.

filedata/fetch?id=100737&d=1683917360&type=thumb
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 05-12-2023, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

How about great? <g>

I'm cross posting this since it's relevant here, ATP ratings of Jannik Sinner's forehand from today in Rome VS TK4.

filedata/fetch?id=100737&d=1683917360&type=thumb
            That may be a record for quality off that side. It was unbelievable. He is so loose and explosive off that side. As good as Alcaraz' fh is, it does not seem as unbelievably explosive as Sinners. I saw that match today. It was something. Kokkanakis had no chance.

Comment

• OK not bad!

Comment

• John, what do you think of Daniil Medvedev's "split grip" backhand? Is it an odd quirk he overcomes with skill or does it give him some advantage ?

Reminds me of the tour portrait we did of Kei Nishikori, who changed grips constantly, but would get this wide a split on high balls, such as returning Rafa's kick serve. But Kei would hit a standard ATP backhand on anything from his waist down.

Kei's change to split grip is in image number 11 here:

Apart from the grip, he's also in a grouping with Cam Norrie, Nick Kyrgios, and perhaps Adrian Mannanrino (although he's a special case, because his strokes compensate for his wrist injury). All buck the trend by having extremely flat take backs and swings -- and resulting wall-like backhands. (continued)

filedata/fetch?id=101036&d=1685898830&type=thumb

Photo note; For the subset of readers that are into photography. This photo's almost painting like tone is a case of making lemonade when you're handed lemons. For several matches at IW this year, dusk's darkness coinciding with rain clouds moving in, made the light grey, flat, and muddy. So, I increased the contrast on large borders and then to compensate for the noise from shooting at high ISO, cranked up the noise reduction. In this particular photo, I overdid both to an extreme, which creates the cartoon-like texture.

This month's Tour Portrait on Medy is at this link. (c)jfawcette
                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 06-04-2023, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Let's just say BG is not going to be studying that quantitatively and teaching it. Or even Patrick M for that matter.

Comment

• Stroke agreed...

Jim,
                    He's not the first to choke up and spread the hands. But look at that bottom hand grip!

Comment

Stroke agreed...

Jim,
                      He's not the first to choke up and spread the hands. But look at that bottom hand grip!
                      It's almost like a ping-pong "pen grip".

Stroke: Good Mouratoglou​ snark but I wouldn't be sure <g>.

Comment

• Malisse was way more separated than Meddy. The most I have ever witnessed on a tour player: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports...-open/1911939/
                        Stotty

Comment

• Stotty good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            Malisse was way more separated than Meddy. The most I have ever witnessed on a tour player: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports...-open/1911939/
                            Ah, yes X-Man! Good call! Saw him team with Dolgopolov to beat Fed/Wawrinka in doubles final in Indian Wells. Dog's now dodging artillery, sadly.

Also, saw Malisse several times at the late-lamented SAP / San Jose open as in this ancient picture below. I think I took this with a pinhole camera or some such in 11 BC ( Before Covid or 2011 AD). Played with what seemed like an enormous Prince snowshoe at the time. Doesn't look so big to me now

But my question isn't whether this is new, but whether it offers some advantage that is overlooked in the rush to make two-handed backhands hit topspin like forehands.

Whenever there is a trend, a counter-trend eventually develops. NBA started switching defenders across every position, driving offenses crazy. So, now we have centers shooting 3 pointers over guards who look up hopelessly.

Watched Djokovic, who many claim has the best backhand of all time, run into these guys with the flat strokes and have his weapon nullified. When Medvedev beat Novak in the US Open final, Novak got zero leverage out of resorting to his get-out-of-jail-free card, the cross-court backhand rally. Wall of Med {thanks Stroke?) beat him at his own game. Flat stroke has little to go wrong. Split grip seems to help with low balls, historically the two-handers achilles heel?

{Again, Kygrios does this to Novak and more so to Rafa's lefty forehand, but without the spread grip.}

Yup, split grip backhand, Pleistocene edition. Hey, his man-ban is also making a comeback on tour ! ! !

filedata/fetch?id=101077&d=1686072710&type=thumb
                            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 06-06-2023, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Well there is less reach by a couple of inches. Wouldn't teach it, but not sure there is an answer to the question.

Comment

Well there is less reach by a couple of inches. Wouldn't teach it, but not sure there is an answer to the question.
                                Ok, thanks. Regardless, I like variety. If everyone plays the same, tennis would less interesting.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7593 users online. 2 members and 7591 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X