X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want me to keep doing this?

Comment

• Yeah that's great! With 65,000 plus links there are bound to be a few broken ones--when you encounter one list it and we will get to it asap.

Comment

• Search for something... then click on new issue... Where do you end up?

Comment

• Great one! Back at the issue that started it all in 2005! Will fixed that link...

Comment

• Dates of articles

How about posting the dates of articles. Sometimes I'm reading an article and I have no idea how old it is. It would be great to know if I'm reading an article that's 5 years old, especially if I'm looking at technical stuff like the string articles.

Same thing goes for an article that talks about the latest training methods, which are actually 7 year old and no longer really used as cutting edge.

Comment

• Great point. To be honest I have thought the same but I can't even remember the dates of most of them. Maybe we can at least start to date the new ones. Not cutting edge? Every piece is timeless!

Comment

• Yes, dating the new ones would be great. It would be difficult to go back and add dates (even if you were able to remember them) to the hundreds of articles.

Ah, timeless. Yes! I love reading some of the older stuff and reminiscing. But it's crazy how much the new technology, i.e. rackets and strings, have made so many tenets obsolete.

Comment

• It's an interesting question--what the implications of the technology are at what levels.

My read is that many player's technical aspirations exceed their (current at least) skill level. Still the strings especially allow lower level players to add variety in spin, swing shapes, trajectories, angles--but this depends on having the underlying fundamentals.

I see a lot of cart before the horse in this regard.

Comment

• You know, that's really interesting. I was wondering what effect the new technology had on the lower levels. It seems like the rackets have done a great job in advancing players of all levels, but I was wondering about the strings. I've been out of the game too long to really make an educated determination, but it seems that the polys really need to be whacked in order to perform maximally. So I have no idea how the lower levels perform with them, especially with the lack of good technical fundamentals, and really the knowledge of what they are really trying to accomplish. Since I've come back I have a number of people asking my advice on the stings/rackets and I have no idea what to tell them. I just tell them that I'm still trying to figure it out myself, and I've just gone back to the same poly/gut hybrid that I've been using since 2002. But the last couple of weeks I've been tinkering with other co-poly setups just to see what's out there and I'm seeing a big difference in a number of the top brands.

No doubt the technology has changed tennis immensely, just as technology has changed golf and skiing, etc., with equipment that performs optimally for advanced participant, but that would be highly detrimental to someone with lesser skills. But yes, what are the implications for tennis at the various levels.

I read Kerry Mitchell's article on the possible return of serve and volley tennis with a glint of hope, but more with the melancholy of loss. Kerry and I play very similar styles, so a return of serve and volley would be most welcome. I just don't see it happening at the top levels under the current conditions. Even before I quit playing the last time, and before the surgeries when I was still quick, I had seconds thoughts about s&v. Definitely thought long and hard when playing the college kids, but even playing against guys from my own era who I beat comfortably for a million years playing s&v. And now in DOUBLES (well, 6 years ago before I quit), there were times that I would stay back on second serves because the returns were so tough. Sure I'm getting older, but those same guys I've been playing for a million years are getting older as well.

Anyway, happy to be back and I'm LOVING the site. Thanks!

Comment

• Great words! Check out Matt's article on poly in the current issue. Then look at the physics section for more about how poly works and more on the implications.

Comment

• Mr. Yandell,

If you were to ask Roger a question about technical details, I'm wondering what would be your question...

I'm telling you this because he's going to be on www.reddit.com tomorrow at 1h30pm EST answering questions. I was hoping that everyone here must know this information because it's big enough to report.

If some members of tennisplayer.net can be there tomorrow, it would be great and helpful for the community. I've always felt that people here are really into depth and details and I believe they will have the best questions for Roger that is not too cliche.

I've shared the source in the "interesting link" thread. I'm a bit excited Mr. Yandell and I'm not advertising Reddit. I thought it's something that we can all benefit from this event of tomorrow...

Comment

• My question would be how much he ever thinks about technique... don't know if I can make it but I will try. Anyone else outhere gonna appear??

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                            My question would be how much he ever thinks about technique... don't know if I can make it but I will try. Anyone else outhere gonna appear??
                            Yes, here's the source to confirm http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Ten...eddit-AMA.aspx

The way it works is that someone ask a question and if it's interesting and relevant for most people and for Roger, they will "upvote" (giving points to the question) and the chance of getting the question answered is pretty high.

Of course, it all depends on Roger and he can still answer your question even if you only have 1 point. What matters is to attract him to answer the question regardless of points. Points is only for better exposure and we can ask many questions as we wanted. I'll try to be there on time and I'm under another username.

Hopefully I will not be the only person of tennisplayer.net

Comment

• Many of the flash videos in most articles are not working for me. Am I the only one?

Using the latest Chrome.

Comment

• SF,

Try updating your adobe flash player. That solved the problem for one guy..Depending on what computer and operating system, you might also try just switching to Explorer or Safari...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3251 users online. 5 members and 3246 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X