This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    God thanks I hate YouTube so much I don't even know the steps to take--thousands of views!
    You must police your copyright. I can help. 510-621-3163 Martyn

Comment

• OK will give you a call...

Comment

• Are "Classic Lessons" old? Murphys forehand position says "Just before the forward rotation of the shoulders, the wrist should be locked into a laid back position", this sounds an awful lot like the myth exposed last month "The idea that players consciously create "lag" is an illusion."
        Worse, the instruction insists that this isn't natural but rather you must "lock" it in:
        "The moment before the forward swing begins it is essential to lock your wrist and elbow in position. Lay the wrist back at an approximately 90 degree angle to the forearm, and bend the elbow so that another 90 degree angle is formed between the forearm and the upper arm. Maintaining this position to the point of impact and well beyond is a must, because it steadies the racquet head as it collides with the ball. The key to maintaining the locked in position is "to let the handle lead the strings".

Seems pretty clear from your video -- in particular with Federer -- that the lag is a consequence not a conscious action.

Comment

• Classics are classics from the archives--there is so much good material that I bring out an article or two every month. You ask good querstions. But. as a teaching concept for learning the basics teaching the laid back wrist is really the way to go.

Comment

• I see. I guess I can understand now laying back the wrist is OK as an early fundamental, since one needs to get that "feel." Having never been taught that way, it feels odd to me. Though when I get it going, it's definitely a result not an action and what I imagine is a looser flow -- so even the work "locked" conjures up the wrong feeling to me.

Comment

• Well the latest research shows top players actually inhibit the flex to control the shot line. I have had tremendous luck using the exact images in Scott's article. Better less flex than too much and the feeling of pushing through the ball with the wrist laid back is powerful.

Comment

• John -

Question - I received an email from an ATP/WTA certified coach trying to promote his camps and he gave a tip on the serve. Wanted to get your thoughts on the advise and give an observation from looking at your high speed archives on serves. The serve tip was - to achieve greater external rotation of the hitting shoulder, in "full racquet drop" try to keep the elbow higher then the hand and to swing up with the elbow, not the hand. He mentions use of relaxation and flexibility exercises to help achieve this. What are your thoughts on this advise?

My observation from your archives is that the pro's who keep the racquet more on edge in the racquet drop (Djokovic, Dimitrov, Wawrinka), tended to be able to get the elbow above the hand. While pro's who had the racquet face pointing up towards the sky in the racquet drop (Federer, Sharapova) did not achieve the elbow above the hand. Other pro's brought the racquet face back at about a 45% angle (Nadal, Murray), they didn't seem to get the elbow above the hand either. Any thoughts?

Best view of the serves seems to be a side view with the servers back to the camera.

Sean
                Last edited by seano; 09-16-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Seano,
                  Had a hard time following. Can you post links from the hs archive??

Comment

• John -

Unable to upload images, sorry. Back to the main question.

The serve tip was - to achieve greater external rotation of the hitting shoulder, in "full racquet drop" try to KEEP ELBOW HIGHER THAN YOUR HAND. He mentions use of relaxation and flexibility exercises to help achieve this. What are your thoughts on this advise?

Sean

Comment

• Uh, OK sure. I looked at Isner and the elbow is slightly higher. Novak also. Roddick also. Fed looks about even. Have a feeling that it's related to shoulder flexibility. I wouldn't put it at the top of list of fundamentals though. The cherry on top at best.
                      Last edited by johnyandell; 09-25-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• John

In the old forum, posters could delete their own threads. I am sure I remember deleting a thread once. In the current forum I cannot find the option to do this...don_budge can't either. Is there a way to do it?

It's probably quite important a person can delete a thread if they want to.
                        Stotty

Comment

• You guys can delete any post. Threads if they need to be deleted we can discuss and if they need to be, they will!

Comment

• I've been working on the forehand extension progression and finishing with the racquet on edge definitely helped. I found it more natural to do this when the ball was in my strike zone but when facing a heavier ball that came in higher I had trouble visualizing how to finish in the same way. I'm either launching the ball long or resorting to an old habit of short-arming a windshield wiper motion. Thoughts on the higher/heavy ball in terms of the forehand swing path and finishing with the racquet on edge?

Comment

• Just visualize hitting up with a really full swing. This is also where the wiper finish comes in as in the article in Advanced Tennis regardless of grip. Match the force of the incoming ball.

Comment

• Aside from "hitting up" is there any part of the forward swing that should be consciously controlled (e.g. wrist lag, grip strength, racquet face position, etc.), or visualized? Trying to better understand the balance between what I should focus on vs. what just naturally happens if you execute specific fundamentals properly.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8600 users online. 12 members and 8588 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X