Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have clicked on it recently it won't light up--not sure for how long but that's what it means.

Comment

• Thanks for investigating

Comment

• page 2 on myth of the pitch says myth of the toss

Comment

• Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Yeah it's a fascinating question. What is that margin? For fun we've had our writers and editors look at two high speed pro clips, say of a serve or a forehand and try to guess which was in and which was out. You know what? The success rate was 50%.

I mean unless the ball hits the side of the frame or something.

And then there is the mental dimension and how that plays havoc with your muscles. If you think you are going to miss you do. If you think you'll make the shot, you likely will.

What I learned to do in coaching was not to let myself get pinned down by that question and have literally said to many players--if anyone can look at one miss and tell exactly what went wrong on that one ball, they are lying.

So I think it's a question of swing shapes--including what the whole body is doing--staying as close to good technique as possible, and understanding the mental dimension. The truth is the player is only one really in a position to say for sure why he missed...
            Can I put a vote in regarding this idea? I think it would be great to have this type of discussion, though would have to be somewhat more comprehensive than just one one stroke ect. For example, I was watching the Sam Querry match today, and this very question was on my mind. Why was he miss hitting so many balls? The answer I provided to myself goes back to lack of a consistent movement pattern American trained players don't have versus internationals. Before I digress to far, to have that discussion would be meaningful because in many cases it's what many of us are doing as we are doing with players/teams ect. We are doing it to some degree here already, where video of players is sent in and analysis is made. But a more formal structure might be interesting.

Greg Lumb
            InsideOut Tennis

Comment

• Sure start a thread!

When you look at a lot of clips you may see trends or tendencies with certain players on certain balls that may contribute to a percentage of misses over time. But again to look at one ball that is two inches out and say "that is the reason" is tough.

Nick Saviano always said errors could be technical, tactical, mental or movement related.

I think that if the player looks good on a range of balls without obviously flaws in numerous repetitions, that's about as far as a coach can take him or her.

The only other step is to try to get the player to communicate what may go thru his mind on misses in terms of negative or distracting thoughts.

Comment

• iphone

Good morning,
                I am NOT able to load the article by Macci on my iphone.

I get stuck after I see Djokovic finishing his backhand
                Please help
                PS I waited around 15 minutes for a result.
                The very beginning works

Comment

• Tight?

has a description
                  "1st Deuce FH V4 Tight"
                  What is the meaning of the word Tight in this particular context?

Comment

• That sequence is mislabeled! There is no FHV!

Comment

• I do NOT understand

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      That sequence is mislabeled! There is no FHV!
                      I an NOT sure whether I follow.
                      Is the phrase "tight" still valid?
                      It is NOT biggy-I just wanted to understand

Comment

• Nope invalid. We usually use it to refer to tight camera angle.

Comment

• stepsâ€

"3. Reacting. Reacting means initiating the movement correctly through a variety of possible initial steps—what I call Out Steps--and then setting up an appropriate hitting stance."

World Class Movement:
                          An Overview

is steps†an error?

Comment

• No a technical term! Kidding good catch! read just "steps"...

Comment

• link not working

http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...olleyFront.pct

Comment

• Excellent. Good catch.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2390 users online. 10 members and 2380 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X