No announcement yet.

2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal plays every point as if it is the last of his life, Fed does the same in his on easy on the eye effortless way. Medvedev may be their their apparent in this regard. Medvedev is not a best ever type like those 2 but he is great for tennis.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Nadal plays every point as if it is the last of his life, Fed does the same in his on easy on the eye effortless way. Medvedev may be their their apparent in this regard. Medvedev is not a best ever type like those 2 but he is great for tennis.
      Well I did say it might not be straightforward as folk were saying. I watched the first two sets and went to bed as it was late over here. I'll watch the other three sets later today.

Unlike the other pretenders, Medvedev does deep down believe in himself. That makes all the difference in my book. As usual, though, Rafa finds a way to win and now has a credible four US titles to his name. If he stays healthy he might just pip Roger at the post for the GOAT title. In fact, if I was betting man.....
      Stotty

Comment

• It was so good to see someone go all in and actually take Nadal to his absolute limit. I would not have thought it possible for someone to do that in a major down 2 sets to love to Nadal. Cannot help but really like that guy.

Comment

It was so good to see someone go all in and actually take Nadal to his absolute limit. I would not have thought it possible for someone to do that in a major down 2 sets to love to Nadal. Cannot help but really like that guy.
          Federer out with a bad back, Djokovic with a bum shoulder, Nadal barely survives after being two sets up. I think we are slowly seeing age catch up to the big three. I feel like this match might be the tide finally turning. Like Mac losing to Borg in five sets at Wimbledon. The next year Mac wins in four sets. Borg loses the US open and suddenly the tide turns.

I am not sure Medvedev will win multiple majors. But I can see a new period when a number of players take their shots at beating the older guard. Nadal only had to play one five set match. If someone else had been there to test him in the semis, he would have run out of gas.

As it is he barely clung to life in the fifth.

Next time, Medvedev will not let him off the hook.

This match made me believe that it all comes down to persistence. The willingness to just keep going and stay out there as long as possible.

Few people have that and Medvedev has it in spades. You could even hear him talk about how he thought he was going to lose and began preparing his speech. How he wondered what they would have put up on the screen had he won (they put up 19 pictures for Nadal, one for each major). Tennis is about fighting for him. It is not about winning. He even admitted his mistakes in previous matches. Acknowledged that he had caused some of the problems.

He also has versatility. He tried everything to win points. None of this is robo play. Throw everything at someone and then if it is not your day its not your day. Try different things.

That is the famed belief. That no matter what it is okay to lose as long as a player leaves it all out on the court.

No one likes to lose. But the great champions have to accept that sometimes you leave it all out there and you lose.

But if you never leave it all out there, you can do it again. And if you keep doing it, eventually you will be rewarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error View Post
            Did the other two officials at the Open last year who also enforced the same no coaching rule also want to make it about themselves? Or were they taking their jobs seriously?

The former top chair umpire and the former head of officiating for the International Tennis Federation said Ramos has been consistent his entire career. I think Serena actions were shameful. 1000% wrong. Its interesting that players like Serena and Kyrgios only blow up and attack the umpire, linesmen and ball boys when they're losing.
            i think it's about the lack of transparency ahead of time, that was an main issue... some refs are strict, some aren't... the umps need to get on the same page, and be consistent.
            this us open they were much more transparent about what they will be strictly enforcing, and consistent about.

let's take the shot clock rule... imagine if there was no shot clock, and delays in serving time were never enforced (ie. especially after a long point, but in general)... then "all of sudden" they started penalizing nadal for taking too long to serve... there would be a similar controversy. yes the rule has always existed, but if it's never enforced, it might as well not exist if it's only going to be intermittently applied.

same applies for raising kids, or dogs, or whatever... consistency in training is key... intermittent application of rules is no bueno.

