• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not at all!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpremsagar View Post
      Contact Point for Volleys and Slice?

Hi John, a question about contact points. I've been taking aggressive swings for backhand slice with very frustrating results. Despite the shot making more than 50% errors in my practice I have been committed to fast swings hoping one day it will all fall into place. Simply didn't work. Either I dump into the net or the ball sails long.

Then I read Scott Murphy's article about backhand slice. He mentions that the contact point needs to be a little later than it is for ground strokes. So, I tried 'pulling' the contact point to behind my front foot whereas it was in front of my front foot before. I have only practiced once after making this change but the results are very encouraging.

But now, I'm not sure about the volleys. Since the backhand volley is arguably just a mini backhand slice, where should the contact point be? In front of the front foot or behind the front foot? Same question about the forehand volley as well.
      Down the line volleys definitely will require a contact behind the front foot and is critical to timing longer backswing volleys at the “T”. The same is true for the offensive drive slice. Both require, however that follow through maintains a carving follow through a locked wrist, with racket plane that is downward,forwardand carve ups or the downward,sideways and carve up on low ball driving slices. ( see Herman versus Federer).

Comment

• Well said.

Comment

• Logged in and went to past issues for the September 2020 issue. Looking for David Hagler's part 1. But instead of the 2020 issue the September 2019 came up. August 2020 was fine.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Thanks! We fix that but in the meantime just replace 2019 with 2020 in the Url

Comment

• Hi John, question about serve toss today. Long story short, I have invested enormous effort to incorporate the right to left toss. One example of my investment : Driving 3 hours one way to the "Paradise Court" for a session with "Scott Murphy" on serve fundamentals mainly the toss.

The right to left toss will probably never work for me. I just don't have that control in my left arm. I've been trying this for 6 years - it's time to give up.

My analysis is this. In the 3D space, a good toss should have the perfect values of x, y and z. If z is the contact height, a bad toss could have the 4 possiblilties.
              1 Too much left of x
              2 Too much right of x
              3 In front of y
              4 Behind y

In addition I need to learn 2 different placements, one for first serve and one for second serve. I don't think I'll ever master the 2 placements if I keep trying the right to left trajectory.

7 years ago when everything else about my serve was sub-optimal, I used a "straight up and down" motion and I could place the serve toss exactly where I wanted for both first and second serves.
              Now, I followed your teaching system and I have a great understanding of all your mechanics but I can't put it all together because I cannot place the toss where it needs to be despite wanting it so much.

The straight up and down toss leaves only 2 possibilities for a bad toss. Since the right to left arc is minimized, we take out possibilities 1 and 2 that I have mentioned before.
              There is less chance of error. Targeting is easier.

On the pro tour, Nadal doesn't have much of the sideward arc. Del Potro barely has it. I ran through your entire pro player archive yesterday analyzing lots of serve tosses and there is a wide range of sidewardness for various players. Andy Murray seems to be the extreme on the other end.

The only danger I can think with this kind of toss is that my shoulders could open up too much too early and I could lose spin. What if I consciously close my shoulders after releasing the ball? Would I not be able to compensate? Are there any other dangers?
              Last edited by dpremsagar; 10-14-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• I think you are making the right decision. Works for Del Potro. You might look at him in the Archives.

Comment

• Hi John. I videoed myself serving and I have found that I have a significant bend in my elbow at contact with the ball.
                  I'm working on correcting it.

I understand the elbow needs to be straightened before contact.

Is it enough if the elbow just "looks straight" or should the arm be so straight that I feel my elbow locking up before the racquet contacts the ball?

Comment

• The elbow joint should be fully extended for sure. Some people's arms have a slight curve between upper and lower arm though. Go up to contact with your arm as straight as it gets and take a picture of that. Then video yourself and compare.

Comment

• @JY sorry to take the lazy man's way out, but is there any content on the main site on the slice serve?

Working on a project.

J

Comment

• search the dennis ralston article. Personally I don't think there is such a thing--all amatter of degree. Look at my article on serve placements for the 4 corners of Fed's serve. It's in Advanced Tennis.

Comment

• Hi John...I sent you a private message and wonder if you received it?
                          don_budge

Comment

• Just read it. I will check into it. But none of that back on the site please.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                              Just read it. I will check into it. But none of that back on the site please.
                              Thanks John. I respect your wishes...as always!
                              don_budge

Comment

• OK then.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9229 users online. 10 members and 9219 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X