Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking maybe semi western with left hand and eastern with his right. When my students have their forehand in semi and left close or in semi nobody looks quite comfortable.

Comment

• John, how about an article on how to combat the muscle memory resulting from executing a stroke in a particular fashion? Sometimes making a change to a particular stroke can be very difficult. You think you have changed something, then look at the video you took and you made very little change. Or did you do one and have I missed it?

Comment

• Phil,
        This might do the trick. Sometime if you and I are ever in the same country at the same time, I am going to fix your racket drop.

Comment

• Bobby,

Yeah the other hand... I agree looks easternish 3/3 but with the fingers bunched. Make sense he would want that hand just set in the right grip. Obviously it's just gonna drop off if he goes forehand side.

See any movement or adjustment to the left hand in the motion?
          Last edited by johnyandell; 04-27-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Phil,
            This might do the trick. Sometime if you and I are ever in the same country at the same time, I am going to fix your racket drop.

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...ing/index.html
            Ah... Thanks John!

Comment

• I don't see any motion it looks semi in arm action side videos but when I go to backhand return I don't see much right hand grip change either. Also wondering if left is eastern or semi?

Comment

• I think it's eastern. Hand looks pretty much behind the handle--if anything shaded toward the top not semi.

Comment

• quick thoughts on this girls fh?

Comment

• Your video on Youtube

John -

There's another one of your videos on youtube. it is titled "Yandell Preparation 26". Name associated with it is Outside The Line. Looks to be older video

Comment

• bowt,

pretty damn athletic. looks good! definitely a wta style backswing. The main thing I take from it is basic technique is solid and she looks like she is loving the game--and playing on grass! Now Rick Macci and Brian Gordon would be all over you about that backswing.

Comment

• Seano,

Damn that is a good piece of work! I hadn't looked at in quite a while. Only 171 views... don't know whether to be happy or sad...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          bowt,

pretty damn athletic. looks good! definitely a wta style backswing. The main thing I take from it is basic technique is solid and she looks like she is loving the game--and playing on grass! Now Rick Macci and Brian Gordon would be all over you about that backswing.
                          do you think girls gravitate towards the WTA style or do you think girls can develop an ATP style at this age?

Comment

• bowt,

great question. since I am not a developmental coach and haven't seen hundreds of kids I am not absolutely sure. I have seen dozens of kids at Macci's who have some version of that backswing at early ages. Brian Gordon feels strongly it is the way to go... other coaches say yeah but the kids lose velocity...

It doesn't hurt to experiment. I have had good luck going back to some of my old girls' high school team players and compacting backswings... check out the current and the previous articles in my forehand series--or revisit Brian and Rick...

Comment

• Hi John, where is the Paul Lubbers article? Thanks.

Comment

• It's coming!!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5479 users online. 2 members and 5477 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X