Comment

• Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post

i think it's about the lack of transparency ahead of time, that was an main issue... some refs are strict, some aren't... the umps need to get on the same page, and be consistent.
              this us open they were much more transparent about what they will be strictly enforcing, and consistent about.

let's take the shot clock rule... imagine if there was no shot clock, and delays in serving time were never enforced (ie. especially after a long point, but in general)... then "all of sudden" they started penalizing nadal for taking too long to serve... there would be a similar controversy. yes the rule has always existed, but if it's never enforced, it might as well not exist if it's only going to be intermittently applied.

same applies for raising kids, or dogs, or whatever... consistency in training is key... intermittent application of rules is no bueno.

I do not think it is about lack of transparency. I think it was all about Serena's completely unacceptable behavior. The aftermath, the ref being told he cannot umpire any matches with Serena or Venus, was also an error as makes it look as if Serena's behavior was somehow ok, which it was not.
              Last edited by stroke; 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• People don't alway appreciate how much Nadal has developed his game. Sure, sometimes he reverts to the same old, same old, but really when you break down (I am currently starting the fifth set) much of yesterday's final, it's quite striking how often Nadal is prepared to move into the net and how very successful he is at it. He moves in incredibly quickly to seize on easy balls to kill...sometimes setting off to do so from very deep in the court. He does that better than anyone on the tour. Rallies are generally much shorter than they used to be and he is a good deal more aggressive. His all round game is now very impressive. Other than some loss of foot speed, he is a much better player than he was in even his mid twenties.

I loved Connors' quote about Nadal: "Even at the stage of his career, he plays like he's broke".
                Stotty

Comment

• And his overhead is one of the very best(if not the best) out there. He never misses it it seems no matter how difficult.

Comment

• I have the feeling we are on the verge of an era for the ATP to how the WTA is today. No real dominant player. What happened to Zerev, Thiem, Tsitsipas and co? Medvedev might be a higher level...

Comment

• Nadal is incredible. He may have his quirks and his liberal use of time between points, and anything else you want to accuse him of...but the guy does not take a point off. You cannot fake his hustle. Phenomenal Final. Medvedev played like a grand slam champion. Problem solved, competed, raised his game and fought til' the bitter end. He handled himself with grace and humility during the trophy ceremony.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

I do not think it is about lack of transparency. I think it was all about Serena's completely unacceptable behavior. The aftermath, the ref being told he cannot umpire any matches with Serena or Venus, was also an error as makes it look as if Serena's behavior was somehow ok, which it was not.
                        there are 2 parts to this convo
                        #1 inconsistent application of rules
                        #2 whether serena's ressponse was over the top

if my integrity were being questioned (ie. did i intentionally cheat?), i'd have fought like hell, as well, to defend myself if i was innocent.

Comment

And his overhead is one of the very best(if not the best) out there. He never misses it it seems no matter how difficult.
                          Yes that has been an incredible shot since the start of his career. When I saw him live at Wimbledon, his smash took my breath away. He's so muscular and athletic the way he can back peddle and jump up for a smash. He can get up so high. He can hang in the air for a split second too. Stunningly good shot to watch live.

Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            I have the feeling we are on the verge of an era for the ATP to how the WTA is today. No real dominant player. What happened to Zerev, Thiem, Tsitsipas and co? Medvedev might be a higher level...
                            Let's hope not. The game's not as good without dominant players who become household names. Let's hope Medvedev is the start of a new generation of players.

The tour finals will be interesting. I wonder if Medvedev can stamp his mark. I can see him winning a hatful of slams if he can manage the media's expectations.
                            Stotty

Comment

• One big difference I think prevents him from ever joining the 3 greatest club is he just does not bring the simple skill set they bring. Novak when engaged is clinically perfect. Medvedev does absolutely nothing as well except the serve. Medvedev certainly is no where in the the stratosphere of the Fed easy on the eye effortless game, nor does he have any weapon anywhere close to the Nadal hook forehand. In short, the torch passed from Lendl to Sampras to Fed, and then the shared torch with Fed, Nadal, and Novak, has no one left to be passed to.
                              Last edited by stroke; 09-10-2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• It's early days yet, stroke. Medvedev has excellent qualities and for me it's whether he can survive the tennis world's spotlight and the expectations that come with it. I think he can.

As I said to Phil, the world tour finals will be all the more interesting with him in the draw.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7821 users online. 9 members and 7812 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X