Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are supposed to put him on your ignore list.

Comment

• Which one is true continental?

I refer to these articles on the backhand slice:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ing_Grips.html

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...and_slice.html

In the photo in Scott's article, the heel of the hand is not plumb on bevel one. The photo may not be ideal to view this precisely, but nevertheless you can still ascertain by looking at the hand that the heel pad must be breaching bevel 2 also.

In Kerry's photo the heel pad in definitely plumb on bevel 1. Again the photo doesn't provide a definitive view but you can see there is difference between one man's version of the grip and another man's.

I am guessing Scott's version is correct because you can also hit a forehand drive with that grip whereas with Kerry's version you are going to struggle. I say this because, back in the day, many players used a continental and nothing else, hence they must have used Scott's version.

If I had to single out the most determining feature of a grip, it would be the heel pad.

So what is the true continental grip? It has to be Scott's, right? Kerry's would be more apt for the serve, smash and backhand volley?
      Stotty

Comment

• Stotty,
        Great question... I think that as long as we use terms like "Continental" there will always be slight differences in definition. Kerry's view to me is slightly stronger as you say than Scott's. You can hit a slice with either but I like the slightly less strong version.

My analysis:

Comment

• In 'The Lessons of Pancho Segura' can you slow that clip down at the bottom of the article. It's running like a Charlie Chaplin movie on steroids.

Sorry ignore this message. it seems to running at normal speed now...weird.
          Last edited by stotty; 07-08-2018, 01:45 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

• Hey they play at high speed!

Comment

• Hi John,
              I had an idea that it might be very useful to the viewer, like me, who likes to browse through videos and lessons, to be able to add a bookmarks or add the page to a list of "favorites" so that when I want to return to the video I can just look it up at my marked sites -- rather than remembering where I found it -- but I don't know if and how this might be done since I am no techy. Its just a thought

Comment

• Good thought. We are in the middle of a big conversion to a friendlier mobile so not something we can think about now. Why not just copy the url and past it somewhere though?

Comment

• Right, hadn't thought about that .

Comment

• John

If a player closes the stance on a backhand, does it give greater power than one struck off a neutral stance, due to more coiling and rotation? I realise stances are situational but just wondered which gives the greater payload on a backhand.
                    Stotty

Comment

• Apparently yes. You see elite players work hard to create that cross over closed stance and you can actually see more hip and shoulder rotation in the high speed videos. As Kerry has pointed out though lower level players should work on the outside leg set up and coiling-- and then they are in great position to step neutral with great alignment and effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                        Stotty,
                        Great question... I think that as long as we use terms like "Continental" there will always be slight differences in definition. Kerry's view to me is slightly stronger as you say than Scott's. You can hit a slice with either but I like the slightly less strong version.

My analysis:
                        https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...n_pro_slice_2/
                        It's a good article, thank you.

I have a girl whose heel pad is edging towards bevel 8. It seems to inhibit a correct, flowing follow-through. Do find this is the case with players you've come across?
                        Stotty

Comment

• I would agree with you. Too far.

Comment

• John -

Is there an affordable device that measures rpm (spin rates) on shots like the pocket radar does for mph?

Comment

• You can do it with a casio or other high speed camera that records at 240 frames and has a shutter. But you have to manually count the rotations and do a little algebra. I do it all the time. Although Play Sight comes up with rotation output when Brian and I tested it against the camera it was correct or close on maybe 50-60% of shots only

Comment

• Thanks

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8080 users online. 6 members and 8074 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X